Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
January storm threat discussion #2

Ian

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12z GFS has a coastal Saturday but cold air is an issue as to be expected....maybe some promise for the western burbs....worth tracking

Not really... 2m temps make good jump from hr 96 to 99... maybe a few hours of a sloppy mix to light rain... we don't even get much QPF (less than 0.25") from DC N and W... all of it S and E of DC is rain

It's worth tracking but still is fighting an uphill battle.

maybe the better threat is Sunday...GFS and Euro on different runs have plopped down precip over VA either as a result or in conjunction with developing low pressure along the coast....It is also probably a reach as are most threats but we would probably have cold air for that one or any clipper/wave on Monday....

I did... even with the "lacking" cold air, I don't see the point of tracking it even for a few flurries... I saw the 850s but the 2m don't look good and no H anywhere near to help at all in Canda... I just don't see it and was expressing my opinion

I don't understand why you are taking the depiction literally and looking at sfc temps.....but whatever.....THis winter has been a complete stinker and models suck and our climo sucks..not sure why people have to keep pointing out that threats are low probability and unlikely to happen...no sh-it...we know...thanks for pointing out the obvious...without all the negative nancy's, we'd think we were tracking a possible 8-12" SECS every few days...And I am not referring to Wes....That is his "job" and his area of expertise...I don't see the need for so many others to assume that role....

the gfs looks a lot better than the euro at 12z yesterday--didnt look at 0z tho i guess i could --wrt 850s saturday. the sunday thing seems like a super long shot.. those amlost never work for more than flurries/snowshowers.

At least there is a low to the south. The rest can work itself out. Kinda sums up the winter though. @ hr 96 we have an 850 low over the outer banks and it's going to be tough to snow. I'm guessing here, but I would say 9 times out of 10 when you have an 850 track from GA - OBX - to well off the MD coast in late Jan you would expect it to be snow.

Be nice to get some precip in here on Sunday. No question what the precip type would be then.

The look of the 12z GFS for Saturday is now very much in line with its ens members from 6z. Who knows, we could pull a miracle.

I have my shovel oiled and ready for the SNOstorm Thursday morning.

Archived