Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
January storm threat discussion #2

Ian

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All the 12z GFS ensemble members have the Saturday storm, but all but a couple are rainers. Most take a route up the Apps instead of offshore. The ensemble mean at 120 was a bit deceptive in having a coastal storm with the 850mb 0C line overhead. The 850 0C is only that far east because 4 members have the storm past us by that point and the cold front has pushed that line well OTS.

With the ridge axis out west essentially on the coast, an Apps track makes sense. The old rule of thumb I learned for coastal storms was we want the ridge axis near Boise, ID.

Think we might want to hope for a weaker low that slides OTS but throws enough precip up our way for some light snow. Even then I think having sufficiently cold air is problematic.

The models are going to jump around wildly outside a few days.....I'm sure everyone already knows that though......This winter it is easy to say something will not happen and it probably won't happen, but I am not skilled enough to say whether a small frozen event can or cannot happen outside of 3-4 days...the pattern is too progressive...there are too many moving pieces...even the euro may start the far NW burbs as frozen on THU morning....I certainly wouldn't punt anything after day 3-4

The models are going to jump around wildly outside a few days.....I'm sure everyone already knows that though......This winter it is easy to say something will not happen and it probably won't happen, but I am not skilled enough to say whether a small frozen event can or cannot happen outside of 3-4 days...the pattern is too progressive...there are too many moving pieces...even the euro may start the far NW burbs as frozen on THU morning....I certainly wouldn't punt anything after day 3-4

So true. Just wish we had more promise on locking in some cold air.

There is definitely a reason to pay attention to the upcoming period with the small but useful west-based -NAO block (which is merely a reflection of the vortex coming southward). I think anything before the cold arrives will be disappointing / very low-end. It is just too warm. But once the cold arrives this weekend into next week, the setup will be there for another widespread winter storm.

The window isn't the greatest because the Pacific will be itching to end this period.

There is definitely a reason to pay attention to the upcoming period with the small but useful west-based -NAO block (which is merely a reflection of the vortex coming southward). I think anything before the cold arrives will be disappointing / very low-end. It is just too warm. But once the cold arrives this weekend into next week, the setup will be there for another widespread winter storm.

The window isn't the greatest because the Pacific will be itching to end this period.

THat is fine....we need to time something anyway...no reason we can't time another mixed event here with a little luck...

As far at the NAO, I figured that was a reason we might get something to amplify on the frontal boundary where we have failed with so many fronts this winter....euro showed that last night and then lost it

THat is fine....we need to time something anyway...no reason we can't time another mixed event here with a little luck...

As far at the NAO, I figured that was a reason we might get something to amplify on the frontal boundary where we have failed with so many fronts this winter....euro showed that last night and then lost it

If anything were to get going before the cold air arrives, it would have to intensify significantly to produce. The lack of cold air will really be an inhibitor; but, you are right that the potential for an intensifying storm is there during that time frame.

There was a signal today on the ECMWF ensembles for this weekend before the RNA came back.

Should this period fail to produce, our next potential would be mid-month perhaps...Maybe the 10 day period of 2/15 through 2/25 when the forcing may potentially propagate (developing some possible factors that would favor the stagnancy of the forcing to end). The forcing would try to push back toward the unfavorable regions again after that though, so that's why I think it may be another 10 day window instead of something that locks in for weeks.

Should this period fail to produce, our next potential would be mid-month perhaps...Maybe the 10 day period of 2/15 through 2/25 when the forcing may potentially propagate (developing some possible factors that would favor the stagnancy of the forcing to end). The forcing would try to push back toward the unfavorable regions again after that though, so that's why I think it may be another 10 day window instead of something that locks in for weeks.

I've been keeping an eye on the mjo ens forecast and it looks like there is a good possiblity that it is going to get its act together again after wallowing in the COD for a while. Forecast push it along pretty nicely into phase 6. Do you think it will ever push into our favorable phaes 8-1 before our winter is pretty much over? It looks like this might be our last hurrah for the MJO to help us this year.

07-08 is the only winter I didn't get measurable between 1/25 and 2/15 since 01-02. 8 for 9. We'll score something even if it's small. This is our money timeframe.

Well, it would seem that the GFS ens members leave just about any scenario possible over the course of the next five days. Maybe your mojo can whip up something good. It sure has been interesting watching these ens members for this upcoming weekend the past couple of days.

It's gonna happen again. We'll thread the needle. Mark my words. And we have you at the helm like last time.

Insomnia is a b**ch btw

it's only 12:50....you'll be asleep by the time the euro run is over ;)

we actually do have an opportunity in the Saturday-Wed period.......then it looks warmish again, but who knows?....the models have been pretty bad....we live in a bad climate, but we are now in our climo all star period...I'm just looking for a 1-3"

Archived