Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
January storm threat discussion #2

Ian

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't see anything particularly interesting on the 12z GFS out to 180. It slid the weekend threat off the coast to our south, and then turns cold and dry. I guess the cold in the 7-10 day prog is of interest, perhaps, on that run, but really no threats to speak of other than maybe a clipper system.

The operational 6z was just about the only run out of the op/ens that had the storm suppressed and running out to sea. The Euro has snow for practically the whole state of Va. It may turn out to be nothing, but it would be pretty hard to say that right now given the number of solutions being thrown out there.

The operational 6z was just about the only run out of the op/ens that had the storm suppressed and running out to sea. The Euro has snow for practically the whole state of Va. It may turn out to be nothing, but it would be pretty hard to say that right now given the number of solutions being thrown out there.

We can always hope. I was simply noting what I saw on the latest run, but I am not the poster to play why-the-model-run-is-wrong (or right) games. It would be nice if the Euro were onto something, but if I had to guess, I would side with Ian that it goes away with this upcoming run.

the euro event seems pretty unlikely. see if it's on 12z/

We can always hope. I was simply noting what I saw on the latest run, but I am not the poster to play why-the-model-run-is-wrong (or right) games. It would be nice if the Euro were onto something, but if I had to guess, I would side with Ian that it goes away with this upcoming run.

I guess you could make a good argument that snow is always unlikely here. The Euro and GFS both had a storm with potential snow yesterday at 12z. The GFS for some reason has lost the storm for the past three runs, or at least had it scoot straight off of the coast. The interesting part of it is that its own ensembles don't agree with it. In fact many amp it up to the point of it being warm and rain.

12z GFS ensemble mean has a much more exciting snow scenario for Saturday. I'll take a look at the individual members when they come out, but the mean looks to have a fairly robust Miller A with a rain turning to snow scenario. http://raleighwx.ame...emblep12120.gif

That's good to hear. They've had a pretty good signal for a while now with regards to this particular storm.

I guess you could make a good argument that snow is always unlikely here. The Euro and GFS both had a storm with potential snow yesterday at 12z. The GFS for some reason has lost the storm for the past three runs, or at least had it scoot straight off of the coast. The interesting part of it is that its own ensembles don't agree with it. In fact many amp it up to the point of it being warm and rain.

it's not the same storm. the euro is developing a wave on a cold front. the original sat storm is a no go on the euro.

it's not the same storm. the euro is developing a wave on a cold front. the original sat storm is a no go on the euro.

Maybe GFS picked up on what the Euro lost.

Based on trends, the lack of negative NAO and air that has to get cold, I am betting on a rain to snow scenario with just a dusting at best!

ALL a gut call at this point - but not overly ecited yet!

12z GFS ensemble mean has a much more exciting snow scenario for Saturday. I'll take a look at the individual members when they come out, but the mean looks to have a fairly robust Miller A with a rain turning to snow scenario. http://raleighwx.ame...emblep12120.gif

Map looks great but man, I have a tough time believing that a true miller A can come to life without a -nao or a decent split flow with a +pna. Let me know if the indv members show split flow or even some stj interaction.

Map looks great but man, I have a tough time believing that a true miller A can come to life without a -nao or a decent split flow with a +pna. Let me know if the indv members show split flow or even some stj interaction.

Bob, I've been noticing a decent amount of stj interaction this year as in today's sat pic, but I'm w/you on the skepticism after what we've had so far

http://www.ssec.wisc.edu/data/us_comp/us_comp_big.html

Here's the 500mb anomaly map for Saturday. http://raleighwx.americanwx.com/models/gfsensemble/12zGFSEnsembles500mbHeightAnomalyNH120.gif

Based on the raw math, the NAO is neutral and the PNA is also essentially neutral (transitioning from negative to positive). It's certainly not a 500mb set up that screams KU or anything like that, but that's a decent set up for snow for us (assuming there's already sufficient cold air).

Here's the 500mb anomaly map for Saturday. http://raleighwx.ame...nomalyNH120.gif

Based on the raw math, the NAO is neutral and the PNA is also essentially neutral (transitioning from negative to positive). It's certainly not a 500mb set up that screams KU or anything like that, but that's a decent set up for snow for us (assuming there's already sufficient cold air).

That does look pretty nice. Probably won't have a nice hp to the n & w to work with. Stupid gl low appears to want to muck things up. If anything, a weaker low sliding by to the south and off the coast without getting it's act together would be a better scenario. Should be another fun week. Maybe we have back to back events where everything trends in our favor leading up?

and actually that's 12z not 18z.. sfc temps are potentially not terribly far off but 850s suck. maybe we can get the storm to create its own cold air.

not even close

http://vortex.plymouth.edu/cgi-bin/gen_grbcalc2.cgi?re=namer&id=&zoom=.6&ti=0≥=1280x1024&mo=ecmwf≤=850&va=temp&in=5&pl=cf&ft=h120&cu=latest&overlay=no&mo=≤=&va=&in=&pl=ln&ft=h24&cu=latest

Archived