joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter '11/'12 Complaint Thread

A-L-E-K

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They actually get bombed from time to time. Also there chances of getting ds slotted are slightly lower. They get no lake mod and get to taste true arctic air. Yes Chicago gets way better winters. It's not because of this year either.

Chicago has had one nice snowfall this season after having next to none prior. Detroit still has had nearly 3 inches more on the season actually due to the nickel and diming, but this season has been an all-around suckfest anyway you look at it. Detroit still sees more snowstorms than Chicago, though ORD does seem to have a higher bomb potential. But how in the heck do you figure their chances of getting dry-slotted are lower? It is true they dont get the lake mod of arctic air. But as for the snow stats, in every single snow statistic (except the occasional bomb), Detroit beats Chicago, and snow is what I care about most in winter, so IMO Detroit is better than Chicago. Although its funny to say either has "way better winters" than the other because they are so relatively close in climate. This is a weather hobbyist picking apart statistics, the average joe would be able to tell no difference between a Chicago and Detroit winter.

I browsed the f-6s, and since 2006-07, Chicago has officially had 6 storms drop 6"+, while Detroit officially has had 12 storms drop 6"+. And as posted above, Detroit averages more 1"+, 3"+, and 5"+ snowstorms per NWS NOWdata.

Last 10 years snowfall:

2010-11: DTW: 69.1", ORD: 57.9"

2009-10: DTW: 43.7", ORD: 54.2"

2008-09: DTW: 65.7", ORD: 52.7"

2007-08: DTW: 71.7", ORD: 60.3"

2006-07: DTW: 30.3", ORD: 35.6"

2005-06: DTW: 36.3", ORD: 26.0"

2004-05: DTW: 63.8", ORD: 39.4"

2003-04: DTW: 24.1", ORD: 24.8"

2002-03: DTW: 60.9", ORD: 28.6"

2001-02: DTW: 33.7", ORD: 31.1"

In the 10 winters preceding this one, Detroit has beaten Chicago 7 out of 10 times, and the total snowfall has been an accumulated 88.7 inches higher at Detroit than Chicago (which "averages" 8.9" per season). I will take Detroit, thank you.

Back on topic, heres a complaint lol. Have been busy the last week and got very little sleep this weekend, so decided to take a nap this afternoon. Closed the shade, full snowcover, slept a few hours, woke up, opened the shade, grass with just a few piles. Though I was completely expecting the snow to melt, no way getting around how much that sucked.

This winter has convinced me to try to transfer to Michigan State University at some point in my future college career. They have a meterology program and they get 100 inches of snow a year. Which would be worth it in my opinion. lol Better than the 28 inches a year in Columbus.

Western Michigan is your best bet to get 100"+. Unless you want to venture to the U.P.

Hell it seems western MI has been doing better than most of the U.P. in recent winters.

Still would go to the U.P schools over any school in the lower if you like snow

To bring back an earlier point you made in comparison to ORD-DTW... Its a no brainier in my mind to go with DTW winters. The only thing Chicago has Colder temps in a frigid air mass while DTW is getting LES Snow showers and a monster event that rarely happens but it did happen last year and that's what I think many people are basing there opion on.

Suburbs... I would most defiantly take Detroit Suburbs over Chicago's burbs.

Still would go to the U.P schools over any school in the lower if you like snow

To bring back an earlier point you made in comparison to ORD-DTW... Its a no brainier in my mind to go with DTW winters. The only thing Chicago has Colder temps in a frigid air mass while DTW is getting LES Snow showers and a monster event that rarely happens but it did happen last year and that's what I think many people are basing there opion on.

Suburbs... I would most defiantly take Detroit Suburbs over Chicago's burbs.

Agree 100%. Chicago got buried with GHD, cars abandoned on Lake Shore Drive made national news. They were also the jackpot of the infamous New Years '99 blizzard. But they still get less 6"+ storms than Detroit (and fwiw I do not consider 6" anything close to nickel and diming). Even when you put aside all the snow statistics that show DTW is favored over ORD, another plus for me is cloudy days are more plentiful at Detroit. I know this sounds crazy to probably even most snow-lovers, but I LOVE a gray winter day, and not just when its snowing. Just like the lake modifies the arctic air, so too does it modify heatwaves, a huge plus for me (and f*** me for even MENTIONING summer in January lol ;) )

One thing I will say though, I mentioned this earlier, while both ORD and DTW are wintry climates in comparison to much of the rest of the country, if anyone were to relocate soley for the purpose of winter and snow alone, neither NE IL or SE MI should be on the top of their list.

I know this a little bit OT, but what do you guys think the best city in the Midwest for good synoptic snowfalls is? I know Bowme thinks it is Milwaukee, and it is certainly up there. When I think of a good synoptic snowfall, it would be 6"+ or so as many have been using. The Northwoods get lake effect snow and clippers up the wazoo, but not necessarily any more impressive number or intensity of synoptic snowfalls over 6 inches.

I know this a little bit OT, but what do you guys think the best city in the Midwest for good synoptic snowfalls is? I know Bowme thinks it is Milwaukee, and it is certainly up there. When I think of a good synoptic snowfall, it would be 6"+ or so as many have been using. The Northwoods get lake effect snow and clippers up the wazoo, but not necessarily any more impressive number or intensity of synoptic snowfalls over 6 inches.

Synoptic snow top spot? I would say Minneapolis actually.

BTW, synoptic storms do not compare to real lake effect. Lake effect is the only snow that creates mushroom topped rooves in snowbelts. Sadly we havent gotten that this year anywhere.

Its not really the midwest, but Scranton,PA always does well with synoptic.

I'd say you can find the jackpot synoptic zone of the region by drawing a line from MSP to MQT to DVN and back to MSP. That triangle is where you can get clippers, colorado lows/texas hookers, and your occasional gulf bomb.

BTW, synoptic storms do not compare to real lake effect. Lake effect is the only snow that creates mushroom topped rooves in snowbelts. Sadly we havent gotten that this year anywhere.

It was pointed out to me how difficult it is for LES to survive a torch since it is usually so light and fluffy. Sure, the places that get it up north don't torch as much to begin with, but the fluffy snow can be melted very quickly just by jumping or stepping on it. It has its positives and negatives.

Actually, you have a good point. However, I think MSP averages about the same if not a tad less than MKE, and MKE gets lake enhancement just as often it does pure lake effect, and lake enhancement is part of synoptic snowfalls.

Actually, you have a good point. However, I think MSP averages about the same if not a tad less than MKE, and MKE gets lake enhancement just as often it does pure lake effect, and lake enhancement is part of synoptic snowfalls.

MSP averages in the high 50s for snowfall (Tim posted the actual number a few days ago, I think 57").

MKE is sub 50" IIRC.

My call is Grand Rapids or Marquette

No.. KBTL has gotten more big events then MSP has. Talking the 18+ type bombs.

Yeah i would take se WI/MKE over MN any day.

My call is Grand Rapids or Marquette

This.. The zone between here, Kalamazoo, and Grand Rapids has been a hot spot for the big epic bombs. Talking Jan 67, 78, 79, 99 etc. Others too but those are the main/most known ones. Plus with Kalamazoo you will also get the lake enahanced/LES on the backside of the storm. You could not get me to live anywhere else in this region. A few spots out that way from near Kalamazoo up to Muskegon averages in the 90 - 105" range a season which is plenty enough for me. I believe Bloomingdale ( close to Kalamazoo ) averages like 94" a season. I would be perfectly happy living on the west side of Kalamazoo.

Advantage with Marquette is location to the lake as it usually gives them a nice boost from system snows and ofcourse you have LES. What hurts it is it is so damn remote and thus why i much prefer W.MI on down to South Bend..

Houghton gets way more then 100 inches. probably closer to 150-200 inches.

I think the average is like 220, but they count that up in Painesdale south of Houghton. Painesdale is higher in elevation then Houghton. They use to take the measurements up at the airport which isn't in Houghton, but north of Hancock. It also is located in the higher elevation. The snowfall is so variable here. You can go a few feet up a hill and get a lot more. The very first snow you can tell where the higher elevation is. I seen down by the canal there wasn't any snow to be found and just go up Memorial Drive which is M26 and start to see snow.

This.. The zone between here, Kalamazoo, and Grand Rapids has been a hot spot for the big epic bombs. Talking Jan 67, 78, 79, 99 etc. Others too but those are the main/most known ones. Plus with Kalamazoo you will also get the lake enahanced/LES on the backside of the storm. You could not get me to live anywhere else in this region. A few spots out that way from near Kalamazoo up to Muskegon averages in the 90 - 105" range a season which is plenty enough for me. I believe Bloomingdale ( close to Kalamazoo ) averages like 94" a season. I would be perfectly happy living on the west side of Kalamazoo.

Advantage with Marquette is location to the lake as it usually gives them a nice boost from system snows and ofcourse you have LES. What hurts it is it is so damn remote and thus why i much prefer W.MI on down to South Bend..

Is the best "big cities" spot in the MW for any snow. Some might argue Cleveland. Problem with Cleveland to many Rain events/Storms missing. Also Duluth is another decent spot for both.

MSP averages in the high 50s for snowfall (Tim posted the actual number a few days ago, I think 57").

MKE is sub 50" IIRC.

Idk what MSP 30-yr average is, but their 125-yr avg is just 45.6". Until last winter, they were going through the same problems Toronto is, well-below normal winters. (DTW beat MSP 4 of the 6 winters before last year).

Archived