amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
January storm threat discussion #2

Ian

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If nothing else, 12Z GFS keeping it noticeably colder next week.

It actually gives us a snowstorm look at 216 hrs or so. It's much different with the siberian high and actually builds a new ridge over AK farther east than the old run. I'd wait for the ensembles to come in to see what they think but it does show that this pattern isn't that stable.

It actually gives us a snowstorm look at 216 hrs or so. It's much different with the siberian high and actually builds a new ridge over AK farther east than the old run. I'd wait for the ensembles to come in to see what they think but it does show that this pattern isn't that stable.

...And something worth watching too after hr 324, but I guess I'm a :weenie: for commenting on anything that far into the future.

:-)

Though it was a huge mess and knocked oit a lot of people's power... I would not mind a repeat of Jan 2011 snowstorm

Though it was a huge mess and knocked oit a lot of people's power... I would not mind a repeat of Jan 2011 snowstorm

I'll take a repeat of that too - since it snowed more where I am now than where I was.... though the power outage thing I can do without.

Wes, GFS shows a parade of lows rolling over top of a ridge out west and some sort of troughiness in the east though at least 192 hours or so. Any chance some of that energy ends up underneath us? Long lost overrunning event?

Those are the events that seem to have been absent for a long time, and they're the ones I usually like and have more confidence in.

I take it you don't buy hr 216-228...looks pretty on screen

I just don't think the 12z GFS was a very wintry run. But to answer your question, I don't buy much the GFS is selling post 96-120hrs. Unless it's a Lakes cutter. Those you can take to the bank.

Archived