Newest Member
    amirah5
January storm threat discussion #2

Ian

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

im pretty sure id be an energy met if i was a met. :(

if you have some free time you should go to PR and read the last two pages or so of the NH primary thread.

I like snow forecasting too much to be an energy met though this year at CWG I've felt underused. It's tough being a winterwx expert with no winter anywhere in the conus.

Man, if we get another stable vortex over ak, -pna, and +ao/nao to start off Feb then it's probably time to just go ahead and end this winter.

We'll get the good pattern in March with just enough time to tease us with the promise of late-season magic that ends up failing. I think a SNE blizzard around March 15th that gives us cold rain and then a dry slot would be a perfectly fitting end to the season.

Man, if we get another stable vortex over ak, -pna, and +ao/nao to start off Feb then it's probably time to just go ahead and end this winter admit winter never started around here.

FYP... worst part of this whole thing is that now Ji already inflated sense of self is likely to only get worse since he can just tell everyone he was the first to cancel the '11-'12 winter sometime in February of 2011 and was right.

Been on these boards for 11 years now with the same avatar, save for a few days for holidays, etc. I'm changing my avatar to join the dark side. It goes back to Ludwig if we get 2" of snow or the first day of spring....whichever comes first.

I've never been able to figure out how to create an avatar.

Been on these boards for 11 years now with the same avatar, save for a few days for holidays, etc. I'm changing my avatar to join the dark side. It goes back to Ludwig if we get 2" of snow or the first day of spring....whichever comes first.

Watch out, it chops off the left and right sides of the picture.

My friend just snapped this in the Bucktown/Wicker Park neighborhood of Chicago.....she has about 4" and -SN should continue much of the night....That is all I want....a 4" snowstorm to blanket the landscape and a few days to walk around in it before it melts....That is not asking too much....This winter sucks ass

post-66-0-74725200-1326422900.jpg

My friend just snapped this in the Bucktown/Wicker Park neighborhood of Chicago.....she has about 4" and -SN should continue much of the night....That is all I want....a 4" snowstorm to blanket the landscape and a few days to walk around in it before it melts....That is not asking too much....This winter sucks ass

agreed this is just sad at this point. same crap since Nov. :axe:

<sigh> I look out side and see precip too.. light rain.... booooo! It does suck...

01-02 was way better. SE va had a 12-14 inch snowstorm then we got 2-4 inches a week later

That just added insult to injury. Atlanta got more snow than DC-NYC that winter. Same with 72-73.......the south had a major snowstorm in that winter as well.

2001-02 for me had a 1.5" event on 1/6 (it was mostly rain until a burst of snow at the end), 3" on 1/19, and half an inch of slop on 2/6. So about 5" for the season.

And yes, it's sad that I remember all of those by date and amount :arrowhead:

For DCA in the previous 10 seasons:

01/02, 04/05, 06/07, 08/09 had less snow than this season up to this date.

Four out of ten..

04 and 06 were ninos that were screaming pattern change by this point and we got clippers in both a week to 10 days later....

01-02 had the snow to rain event that wasn't well forecast in advance...that is certainly a possibility in the next few weeks...

08-09 was cold by this point so I don't think we bitched as much?....or maybe we did, but 40N was getting snow so it wasnt board-wide....

I still think I am good for 6-8"+....I don't think we'll get shutout the rest of the way....we still have 2 months to produce....

That just added insult to injury. Atlanta got more snow than DC-NYC that winter. Same with 72-73.......the south had a major snowstorm in that winter as well.

2001-02 for me had a 1.5" event on 1/6 (it was mostly rain until a burst of snow at the end), 3" on 1/19, and half an inch of slop on 2/6. So about 5" for the season.

And yes, it's sad that I remember all of those by date and amount.

I'll take it

I had a great 4" storm in October, but it was so odd and so out of place that it already seems like long ago. Some years we get winters like this. Makes for a long wait until we get to try again. I'm holding out for an amplified pattern when wavelengths start to change mid-Feb to mid- March.

Archived