Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
January 3-5 Timeframe - Storm Potential

Baroclinic Zone

Slightly better than 00z.

There are two impulses within the broad trough, and we need some s/w ridging between the two and the second s/w trough to be sharper ... both characteristics look slightly better this run.

On the larger scale though, there is the trend towards pushing the Western U.S. ridging east quicker, which limits the amount of room the second impulse has to amplify.

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed... NJ model-type lows where shallower systems with some vorticity potency run out over the upper MA and then we get clipped by rapid cyclogen moving just underneath... Meanwhile it's in the mid 60s on the southern tip of the Del Marva in that sort of scenario.

Thanks for being positive, but its pretty much hopeless at this point.. its like living in Kansas city and hoping the 57-104 Royals make the playoffs on the final day game of the season.

This is freaking pathetic.. its supposed to snow in December and January in NH. This just makes me wanna puke up my burrito I had for lunch..

Yay! Dry and Highs in the teens! Sorry, give me 50s if that's the case..

I'm finding it harder and harder to believe that we can actually get a WSW event this winter. We could have not looked at the board for 2 months and came back today without missing anything! Seriously, 4 hours a day x 60 days is 240 hours wasted! Some, much more..

63 days until March 1st. Daylight is gaining.

Sincerely,

A depressed SnowNH in snowless NH staring at

the 12z Euro, wondering if it will ever snow again

Sure is going to get cold though. Might be able to dip below zero once here? That could be pushing it, but would be nice to have something to show for it.

If this airmass was a little colder and longer duration, we might be talking about serious issues with freezing pipes etc. given no snow on the ground for insulation

Snowmaking is best in the teens

But I understand. Other outdoor activity can be unpleasant

Speaking of which ...NASA is hitting the northern lights potential pretty hard as it looks like recent CME is directed at Earth. Their even talking about partial grid failures possible... They said 3:30pm is impact time, give or take 7 hours... Interesting book-ended range, but if it is the latter, than we head on into the evening hours set up about as good as any so far since the recent uptick in solar activity began last summer. The RH looks to dry out and we should be clear tonight. Not sure, I may take a ride up to the overlook at 10 or 11pm. With crystal clean canadian air coming in, there will be virtually no low level gunk in the air to reflect and trap light, like on a humid night in summer.

Speaking of which ...NASA is hitting the northern lights potential pretty hard as it looks like recent CME is directed at Earth. Their even talking about partial grid failures possible... They said 3:30pm is impact time, give or take 7 hours... Interesting book-ended range, but if it is the latter, than we head on into the evening hours set up about as good as any so far since the recent uptick in solar activity began last summer. The RH looks to dry out and we should be clear tonight. Not sure, I may take a ride up to the overlook at 10 or 11pm. With crystal clean canadian air coming in, there will be virtually no low level gunk in the air to reflect and trap light, like on a humid night in summer.

Spaceweather not really enthused with anything other than high latitudes...I have always wondered what it would take to get an aurora down here.

Wow, 18z GFS is a lot sharper with the trough and looks a lot like the 12z Euro... Here's to hoping for digging and a trend West!

The storm is offshore, but it won't take much to get it to the coast. As earthlight said earlier, the trough modeled won't reach the coast until about 42 hours from now so plenty of time for a change. I'd rather see these offshore lows rather than these cutters that will trend NW even more.

I'm curious to see what the GEFS say.

My sirius in the car was having a hell of a time finding signal today. Not sure if it's related.

Euro a gradient pattern in the extended range. Hope to be on the north side...

Whatever I may feel for myself and my brethren south of me, I would be surprised if this drought continues for all of you...there seems sure to be shots of seasonably cold air....HPC extended disco noted the uncertainty of shortwave details in 5-7 day range...even if significant to major snow is still almost difficult to come by I find it hard to believe that y'all won't star to come by more regular accumulating 1"> snows soon.

Phil and I were just discussing this over in the Pattern Change thread...

We don't think the Jan 3 system is totally a loss just yet. There is still just enough meridional surging to the flow (tied into a +PNA spike that is well advertised and verifying as we speak), that if a stronger actual S/W gets ejected out of the Pacific than is currently modeled, we could see a sharper, faster wave break heading into the OV. That would change the sensible weather in the upper MA/NE regions upon exit, in a bit of a hurry. It may not have the look overall of those previous Euro errors, but it certainly would be a pleasant surprise.

Archived