SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Thursday Storm Observation Thread 1/12

dryslot

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its good to see several of the stations start turning the winds more NE...PWM actually turned almost due north and dropped from 32 to 29 and the dewpoint dropped to 19....so hopefully this can start getting advected southward

2012011207metarsalb.gif

Hopefully you don't see a great deal of that dry air advect downward...I know eventually the column is going to saturate but if the dry air really begins to dig in that will in turn eat away at the precip. shield and could cut down on the amount of time people see snow

Just don't wait until you're 38 like me to get out of the desolate valley. LOL Not that my elevation has meant squat this abysmal season, but usually helps.

It definitely has to be snowing at higher elevations in CT...I'm like about 50' and the rain coming down kind of looks like freshly melted snowfalkes..kind of big drops...hard to explain but I hate my 50' elevation.

Hopefully you don't see a great deal of that dry air advect downward...I know eventually the column is going to saturate but if the dry air really begins to dig in that will in turn eat away at the precip. shield and could cut down on the amount of time people see snow

No we def want it in this instance. It would prolong the wintry precip here if we connect up with those dewpoints in Maine...I'm skeptical it happens anyway...but if it does happen, then it would mean a lot longer period of icing.

I do not think we are in any danger of losing much precip to dry air with this current slug moving north. Usually in cold storms where you are closer to the northwest edge of the precip shield is when you worry about advecting too much dry air into the region. In this case, the dry air would act as an evaporational cooling agent to keep the temps from rising as we go along in this storm. That is what happened in the Dec '08 ice storm...ice storms will self-destruct after 4-8 hours (depending on starting temp) if there isn't a physical process to offset the latent heat release from the freezing rain at the surface...that is why without it, you slowly warm until you hit 33F and rain and then stop.

Just don't wait until you're 38 like me to get out of the desolate valley. LOL Not that my elevation has meant squat this abysmal season, but usually helps.

:lol:

I seriously don't know where I want to live.

It's all going to depend on where my first met job is (if that day ever comes).

I'm not even sure why I'm upset...I was not expecting more than a dusting or a coating of snow at most but I'm still upset...I guess it's like when your favorite team is in a BIG game and you expect them to lose and when they do you're still upset...even tohugh you expected it.

FYI ...Moderate snow here now and 1.5 inches down. 30.7F.

No we def want it in this instance. It would prolong the wintry precip here if we connect up with those dewpoints in Maine...I'm skeptical it happens anyway...but if it does happen, then it would mean a lot longer period of icing.

I do not think we are in any danger of losing much precip to dry air with this current slug moving north. Usually in cold storms where you are closer to the northwest edge of the precip shield is when you worry about advecting too much dry air into the region. In this case, the dry air would act as an evaporational cooling agent to keep the temps from rising as we go along in this storm. That is what happened in the Dec '08 ice storm...ice storms will self-destruct after 4-8 hours (depending on starting temp) if there isn't a physical process to offset the latent heat release from the freezing rain at the surface...that is why without it, you slowly warm until you hit 33F and rain and then stop.

Thanks for the explanation. I would have never thought of it this way.

Speaking of Maine over the past few hours a very nice area of sfc frotongenesis has been developing from Maine and extending southwestward to eastern MA and back towards your area...something that could be of great benefit.

sfnt.gif?1326353469334

Yeah I said weenie flakes might happen quicker than 45 min...35 min it took for weenie flakes...but I think I'm still a good 15-20 min from seeing more steady snow.

Yeah that would seem about right...once you get into the heavier snow you should be good for at least a few hours and then it's a race to see when the stronger WAA works in. Radar doesn't look all too bad and has been filling in but the back edge of precip is already moving through southern NJ.

The western fringe of the frozen p-type seems steady so far in ENY.... somewhere between Herkimer and Rome. Further northwest ART has snow.

BGM has been all rain. Snow now in the Mid Hudson Valley near Kingston.

Yeah I said weenie flakes might happen quicker than 45 min...35 min it took for weenie flakes...but I think I'm still a good 15-20 min from seeing more steady snow.

my temp is reading 34.3/29 im on the west side of agawam towards southwick westfield which is higher then the center of agawam so maybe that why

makes alot more sense.

there is a nice little shelf just west of N west street (which runs N-S) and elevations go from 150-250 to 400-550 ish. 1/4 mile west of that road

It most be snowing pretty good in Tolland right now...I texted Kevin that I thought he could get some snow earlier yesterday afternoon. It wasn't hopeless there.

But the Ktolla4 site has dropped below 33F now after being like 34.5F before the precip came in and that site is like 150 feet lower than Kevin, so I won't be surprised if he gets an inch or two out of this. The only model that had him getting an inch or even a little more was the Euro.

Archived