joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 21 event

Ian

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only got 3-4 hours last night but I'll sleep tomorrow afternoon. Up tonight for the entire 1st wave. Once it lulls I'll go to bed for at least a few hours.

i gotta cover cwg starting at like 5 and write the forecast after going to dinner so im tempted to stay up tho i think im getting sick too so we'll see how that goes.

It could fizzle. I'd like to see temps start to drop

yeah.. considering they were cold today they arent terribly impressive now. but the dp spread should allow a decent amount of cooling initially. either way the excitement here is probably overnight for the most part unless we get lucky.

Verification time...

20120121_MAsnow_comparison.png

Cold air damming allowed for more snow at the onset of the storm than what I was expecting, which resulted in broader 1-2 inch coverage east of the mountains in central VA, MD, DC and southern NJ. This also allowed the freezing rain and sleet to work a bit further south. The back end of the system also had a surprise up its sleeve, bringing up to seven inches of snow to the Pittsburgh area. The snow underperformed a bit along the southern edge in the mountains where warmer temperatures led to more mixing and plain old rain.

The higher snow totals were captured pretty well for the most part, especially along the southern edges of the 2-4 inch and 4-8 inch contours.

I knew the snow was a bit of a risk in the CAD region, but I didn't pull the trigger on it and ended up paying for it. I'm going to give this forecast a grade of B-... the northern areas were quite good, but the southern areas suffered a bit.

-----

I have a new map design that I will roll out during the next snow event. On top of being a larger image, it also has county lines and interstates for easier interpretation.

Verification time...

20120121_MAsnow_comparison.png

Cold air damming allowed for more snow at the onset of the storm than what I was expecting, which resulted in broader 1-2 inch coverage east of the mountains in central VA, MD, DC and southern NJ. This also allowed the freezing rain and sleet to work a bit further south. The back end of the system also had a surprise up its sleeve, bringing up to seven inches of snow to the Pittsburgh area. The snow underperformed a bit along the southern edge in the mountains where warmer temperatures led to more mixing and plain old rain.

The higher snow totals were captured pretty well for the most part, especially along the southern edges of the 2-4 inch and 4-8 inch contours.

I knew the snow was a bit of a risk in the CAD region, but I didn't pull the trigger on it and ended up paying for it. I'm going to give this forecast a grade of B-... the northern areas were quite good, but the southern areas suffered a bit.

-----

I have a new map design that I will roll out during the next snow event. On top of being a larger image, it also has county lines and interstates for easier interpretation.

Nice job, as you usually do. Let's hope that you get to pull that new map design out soon and often. :snowing:

MDstorm

Archived