12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Winter '11/'12 Complaint Thread

A-L-E-K

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My flowers are confused. My Irises came upand my snow drops are blooming in my front yard.

[/quote

Funny you mention this. I've been wondering if the hardy growth has come early this year. It happened in 98 and 02. Nature can tell/teach one allot about the present and future.

My biggest complaint about winter in general is the overall lack of sun. I hate being down wind from the Lakes. I agree with powerball. I would take a Chicago winter any day over a Detroit winter. Higher bomb potentials and slightly more sunny days. Although this winter has not been nearly as gray as last year.

Still think a sub 20 inch is possible but not likely. I won't take it off the table. Sub 30 might been a given. But these totals are only speculation based on what we have seen and trends.

Anything thing can happen. Biggest lesson from this winter or lack of so far. La Niño continues.

fddx.gif

If I have one complaint about this winter it is the fact that everytime I finally get 3-6" on the ground a meltdown is less then 48 hours away.

I will say that the heating bill has been easy to take!!

I have a pellet burner and I have only used about a 1/4 of my bags of pellets. At this rate I may not even have to buy that much if any for next year!! :)

I cannot complain too much though as I have been able to do several winter activities. Less then desired but I still have plenty of time to get out.

Using only consistent airport locations since the late 40s, this winter is currently 4th warmest at 35.0 degrees. First place through today goes to 2001/2002 at 35.8, second is 35.6 in 82/83, and 3rd is 35.5 in 49/50. So here in Cleveland, there's definitely the possibility that this will be the warmest winter on record at the airport.

It looks like JBs outlook for a "fab february" may go down the drain. This winter is over.

I would agree warm temps look likely, but the weather could get more interesting if the cold air can start to fight the warm air, even though the warm air is winning. In Febuary 1999 it was 7F above normal for my part of Ohio, but there was above normal snowfall. It was a 75F one day, two days later it dropped into the 20s and snowed 3 inches. 7 inches total for the month. This is far more interesting then cold constantly.

One thing I don't understand is snow lovers wanting spring to come "ASAFP!!"...I understand that this winter has blown chunks but as a snow lover I personally take every snow we can muster in stride and don't want it to all end for another ten months just because we have finally seen our epic stretch of winters end across the region. But, that's just me.

One thing I don't understand is snow lovers wanting spring to come "ASAFP!!"...I understand that this winter has blown chunks but as a snow lover I personally take every snow we can muster in stride and don't want it to all end for another ten months just because we have finally seen our epic stretch of winters end across the region. But, that's just me.

Me either. I agree 100% with you. The models will continue to be an absolute mess, and you would think with whats going on in Alaska plus the MJO, our area would be good for some good cold in a few weeks or so. But I will admit Im starting to get skeptical of ever seeing a sustained period of good winter weather this winter (meaning 2+ weeks of temps AOB freezing and constant snowpack). But for those that just like snowstorms, there is 2.5 months left to go for that potential, so I really dont get the spring talk from snowlovers, but to each their own. Naturally its not a lock, but way more often than not mild winters are followed by cold, snowy springs, at least here.

Me either. I agree 100% with you. The models will continue to be an absolute mess, and you would think with whats going on in Alaska plus the MJO, our area would be good for some good cold in a few weeks or so. But I will admit Im starting to get skeptical of ever seeing a sustained period of good winter weather this winter (meaning 2+ weeks of temps AOB freezing and constant snowpack). But for those that just like snowstorms, there is 2.5 months left to go for that potential, so I really dont get the spring talk from snowlovers, but to each their own. Naturally its not a lock, but way more often than not mild winters are followed by cold, snowy springs, at least here.

If my backyard could muster 20" in 36 hours between from late April 23 to early April 25 in 2005, I'm not going to give up on seeing a snowstorm possibility until it is clear we are moving into a warm pattern and it is solidly spring (not January 31).

I'd honestly go without another 2"+ snowstorm in February or March if we could muster an April 2005 or 2007 again in the lower lakes...just insanity those two Aprils were, especially downwind of the lakes.

I would tend to agree with this.

Sure, today was a nice 60ish respite from true winter. But I can't imagine having an end to winter now with 40s through Feb, 50s through March, and 60s through April.

To put it bluntly this weather sucks. I honestly do not know how people in North Carolina and the rest of the mid south can take this kind of weather for the majority of October through April. Sure, it may be more pleasant walking from your car to work, school, or shopping in this kind of weather, but it's not like you can enjoy the outdoors any more.

I took a walk down to the park today. How fun ... I still had to put on a coat to cut the chill and wind, the ground is covered in mud, I got to stare at leftover leaves blowing over a dead brown grass landscape, barren leafless vegetation everywhere. Not very scenic. It's not like you can go outside and read a book or eat your lunch or play much of any sports. So when people brag about moving from the North down to North Carolina or Atlanta and then brag about how nice the winters are, I realize they must just sit at home and watch TV all the time.

I enjoy winter because of all the recreation opportunities it brings and how it offers a much more scenic landscape to do typical outdoor hiking and walking stuff. There's so much more you can do outside at 25 degrees with snow, versus 50 and sun.

Especially with such early sunsets I do not see what the appeal of a springlike winter is to many. I really do not know what kind of outdoor activities people in the mid south do in the winter. I guess if golfing in a coat on a dead brown golf course with leafless trees and mud everywhere is your thing so be it. I'll gladly take my snowstorms and snow hobbies any day.

Sure, today was a nice 60ish respite from true winter. But I can't imagine having an end to winter now with 40s through Feb, 50s through March, and 60s through April.

To put it bluntly this weather sucks. I honestly do not know how people in North Carolina and the rest of the mid south can take this kind of weather for the majority of October through April. Sure, it may be more pleasant walking from your car to work, school, or shopping in this kind of weather, but it's not like you can enjoy the outdoors any more.

I took a walk down to the park today. How fun ... I still had to put on a coat to cut the chill and wind, the ground is covered in mud, I got to stare at leftover leaves blowing over a dead brown grass landscape, barren leafless vegetation everywhere. Not very scenic. It's not like you can go outside and read a book or eat your lunch or play much of any sports. So when people brag about moving from the North down to North Carolina or Atlanta and then brag about how nice the winters are, I realize they must just sit at home and watch TV all the time.

I enjoy winter because of all the recreation opportunities it brings and how it offers a much more scenic landscape to do typical outdoor hiking and walking stuff. There's so much more you can do outside at 25 degrees with snow, versus 50 and sun.

Especially with such early sunsets I do not see what the appeal of a springlike winter is to many. I really do not know what kind of outdoor activities people in the mid south do in the winter. I guess if golfing in a coat on a dead brown golf course with leafless trees and mud everywhere is your thing so be it. I'll gladly take my snowstorms and snow hobbies any day.

Great post! :thumbsup:

I enjoy going down to the south for just a few days every couple winters to get a respite from a harsh winter, but otherwise I agree.

My thinking is that people who enjoy southern winters are:

1) Elderly folks who have no desire to drive in the snow and are probably not the most active skiers/snowboarders.

2) Commuters who can enjoy not seeing snowy conditions more than perhaps 1-4 times a winter and "crippling conditions" (what we would consider "kind of bad") perhaps once every other winter or so, depending on how far south you are located.

This winter, no trip to the south to feel 60-70 degree warmth is really necessary.

Archived