• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
January 3-5 Timeframe - Storm Potential

Baroclinic Zone

It wasn't worth six pages yet, with our pattern and track record so far this winter.

It could well come back and threaten, but after this current amplification and phasing (which yieldd us nary a single flake), I'm not gonna really join the fray on this until it is three or four days out.

Plenty of fruitless, vintage 1980s cold, though.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

God you guys live an die by each run... the threat is still there and its probably the best threat we've had since 10/29..

Ok now I'm gonna go wait for Kevin's forecast for NYDE threat.. I'm so excited for it

No, the naysayers have doubted this potential all along....it's the optimistic crowd that was roused into action by one run.

Okay, for you snow-geese, this has been a tough go so far - no doubt. After the early spoils of unnatural beauty fell upon the Hallow's Eve, the horror of winter's absentia could not have become a darker irony. The frustration of it must almost seem by design for being just so elegantly wrong.

I remember mentioning this in a post the other day and was afraid of something like this happening, and I think it may have something to do with the Pacific suddenly responding to the presence of a reborn MJO wave. It re-emerged from the incoherent COD region in Phase 4 last week and has since matured to moderate strength in Phase 5 status. Without any help from an erstwhile AO (to compress the overall geopotential medium) such as that which covered the last month and more, that leaves/left the middle latitudes a bit more prone to perturbations of a tropical origin/forcing.

Even NCEP finally caved to the notion that for 40N ...the polar field indexes tend to mask the Pacific/ENSO signals. This was part of their seasonal outlook/reasoning back in September I believe it was. Many of us knew this to be true for years... Anyway, since the MJO is in fact a 15N - 15S latitude phenomenon, logic forces one to question whether MJO wave dispersion physics may also be constructive -vs- deconstructively interfered by AO when considering the overal circulation as a whole.

I like that idea a lot!. Honestly, I have not read any studies that formally broach the question of any correlations between the AO and MJO, but it is an intriguing hypothesis for me, nonetheless. Supposing for a moment it were true: That would mean a +AO, combined with an + eastward propagating MJO in Phase 4/5 would mean more realization of the Phase 4/5 correlation when compared to intervals where the the AO were negative ... Either way, I can't imagine a current eastward propagating MJO in Phase 5 - albeit weakening in time - is helping those previous Euro solutions to realization.

The preferred Phase 4/5 correlations on the pattern are to raise heights over eastern N/A, particularly right through 40N and into the heart of any +PNA.

That said, the previous week to 2 weeks worth of COD MJO values tended to [most likely] limit any influence from tropical forcing down to a dull roar. The atmosphere was like destined to a +PNA given time, because the Perennial North American Pattern (which I have often referred to as the "PNAP") features a modest western ridge, eastern trough couplet.

It is plausible to me when taking all this into consideration that the Euro runs (GGEM and whatever else had followed suit), were merely defaulting the Pacific pattern into an exaggerate background La Nina-like, B.C. ridge with cold trough in the E yesterday, because there wasn't yet a physical presence in the initialization for much of anything else. However, that may have changed last night; the last 3 days have shown that the foresaid MJO Phase 5 wave has begin actively propagating eastward. Boom - arrives background exertion to raise height that much in the east, and a slightly more progressive L/W trough results ... effectively destroying that perfect solution from yesterday - that's all essentially deconstructive wave interference on the larger synoptic scale.

I feel fairly confident in this conceptual overview enough to be surprised if those former run notions return. Now that MJO has arrived on the scene, its presence is transiently here to stay.

Taking a shot at deterministic outlooks... I think shallower systems should be favored for now. I don't think when considering the apparent MJO wave magnitude that it will be sufficient to completely damp the erstwhile arriving +PNA, but think it will probably succeed in damping overall cyclogenesis potential to some degree. There is substantive cold at middle-high latitudes, such that tipping the flow NW through Canada will chill us back considerably, without the advantage of a negative AO. It can snow in this sort of overall regime, but those scenarios would come down to nailing individual impulses and there ability to ignite events on smaller hard to track scales. One such event may be NYE or thereabouts. And then later next week we'll see if instead of an exotic KU type event, perhaps a NJ model low might show up. I just think if the full latitude monster were to re-appear, I'd be nonplussed to know why.

The pattern could be there for one. Get that PNA to spike and have the ridge in the right position. I'd like to take my chances on the northern jet rather than the southern at this point.

Agreed... NJ model-type lows where shallower systems with some vorticity potency run out over the upper MA and then we get clipped by rapid cyclogen moving just underneath... Meanwhile it's in the mid 60s on the southern tip of the Del Marva in that sort of scenario.

Cold and dry ..Sub zero nights and 10-15 for daytime highs ..bare , cracked, frozen ground..some still green..some brown, ponds frozen over so Joe can play pond hockey even though he doesn't own a pair of skates. The snowless winter goes on and on and on. It's possible BDL/BOS/PVD go NOV/DEC/JAN with only a trace of snow

Cold and dry ..Sub zero nights and 10-15 for daytime highs ..bare , cracked, frozen ground..some still green..some brown, ponds frozen over so Joe can play pond hockey even though he doesn't own a pair of skates. The snowless winter goes on and on and on. It's possible BDL/BOS/PVD go NOV/DEC/JAN with only a trace of snow

Stj shut down. 1991-92 esque. Cold came but never with snow it seemed.

Stj shut down. 1991-92 esque. Cold came but never with snow it seemed.

Eh, we don't need a STJ...look at last winter.

Biggest problem is the PJ has been mostly north this winter. Leads to a lack of baroclinicity, lack of gulf moisture tap, etc...so we get a few rainers...then dry spells.

cold and brown......pure misery.

Ray will be thrilled.

Archived