• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter '11/'12 Complaint Thread

A-L-E-K

Well, at least December 1918 was around normal in terms of snow.

We're certainly trailblazing with this winter. It doesn't look like the 1999-00 narrative is going to work out since we're likely to head back into the furnace as we approach the beginning of February. At the same time, I refuse to believe we're going to finish up the season with like a foot of snow. It's just SOOOOOOOOOOOOO improbable based on almost 200 years of record keeping data. At some point, even if it be late March/early April, we're going to get ours. Even in 2009-10 February was close to normal.

I don't know Canuck. There's a first time for everything and for the past half decade or so we seem to have been breaking or tying a lot of records

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1.5 measley inches of snow here in southern Ohio this winter.... Looks like we will end January with less than two inches of snow. Were on pace to break 2001-2002 as the least snowiest... But we won't be alone.. Most of us will set records that we do not like seeing set in the winter.

This is going to go down as the winter that wasnt for much of Ohio. I know over here we have only had 2 dustings of snow. Last system brought maybe ¼" - ½"

My only real complaint this season is the overall lack of storms to track all season. It's been a VERY slow season on these forums this winter compared to the last several when it comes to quality threads involving upcoming events. I used to look forward to coming home from work at the end of the day and catching up on pages and pages of new posts on an upcoming event. This season it's been very quiet. Haven't really been many storm threads. Certainly not many 2+ parters. Most of the threads this season have been climate related, or brief/failed storm threads. Miss the days when we had something to track most of the time. A week or two of downtime was bad before, but it seems like this season we've had weeks and weeks of never ending downtime. Most of the CONUS east of the Rockies has had a ridiculously benign winter so far, which is extremely unsual. Certain regions may have an off season every now and again, but to have most of the country in the basement for snowfall is pretty strange to me.

My only real complaint this season is the overall lack of storms to track all season. It's been a VERY slow season on these forums this winter compared to the last several when it comes to quality threads involving upcoming events. I used to look forward to coming home from work at the end of the day and catching up on pages and pages of new posts on an upcoming event. This season it's been very quiet. Haven't really been many storm threads. Certainly not many 2+ parters. Most of the threads this season have been climate related, or brief/failed storm threads. Miss the days when we had something to track most of the time. A week or two of downtime was bad before, but it seems like this season we've had weeks and weeks of never ending downtime. Most of the CONUS east of the Rockies has had a ridiculously benign winter so far, which is extremely unsual. Certain regions may have an off season every now and again, but to have most of the country in the basement for snowfall is pretty strange to me.

Last few winters have spoiled alot of us with what seemed like a endless parade of storms all winter long. Problem again has been the Pacific as everything has gone into N.Canada/AK vs the west coast/Pac NW etc.

Nothing out there right now offering any hope either. Basically every signal has gone back to a crappy look ( MJO/Solar etc ) for winter fans. So yeah i expect this thread to really grow some legs.. All could change but yeah we know how that has gone so far this winter.

My only real complaint this season is the overall lack of storms to track all season.  It's been a VERY slow season on these forums this winter compared to the last several when it comes to quality threads involving upcoming events.  I used to look forward to coming home from work at the end of the day and catching up on pages and pages of new posts on an upcoming event.  This season it's been very quiet.  Haven't really been many storm threads.  Certainly not many 2+ parters.  Most of the threads this season have been climate related, or brief/failed storm threads.  Miss the days when we had something to track most of the time.  A week or two of downtime was bad before, but it seems like this season we've had weeks and weeks of never ending downtime. Most of the CONUS east of the Rockies has had a ridiculously benign winter so far, which is extremely unsual.  Certain regions may have an off season every now and again, but to have most of the country in the basement for snowfall is pretty strange to me.

Yeah, besides the warmth, it seems like it hasn't been that active overall in the past month+ but I don't know if perception=reality in that case. I'm probably closer to my average snow ytd than most but it still feels like a stinker. My philosphy has changed...I used to get really upset about missing snow but it bothers me much less than it used to. I figure I'll probably be alive for many more winters so whatever happens happens.

last two winters has been far from a parade of storms here outside GHD.. spoiled yes though before that. throw out GHD and going on 3 winters now has sucked balls for the most part. Bottom line is we live in a **** location for both snow and keeping it. Might have to be like that nut cas ski marge in new england and move to alsaka or 9,000 feet up for my dream winters we can't sniff here.

My 14th year of measuring snow imby. Avg over that period 46.6". But only once have I had a seasonal snowfall total finish in the 40s. In fact, the last 5 years have featured the following rollercoaster:

2007-08: 86.5"

2008-09: 70.1"

2009-10: 23.0"

2010-11: 61.2"

2011-12: In the 20s (god willing)

If I could control the wx, I'd definitely trade in the potential for a blockbuster winter over the next couple of winters for some stability (ie, no risk of monumental clunkers).

If there is anything good about this incredibly disappointing winter, it has been that if misery loves company, misery should be very happy. One of the strangest aspects has been that there really aren't any winners in any region. Whether it's the lakes or new england or the northern plains, pretty much every winter wx lover is suffering together. I probably should make the exception for the deep south which has had a couple of rare snow events.

last two winters has been far from a parade of storms here outside GHD.. spoiled yes though before that. throw out GHD and going on 3 winters now has sucked balls for the most part. Bottom line is we live in a **** location for both snow and keeping it. Might have to be like that nut cas ski marge in new england and move to alsaka or 9,000 feet up for my dream winters we can't sniff here.

Here it WAS a parade of storms after GHD. We had 5 advisory/warning snowstorms after GHD last winter. The advisory/warning snowstorms have been plentiful the last 4 years, and so far not one this year. A few dicey driving days but nothing advisory-like.The parade hit a big, fat blockade this winter. I dont care how sh*tty spring may be as a consequence, I just need that parade to march through in Feb or Mar!

:mapsnow:

If there is anything good about this incredibly disappointing winter, it has been that if misery loves company, misery should be very happy. One of the strangest aspects has been that there really aren't any winners in any region. Whether it's the lakes or new england or the northern plains, pretty much every winter wx lover is suffering together. I probably should make the exception for the deep south which has had a couple of rare snow events.

That is so very true. Its AMAZING to see the extent of it. More or less the whole lower 48 is in a snow drought. As much as we want to complain, places like Detroit, Cleveland, Chicago, Milwaukee have been better off (pathetic as it is) than so many others. Minneapolis has bare ground and is seeing winter events cancelled. Minnesota should NOT have bare ground in mid-January. The east coast has been shutout from snow outside of a freak snowfall before Halloween. In New England there was some story about outdoor enthusiasts trying to adapt to a snowless winter. The Sierras had the least snowy December ever. Many in northern MI just now got to snowmobile in mid-January for the first time this winter. The list goes on and on, and the one hope you can pull from it is that the law of averages say that someone is going to get smacked in the next 3 months...find it very hard to impossible to believe that the entire lower 48 will pulloff a winter of big deficits nearly across the board.

Yeah, besides the warmth, it seems like it hasn't been that active overall in the past month+ but I don't know if perception=reality in that case. I'm probably closer to my average snow ytd than most but it still feels like a stinker. My philosphy has changed...I used to get really upset about missing snow but it bothers me much less than it used to. I figure I'll probably be alive for many more winters so whatever happens happens.

I'll echo your thoughts about not getting upset. For me it's because we've been spoiled lately. It's been a good run of winters here for the most part, since Feb 2007. The other shoe had to drop at some point, though I guess I'd rather see someone in the region getting it this winter...rather than this one being a widespread clunker. Alas, those happen too. Not much we can do about it in the end. Hope for better times later this winter (Feb-Mar) or in 2012-13. 3rd year Nina's aren't too bad I think. ;):lol:

Detroit itself or the regions in general?

The Chicagoland area verse metro Detroit?

I don't exactly consider Howell "Metro Detroit", but with the added 12-15 inches of lake effect per year I would rather have my climate. I probably receive 2-3 complete grass covering snows per winter from the lake. No lake snows in the midwest BLOWS... its pretty simple actually.

You want a true complaint, all the asinine trolling that has occurred on this forum all winter has made it unreadable often. I don't care how much snow anyone gets compared to another person. There are winners and losers in every situation. So to go around and act like people care because you get more snow or less snow than others is downright foolish. This post is directed to both sides of the fense that feel the need to constantly poke each other.

Hell another complaint is people posting every single thought that hits their brain, so much so that it ends up conflicting with themselves. Really makes it hard to even want to read some days. I am sure as hell that there are many who agree with both points I have made here.

The only way for this to ever happen is for the mods to be much stricter, much like what they did on the Accuweather Forums. Off-topic people were kicked off in a heartbeat

Detroit itself or the regions in general?

The Chicagoland area verse metro Detroit?

I don't exactly consider Howell "Metro Detroit", but with the added 12-15 inches of lake effect per year I would rather have my climate. I probably receive 2-3 complete grass covering snows per winter from the lake. No lake snows in the midwest BLOWS... its pretty simple actually.

I would still take Detroit itself over Chicago for climate....its close overall, but Detroit does average slightly more snowfall and snowcover. Synoptic snowfall for the two places are probably identical. Now when you are talking out your way vs Chicago, its a complete no-brainer.

This winter has convinced me to try to transfer to Michigan State University at some point in my future college career. They have a meterology program and they get 100 inches of snow a year. Which would be worth it in my opinion. lol Better than the 28 inches a year in Columbus.

This winter has convinced me to try to transfer to Michigan State University at some point in my future college career. They have a meterology program and they get 100 inches of snow a year. Which would be worth it in my opinion. lol Better than the 28 inches a year in Columbus.

Lansing averages 51.1" a season. If you want 100"+, you better go to Michigan Tech.

:lol: Youve got to be kidding me. Because they have had a better snowstorm so far this season? The differences are so miniscule between Detroit and Chicago its not funny, and all the snow averages lean in Detroits favor, which include slightly more snowcover days, as well as slightly more days with 1"+, 3"+, and 5"+ snowfalls. Chicago has the edge on cold and sunny days.

They actually get bombed from time to time. Also there chances of getting ds slotted are slightly lower. They get no lake mod and get to taste true arctic air. Yes Chicago gets way better winters. It's not because of this year either.

Lol.

You mean Northern Michigan U

East Lansing, no way. Houghton and Michigan Tech yes, but I don't think they have meteorology.

I would still take Detroit itself over Chicago for climate....its close overall, but Detroit does average slightly more snowfall and snowcover. Synoptic snowfall for the two places are probably identical. Now when you are talking out your way vs Chicago, its a complete no-brainer.

Agreed to the bolded.

But I would definitely take Chicago proper's weather over Detroit proper's weather (summer and winter). Chicago has less air modification from the lakes (unless the wind is out of the east, but the dominant wind is out of the west) and less downsloping since their NW suburbs aren't as highly elevated.

State has neither a met program nor 100" of snow. o.O

Archived