joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Thursday Storm Observation Thread 1/12

dryslot

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meanwhile out here we have dropped 1.5 degrees in the last half hour.

Now 29.1F and the snow flakes are smaller. Some drifting.

Interesting. I don't have a good temperature reading here... but I can see the very gradual shift of the snowfall consistency. There were a lot of dendrites when we were seeing those massive flakes earlier, but there are a lot more needles and partially melted then refrozen snowflakes falling right now. We are probably pretty close to a changeover to sleet right now.

Edit: Took a quick trip outside... and yep, we are over to sleet and now some raindrops mixing in. This changeover is occurring rather quickly!

We are above freezing downtown, so once we go over to rain, we should start to see the melting process underway. With about 1.5" though, I'm certainly not complaining giving my expectations!

Got a report of 5 inches at the 2k foot level in the Eastern Catskills. I'm sure I'm over 3 inches.... I missed the heaviest echoes that went over ALB an hour ago and it's unfortunate because it would have been a better snow here at 29 degrees.

Congrats, Rick--you're doing pretty well with this!

Wind gusting to 15mph from 74*

30.6/30

Looks like BOX put out a more tepid map than the earlier one that hit GC really hard. I'll (we all) take what we can get.

Snow still coming down good here with blowing. Odd thing is we keep dropping...now 28.4. I think we have some siphoning down the Upper Hudson/Champlain Valleys underway - at least at this elevation.

We are parachuting now....ripping huge aggregates...must be an inch now...this stuff accumulates fast, but also means the end is near.

Echoes still washing out to the south...so holding onto huge ripping aggregrates here

14ms5qh.jpg

I odn't think that's the true dry slot approaching (is it?). But I'm wondering if perhaps we''ll might finish this first round as snow. Hate to think of how warm it will be when the next batch in NJ works up here if that's the case.

Managed to cool just the slightest--30.4/29

33/30 here in Stafford Springs, CT. It was coming down pretty good for a time....not sure what the total was but it looked like 0.5 - 1" when the plows came by and woke me up again.

It was nice seeing the S+ but the big thing is the wind right now. Nice gusty winds out there. Both my stations in Union over 1000' are still below 32° so there may be some icing up there but those are isolated spots on north facing slopes.

Archived