• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Winter '11/'12 Complaint Thread

A-L-E-K

Could be worse.. but there really is no sugar coating this GFS winter so far.. I guess there is a little bit as I at least got to get some snow cover fetish time in this January with 18 days in a row of it. Just let the dog out and was stunned to see a north facing house with still a small patch of snow hanging on on the roof yet.

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would tend to agree with this.

Sure, today was a nice 60ish respite from true winter. But I can't imagine having an end to winter now with 40s through Feb, 50s through March, and 60s through April.

To put it bluntly this weather sucks. I honestly do not know how people in North Carolina and the rest of the mid south can take this kind of weather for the majority of October through April. Sure, it may be more pleasant walking from your car to work, school, or shopping in this kind of weather, but it's not like you can enjoy the outdoors any more.

I took a walk down to the park today. How fun ... I still had to put on a coat to cut the chill and wind, the ground is covered in mud, I got to stare at leftover leaves blowing over a dead brown grass landscape, barren leafless vegetation everywhere. Not very scenic. It's not like you can go outside and read a book or eat your lunch or play much of any sports. So when people brag about moving from the North down to North Carolina or Atlanta and then brag about how nice the winters are, I realize they must just sit at home and watch TV all the time.

I enjoy winter because of all the recreation opportunities it brings and how it offers a much more scenic landscape to do typical outdoor hiking and walking stuff. There's so much more you can do outside at 25 degrees with snow, versus 50 and sun.

Especially with such early sunsets I do not see what the appeal of a springlike winter is to many. I really do not know what kind of outdoor activities people in the mid south do in the winter. I guess if golfing in a coat on a dead brown golf course with leafless trees and mud everywhere is your thing so be it. I'll gladly take my snowstorms and snow hobbies any day.

You nailed it with this post. I don't know what they do between Cincinnati and Jacksonville from Nov through April 1st. I always shrug when someone blabs about how nice it is to live in Tennessee or North Carolina because of the lack of snow. I feel sorry for them.

I enjoy going down to the south for just a few days every couple winters to get a respite from a harsh winter, but otherwise I agree.

My thinking is that people who enjoy southern winters are:

1) Elderly folks who have no desire to drive in the snow and are probably not the most active skiers/snowboarders.

2) Commuters who can enjoy not seeing snowy conditions more than perhaps 1-4 times a winter and "crippling conditions" (what we would consider "kind of bad") perhaps once every other winter or so, depending on how far south you are located.

This winter, no trip to the south to feel 60-70 degree warmth is really necessary.

I can understand Jamaica or an area that can insert you into a 100% summer atmosphere immediately, but nothing in between. Everywhere North of Orlando is worthless in the winter until you hit the Michigan boarder.

You nailed it with this post. I don't know what they do between Cincinnati and Jacksonville from Nov through April 1st. I always shrug when someone blabs about how nice it is to live in Tennessee or North Carolina because of the lack of snow. I feel sorry for them.

The temperatures in the 50s today was unusually warm too. Usually a mild winter day here has temps around 40F with a strong wind. What good is that? I remember how mild December 2006 was around here. However, it was what seemed like day after day of upper 30s with a strong SW or W wind. That type of weather is useless. I would rather have a bright sunny 20F day with a light wind over a damp windy upper 30s day if the weather is going to be boring anyway. The sun angle this time of year makes a differene too. If it would have been a sunny mid 50s days in late April, it would have felt much warmer than today did.

Bring on Severe Weather, to hell with snow.

If we don't get a decent severe weather season this year, I'll be throwing in the towel, and losing my interest in weather. It's not like I can just pack up, and go somewhere else where they have more interesting weather. Don't have money to, and my family is here.

If we don't get a decent severe weather season this year, I'll be throwing in the towel, and losing my interest in weather. It's not like I can just pack up, and go somewhere else where they have more interesting weather. Don't have money to, and my family is here.

Locally might be an issue as you know things tend to be more variable here. As for the region as a whole I am expecting an above average severe weather season and early season. The only wrench in that plan is if we actually end up having sustained cold for most of March.

Locally might be an issue as you know things tend to be more variable here. As for the region as a whole I am expecting an above average severe weather season and early season. The only wrench in that plan is if we actually end up having sustained cold for most of March.

Well, the AO surely points to a brutal ending of winter.

post-5974-0-12687000-1328059013.gif

Complaint #1 Spring Teaser days!

56 degrees and mostly sunny skies in late JAN is a cruel joke. Thanks for the early case of Spring Fever and Winter Depression

Complaint #2 Nuisance snows and nickel and dimes.

Don't waste my time or ease of commute with 1-3 inch events. They are pointless. If its going to snow then it needs to rip.

Complaint #3 Persistent mostly cloudy days.

Living downwind from Lk Michigan Blows..Steel gray skies that persist for up to 10 days is no way to live your life. Take a hike dick face clouds.

56 degrees and mostly sunny skies in late JAN is a cruel joke. Thanks for the early case of Spring Fever and Winter Depression

Don't waste my time or ease of commute with 1-3 inch events. They are pointless. If its going to snow then it needs to rip.

Living downwind from Lk Michigan Blows..Steel gray skies that persist for up to 10 days is no way to live your life. Take a hike dick face clouds.

My opinion of the above (to each their own of course)

#1) I agree, but its not that I get spring fever from days like this...I just plan out think they are disgusting

#2) I disagree, I hear so many people on here say 1-3" events are pointless but they sure do seem to enjoy them when they are happening lol. But to each their own. For me, I enjoy any and all snow, and especially in a more typical MI winter, you usually get several of these events and some cold that can build up a nice snowpack for a time, not this Denver-esque up and down weather weve seen this year where each snow melts before the next.

#3) I disagree, as morbid as this may sound to some, I love gray days in winter. We see little sun here in the winter, but even when we do I dont care for it. Days on end of sun actually depress me, not days of clouds. SAD is one disease I know Ill never catch LOL.

Bull#it.

What's funny is that all winter I've been programming an app in C# that takes raw GRIB and NetCDF data, and plots it. It will pull data from the motherlode server hosted at Unidata with OPeNDAP. I don't know about you guys, but I hate looking at maps and data on my web browser, and I like making my own custom maps.

:facepalm::clap:

My opinion of the above (to each their own of course)

#1) I agree, but its not that I get spring fever from days like this...I just plan out think they are disgusting

#2) I disagree, I hear so many people on here say 1-3" events are pointless but they sure do seem to enjoy them when they are happening lol. But to each their own. For me, I enjoy any and all snow, and especially in a more typical MI winter, you usually get several of these events and some cold that can build up a nice snowpack for a time, not this Denver-esque up and down weather weve seen this year where each snow melts before the next.

#3) I disagree, as morbid as this may sound to some, I love gray days in winter. We see little sun here in the winter, but even when we do I dont care for it. Days on end of sun actually depress me, not days of clouds. SAD is one disease I know Ill never catch LOL.

Are you some sort of Vampire..?

Are you some sort of Vampire..?

Same with me.. In fact I LOVE to be outside MORE during those cloudy and cold days during the winter and damp dreary days in the summer.. I run a lot and there is nothing better than a nice cloudy day to go out for a nice 10 miler.. Don't get me wrong the sunny days are nice and all every once in a while( 1-2 days a week is primo IMO) but I just love the cloudy/cool days more..

Im with freak on this one. I love dark gray clouds and many 1-3" events. Of course i want a monster but i will take several 1-3". Todays weather pissed me off. Finally get a snow pack and like a snap of the finger its gone!. Sick and tired of these above average temps. Its like a broken record. Above above above above above. Is it ever below for more then 2 days?

Same with me.. In fact I LOVE to be outside MORE during those cloudy and cold days during the winter and damp dreary days in the summer.. I run a lot and there is nothing better than a nice cloudy day to go out for a nice 10 miler.. Don't get me wrong the sunny days are nice and all every once in a while( 1-2 days a week is primo IMO) but I just love the cloudy/cool days more..

Cloudy days don't bother me either. I favor the maritime type climate you find in the Pac NW. Cloudy days are good for hiking and biking too!

Nothing like this forecast for the coldest portion of Buffalos winter on average...Hit a high of 58 today with sunshine, played some street hockey. -.- :sun:

Friday: Partly sunny, with a high near 39.

Friday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 29.

Saturday: Partly sunny, with a high near 37.

Saturday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 27.

Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 39.

Sunday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 26.

Monday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 38.

Monday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 28.

Tuesday: Partly sunny, with a high near 36.

Archived