December 23rd light snow potential

ORH_wxman

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a classic case of Kevin adding more confusion than assistance. Garbage

:snowing: fyp

Merry Christmas Kev. :santa:

I think the GFS will likely be a tad warm in this kind of setup and the NAM will likely be too cold. 10-20mi on either side of the Rt2 to I-90 corridor in MA will be the schweet spot on this one. Pete may end up with the most imo.

It's probably not seeing the cooling going on as much as it should, but it's still toasty as it is furthest north of all guidance right now.

Yeah since yesterday afternoon...GFS and NAM have been the two most extreme models on each end of the spectrum. Seems like the Euro might be the way to go as it was in between with a bit of hedge toward the beefier GFS.

The only thing that might make someone tend toward colder solution is the trend of the meso models this morning...its possible the Euro could slightly follow that trend. Given the cooling mechanisms at work here the lower resolution globals would probably not see it as well as the mesos...but that does not mean the meso models are overdoing this cold...they have done it before in SWFEs.

It's guidance like anything else. Part of the reason why you shouldn't throw all your eggs in one basket with this. We know what the biases are.

If it had any past experiences of nailing things like this..or was known to be able to accurately predict these types of low lvel cold drains..then your argument would have some weight.

Cite me one example where it's outperfromed the meso models in a case like this,,again maybe they are a tad too cold,,so we are allowing for that.

Yeah since yesterday afternoon...GFS and NAM have been the two most extreme models on each end of the spectrum. Seems like the Euro might be the way to go as it was in between with a bit of hedge toward the beefier GFS.

The only thing that might make someone tend toward colder solution is the trend of the meso models this morning...its possible the Euro could slightly follow that trend. Given the cooling mechanisms at work here the lower resolution globals would probably not see it as well as the mesos...but that does not mean the meso models are overdoing this cold...they have done it before in SWFEs.

Yeah agreed. There are things arguing for both trends. Southern stream s/w and se ridge which would argue for a possible nwd shift, but at the same time, the nrn stream s/w and compression of the thermal field would go along with the NAM and SREF. It's a battle really. I could see a GFS solution, but with maybe a lean to the euro thermal field...something like that makes sense to me.

as always ride the Euro like a wild pony

That would be great for news headlines Saturday. Instead of seeing frisbees thrown around and news anchors commenting on house nice it is outside, top stories would be people scraping off the cars and idiots sliding off the roads. Merry Christmas.

:lol::lol:

I'd feel comfortable with a 2-4" call for here right now. This is another time where I'd want to be Pete, looks like...

If it had any past experiences of nailing things like this..or was known to be able to accurately predict these types of low lvel cold drains..then your argument would have some weight.

Cite me one example where it's outperfromed the meso models in a case like this,,again maybe they are a tad too cold,,so we are allowing for that.

I just said I could see a GFS solution but with a lean to the euro thermal field.

What would your thoughts be if the Euro was slightly colder this afternoon?

You first have to see why. It could be two things....either dynamics, or a shift south. I think you are assuming that I'm calling for all rain for you..lol. I'm not..just saying to not totally dive into the srn trend just yet. We've seen this played out before. Seeing the NAM and SREF before any other guidance doesn't make me giddy..that's all. That's why we as Mets wait for the other guidance to come in. I'm not saying it's right or wrong...there are reasons to both as I explained earlier.

It's probably not seeing the cooling going on as much as it should, but it's still toasty as it is furthest north of all guidance right now.

What would be chagriningly funny (not a word...) is if it were right on QPF but correcting colder because of the usual headaches surrounding resolution in the boundary layer and critical thickness depths, and viola.

14" of warning snow and very littel leading coverage.

Archived