• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Thursday Storm Observation Thread 1/12

dryslot

Its 3 minutes to 12z here and still ripping all snow...pure flakes. The aggregates we had before have turned into normal dendrites. Over 2" now. Not sure how much longer this will last as the snow line has to be near or north of the pike now.

Nice, for once it wasn't a toaster bath. Looks like globals got it right. Don't know what the NAM and SREFs smoked yesterday.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't know how that batch in NJ will shape up as it heads north, but this radar is looking pretty ragged. So, after things do mix/change, we may find we had most of the qpf from the system of the frozen variety. Given some of the possibilities (ahem, NAM), played out pretty well for a minor event.

SN

30.3/29, ENE gusting to 17

Its 3 minutes to 12z here and still ripping all snow...pure flakes. The aggregates we had before have turned into normal dendrites. Over 2" now. Not sure how much longer this will last as the snow line has to be near or north of the pike now.

looks like a gfs, euro win! Nam Tanked

LOL--I thnk you've been saying that since I came down 2 hours ago.

The big story here is the wind right now. Several wind gusts in the past hour have been well into the 20s and low 30s. In looking at the mesoscale map it looks like we'll be dealing with this for several hours:

http://www.spc.ncep.noaa.gov/sfctest/new/viewsector.php?sector=16#

You can see the wind gusts on the mesonet map (in red):

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/gmap.php?zoom=8&extents=40.347948,-74.047363,43.77506,-69.488037&density=1

the battle is on winds now have switched from the ease to north east which is huge because even though I live about 30 miles from the coast with an east wind it has an influence from the ocean warming us now that it is northeast brings down the colder air. could be why the rain snow line keeps going north and south over nashua and atkinson NH. im In Manchester temp 33 with snow just over an inch of snow

That is great Will! enjoy! Interesting that I have 2 inches or maybe a bit more up here...since you've been all snow I assumed you'd be ahead of me.

That is great Will! enjoy! Interesting that I have 2 inches or maybe a bit more up here...since you've been all snow I assumed you'd be ahead of me.

We may be getting a little bit more lift with the CAD thermal gradient near our area. You can almost see bands redevelop around CON on radar.

Your area actually started snowing before we did. There were posters just east of you commenting on how it was snowing at like 12-1am.

Your area actually started snowing before we did. There were posters just east of you commenting on how it was snowing at like 12-1am.

It was snowing here around then, but barely anything...my precip sensor (heated leaf wetness) was only reading 1 to 2 which basically means weenie snow showers. The legit stuff came in here at 430am (max readings of 15).

Archived