e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
February storm threat discussion

Ellinwood

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This says all that any of us weenie amatuers need to know.

AFTN MODEL AND ENS GUIDANCE CONTINUES UNDERMINE ANY ALREADY LOW

CONFIDENCE IN ANY RELIABLE SOLUTION OVER MUCH OF CONUS......

THE VERY LARGE SPREAD OF SOLUTIONS AND

UNCERTAINTY AND A GREAT WEATHER AND SOCIAL POTENTIAL IMPACT IN

WHATEVER SOLUTION TURNS OUT TO BE CORRECT WARRANTS A WINTER STORM

PACIFIC RECON WHICH WILL BE FLOWN EARLY THIS WEEK

it's time for the MA weenies to start to work their magic and find a way to keep the AO dropping over the next 5 days (or more)

I'll leave it to you and your consciences to determine the best method

it's time for the MA weenies to start to work their magic and find a way to keep the AO dropping over the next 5 days (or more)

I'll leave it to you and your consciences to determine the best method

I'll try to think of something good. Meanwhile, I think I'll trust no model more than about 3 days in advance.

How often does a transfer of energy take place like that? I would think it is not too often, at least in my memory. If anything, they occur too far east or north of us.

Rarely, It is hard to get a low in the Piedmont. But the model actually shows the low just east of Raleigh where cad isn't quite as strong.

Edit: it happened 12/16/2005 and 3/13/2010

I just don't see this storm being modeled to the point that it even looks like some huge winter storm... Is this really necessary?

I just don't see this storm being modeled to the point that it even looks like some huge winter storm... Is this really necessary?

I think that's the point. With wild swings within models and the differences between models, they must feel that they need better data to try and help resolve those issues.

And to your thought, perhaps they do see the potential of this being a major winter storm for someone, thus the need to be able to put out a forecast with as much advance lead time as possible.

Hopefully the tide turns in our favor soon. There is alot in the air about the 10-15 of February possible snow threat. While we have been getting screwed all winter long. Now it is our time to shine. I would not be such a weenie this year if it was not for our crappy winter. I know it's a long ways out. I am getting a little curious about next years winter. I will say it again, its a long ways out, does anyone have an opinion on winter 2012-2013? I have read and I am sure others have on a possible weak-mod El Nino. If I annoy anyone, my bad!

You might want to take that type of question to another or a new thread. It doesn't fit in here and may actually serve to derail the discussion. Not to mention it is far too early to even be looking that far ahead. We still have the rest of THIS winter, spring, summer, AND fall to get through.

Euro and gfs agree on 2 things right now and I don't mind either of them. Miller B on tap for the end of the week and a -nao beyond that. Wouldn't take much for the weekend storm to be our biggest event of the winter.

It's a negative NAO but still is not what you usually want as the heights near nova scotia and just to its east are high so we have trouble getting confluence though at such long time ranges that's probably not terribly important. We also would do better with a southern stream. Next weekend is interesting as it might offer a period of snow to ice prior to a changeover. Even if the models don't have the details right, there is lots of work to do to get a decent snowstorm out of it. Still, we haven't had a decent snow. I'm not a fan of miller b unless the 500h goes to our south. But beggars can't be choosy.

It's a negative NAO but still is not what you usually want as the heights near nova scotia and just to its east are high so we have trouble getting confluence though at such long time ranges that's probably not terribly important. We also would do better with a southern stream. Next weekend is interesting as it might offer a period of snow to ice prior to a changeover. Even if the models don't have the details right, there is lots of work to do to get a decent snowstorm out of it. Still, we haven't had a decent snow. I'm not a fan of miller b unless the 500h goes to our south. But beggars can't be choosy.

Totally agree on both points. Not an ideal -nao at all but it some time away so we'll see if it materializes at all. Seeing heights build anywhere in that region is a big plus considering where we've been so far.

I'm used to miller b's being duds around here. Gotta wonder what we can squeeze out of the front end. HP to the n&w does show some promise and I think we stand an ok chance at some wintery precip before the primary gets to our n&w. Best case (imo) would be a couple inches of snow with some ice on the front, then dryslotted after 850's get warm.

Archived