• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January storm threat discussion #2

Ian

I'm going to ask a dumb question, but here goes. Tempwise what are we looking at with that map? Upper 50's ish or higher?

I know Wes sent you a link to read - but my understanding is its a percentage chance of temps being above normal during the time period, based on the ensembles

So for us we have a 90% chance of being above normal during that time period.

I guess to know the exact temps, you would need to know what "normal" would be (which I do not).

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know Wes sent you a link to read - but my understanding is its a percentage chance of temps being above normal during the time period, based on the ensembles

So for us we have a 90% chance of being above normal during that time period.

I guess to know the exact temps, you would need to know what "normal" would be (which I do not).

80 to 90 percent of the 40 ens members had the temps in the highest third if you break our climo temps into third but the probabilities are no calibrated so if the models have a uniform bias, it could still skew the probabilities.

tebowing2.jpg

"And finally, Lord, please give those good folks in the Mid-Atlantic one snowstorm before in you

r grace you decide winter's over.

Amen"

Love your post...I am trying to stay positive for the rest of the winter. I was all in for the cold coming just a weak ago. Now I do not know what to believe. Maybe at the very end of January things will change. Go Broncos!

I don't have maps that show vorts....it does have a weak surface reflection entering MN on Saturday...then it dies....

48 shows the closed 500 contour in Alberta then 72 shows it entering N MN before fizzling. It could easilty be right but no sense in saying it's a no go until the vort is clearly sampled over land. I think it's still off the coast at init right?

48 shows the closed 500 contour in Alberta then 72 shows it entering N MN before fizzling. It could easilty be right but no sense in saying it's a no go until the vort is clearly sampled over land. I think it's still off the coast at init right?

Weenie phrase #48 :P

no overrunning or other snow chances days 7-10?

I think I know the answer because I would have seen it posted by now, but I'll bite anyway

just a clipper north of buffalo and a big storm heading into canada from minn. there's some -24C air behind it in the dakotas. but also another firehose hitting the west coast and plenty of warm over the whole southern 2/3 of the country.

I feel like being a d!ck so I hope we get snow to rain by 1am on the 24th followed by a strong and dry coldfront on the 25th that leaves some 500 energy behind that tracks the coast and snows on the 27th.

Wow so much anger over a snow prediction. Step away from the ledge. It will be OK. There will be more snow in your lifetime. To put it nicely...

Bob just "Chill"

Archived