• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Post Pics, Thoughts, Recollections, Models, Maps, Links, etc of Overlooked or Underrated Winter Events

Deck Pic

I recall 2/25/07 being a pretty solid storm that was under forecast...its still pretty fresh in a lot of people's minds here from eastern...but I could see this getting less and less relevant as time goes on. A solid 4-6" of isothermal paste when mostly sleet/rain was forecast.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was a storm in probably '99 or '00 which was supposed to be only a few inches, but stuck with it all night and into the next day. If I recall correctly, the DC area was in a stripe of the heaviest snow, and we overperformed by at least 6".

I didn't follow storms back then like I do now, so I really can't recall any details other than the above. I do remember one of my co-workers calling me at about 7:30 and telling me we had off because the federal government was closed. I was living just north of Van Ness-UDC and walked down Connecticut Ave. taking pictures of the snow blowing off the roofs of the buildings in the area.

Cool storm, and perhaps the only one of real note of that year (I think). Whether it really overperformed for those who followed the storm closely or not, I'm really not sure.

Mar 99 was a surprise dump that was fun especially trying to get back to the office in major gridlock

Dec. 2000 (5th?) was a nice 4" event that came mid morning as a frontal and had nice rates for a few hours. that snow stuck around for a bit as it got real cold after

I recall 2/25/07 being a pretty solid storm that was under forecast...its still pretty fresh in a lot of people's minds here from eastern...but I could see this getting less and less relevant as time goes on. A solid 4-6" of isothermal paste when mostly sleet/rain was forecast.

yeah, that one was a surprise

the only surprise bone Ma' nature threw us that year

in the 30 minutes I was at a Panera, the roads went to cr@p and I had to drive almost 10 miles to get home vs. the normal 2 due to accidents blocking the roads

it was a shame it was almost MAR as all evidence of it was gone in a couple days

That was a nice one......but the snow ended too quickly. One moment was SN+, then a few minutes later, it vanished.

January 30, 2010

Overshadowed by the double HECS a few days later. Broke a terrible January pattern. I remember tracking this one for what seemed like two weeks. ORH_wxman called it from really far out, as I recall. Very cold. "Cold snow" etc.

Had slightly over 11" in the week prior to Feb 5/6 with the two events. Perfect appetizer.

I got ~13.5" of snow in that one, tied with 3/93. This makes the top 10 in my liftetime (tied for #6), so I definitely remember it as one of the best events I've ever experienced. In this area, we remember how Bob Ryan got spooked by the lack of accumulation by evening, so he revised the snow forecast down to 3-6" in the 11 pm newscast. I also remember how this was one of those few events where the RUC totally nailed the impending awesomeness. It was zwyts who was posting the RUC images...

Great storm.

Everyone bitched about DCA's low total in that storm (just under 9" IIRC), but I lived down there by the Pentagon and damn if I didn't measure less than DCA. I count that storm among my most disappointing.

here's the obs/discussion thread from Eastern started on 1/29/10 by Randy

goes right through the storm, with the links at the end of each thread taking you through 2/10/10 if I'm not mistaken

http://www.easternus...th-trend-storm/

Going back and reading the old threads is so much fun. Too bad 90% of the images are dead hotlinks. sad.png

Excellent storm.

post-1746-0-96435900-1323784686.jpg

post-1746-0-09229900-1323784707.jpg

BTW, I love this kind of thread. The feast/famine winter cycle we've been going through has made us pretty jaded about the moderate snowstorms that do accumulate nicely on everything.

My first few contributions- no pics from these, unfortunately:

12/12/82- 11" at IAD! Way underforecast, with one TV met wearing a bag over his head the next day. It was supposed to miss us to the south.

February 1986- awesome month in terms of frequent, moderate snowstorms, with at least two of them overperforming. From the 22nd through the 27th-- it was moderate snowstorm like every other day

1/25/1992- The main event for the winter, pretty much. 3-5" snowstorm that started just as the sun was going down in the afternoon. It quickly accumulated on roads out in the suburbs at least with the nice initial burst. After such a snow starved start to the season, it was a beautiful snowstorm.

1/28/1995- Overperforming clipper that bullseyed over the area, leaving 3-5". It accumulated quickly and coated everything.

2/16/1996- The original 1/25/00 in terms of last minute increase in the models in the 0Z runs, but I guess it gets overlooked in comparison. 6-10" of easily compacting snow across the area, but I think the most notable memory from that day has to be the terrible MARC train accident.

I have some maps for the feb 16 event. I actually forecast it based on the 18Z eta model.

500 mb foreccast

post-70-0-82418100-1323787750.png

850 forecast

post-70-0-53984300-1323787791.png

A cross section, it shows transverse circulations associated with jet streaks for you KU seeking kind of people

post-70-0-92508900-1323787867.png

Another cross section, basedon it what would your accumulations be at point B, what type of crystals would you expect to be the dominant type.

post-70-0-06705400-1323787996.png

Most underrated event (especially on this forum) is 1/26/11: about 8 inches IMBY + insane snowfall rates + the first time I've ever seen thundersnow/thundersleet + snow cover lasted FOREVER.

March 1-2, 2009 would be a close second.

The day after that storm I told a friend of mine it was one of my favorite storms ever because it had a huge chaos index for snarling Baltimore traffic especially on the elevated sections of 83 in the city. I recall the models did a great job of indicating the possibility of the heavy snow during rush hour during the 24 hours preceding it, and yet, local tv mets didn't convey it well to the public.

Most underrated event (especially on this forum) is 1/26/11: about 8 inches IMBY + insane snowfall rates + the first time I've ever seen thundersnow/thundersleet + snow cover lasted FOREVER.

I honestly don't even remember the March 1-2 storm. How is that possible?

I don't think that the forum underrates the Jan '11 storm. How could you, with the snow rates and thundersnow, the 700 UVVs that will live in infamy (and bias our future weenie-ish predictions of what can happen with the ULL), and the fact that it was really the only event of the winter. Unless, of course, you weren't in town at the time :(

The sleet event in '07 ended up being a big deal because it stuck around for so long, and perhaps is underrated as a winter storm because it was a snow bust.

Going back and reading the old threads is so much fun. Too bad 90% of the images are dead hotlinks. sad.png

Fun, if a little saddening.

It's neat to see how some of you mets threw up your hands and accepted the fact that we'd get good snow in '09-'10. With the understandable conservativism in regards to snow calls around here, it was always a blast to get met consensus.

I honestly don't even remember the March 1-2 storm. How is that possible?

I'm basing this off of BWI, in my area we had 6 inches and some good winds afterwards. I guess it was special to me because it saved the 08/09 winter from being a complete dud and was the frst time in three years that we had a 5+ inch snowstorm. Maybe VA didn't get as much?

I don't think that the forum underrates the Jan '11 storm. How could you, with the snow rates and thundersnow, the 700 UVVs that will live in infamy (and bias our future weenie-ish predictions of what can happen with the ULL), and the fact that it was really the only event of the winter. Unless, of course, you weren't in town at the time sad.png

Well I meant more the 10/11 winter in general than the storm I guess. It seems like so many on here think last winter was like the worst winter ever for the mid-atlantic.

3/1/09?

That was a nice hit after a complete sh*t winter.

I posted 2006 because most around here seem to trash it. Yes, it melted in about 20 minutes, but I had extended TSSN and some of the heaviest rates I've ever seen around here. I apologize if you guys were looking more for small events. I lack the good memory of some of you to recall those events.

And we have a winner thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

It was the second winter that I followed weather, and what made that storm so special was not just the fact that I got 8" of snow, but also it was the drastic change from the previous lame winter, and the fact that it was so early in the season (compared to what I expected). The snow lasted pretty long, and from then, I knew that we'd have a great winter.

March 9th 1999 no pics sorry I wasn't here.

I wouldn't classify the above as either underrated or overlooked....but I love snow and I am glad they were brought up anyway

I don't know how you remember these smaller events. Do you keep a journal or just have a good snow memory?

I have kept a record of every event since 2004-05 and many events from 1994-95 - 2003-04.......plus memory, but I don't remember every 0.5" event...there are some I forget....there were a couple in January 2004 during the cold snap when I was looking recently that I don't recall....so it depends....but every event over 1" since 2001-02, I pretty much know, but sometimes I have to look them up and the details are foggy....Gymengineer has a better memory than me

I have kept a record of every event since 2004-05 and many events from 1994-95 - 2003-04.......plus memory, but I don't remember every 0.5" event...there are some I forget....there were a couple in January 2004 during the cold snap when I was looking recently that I don't recall....so it depends....but every event over 1" since 2001-02, I pretty much know, but sometimes I have to look them up and the details are foggy....Gymengineer has a better memory than me

Thanks.. it's actually not from my memory for events before 1988 (from then on I pretty much remember all the events that fully covered the grass). The big ones before then I remember, but only vaguely, and only back to 1983 (I was three then).

What I do have are printed out Washington Post articles going back to 1942 that cover just about every significant period of winter weather that we've had. That's how I have details about which storms were underforecast in 2/86, etc.

December 5, 2002 in case I overlooked it being mentioned. 5.0" officially at Richmond with a good 1/4" of ice on top. It was the earliest accumulating event (1"+) since December 1989. Solid snow cover for several days after the event......was the original December 5th storm. First storm of a decent winter for much of the region.

Who else remembers the ice storms of '94 and the massive cold outbreaks afterwards? I remember the media called it "The Big Chill of '94" at the time. Many people don't seem to remember this when I bring it up. I don't remember if it was January or February, but there was one big one where I had off school for an entire week and it was highs in the single digits after the storm. I just remember all the ice and how cold it was.

Who else remembers the ice storms of '94 and the massive cold outbreaks afterwards? I remember the media called it "The Big Chill of '94" at the time. Many people don't seem to remember this when I bring it up. I don't remember if it was January or February, but there was one big one where I had off school for an entire week and it was highs in the single digits after the storm. I just remember all the ice and how cold it was.

I remember those ice storms quite well. I was a junior in high school and we missed 17 days due to weather that winter. It was an insane amount of sleet.

There were three periods of extended school closings that winter-- the first one in January was during the week of MLK Day. The snow to freezing rain storm happened on the same day as the Northridge Earthquake, and froze into a solid mess in the cold wave that followed. DCA fell below 0F that Thursday morning (hasn't happened since). It was an extraordinary scenario where the three area airports all were about the same in the their lows, with the cold continually pumped in on stiff winds (so not dependent on radiational cooling at all). That week, I heard the Emergency Broadcast System used for the first time for a real emergency, as Prince Georges county declared some sort of emergency about rolling brownouts/conserving power. DCA also had set the lowest daytime high for DC in the 20th century on that day (either 6 or 7 F), but clouds/WAA moving in ahead of an overnight clipper actually bumped the temp up before midnight to just tie the record (to 8F, IIRC). Friday morning, the area woke up to 1-3" of powder.

The second period of school closings was shorter, two to three days, and happened centered around 1/28. That was freezing rain which was forecast to switch to plain rain with highs in the 50's, but the switch never happened for the suburbs, and even parts of DC proper. That was the ice storm where windshield wipers were freezing onto the windshields half-pass during evening rush hour. PHL broke into the 50's while IAD's temperature actually dropped through the low 20's.

The third period of extended school closings came during the two-part 2/8-11 sequence. The first couple of days in that sequence was the spritz of snow to an extended period of ZR that the area had became used to. Then, what was supposed to be a 6-12" snowstorm instead stayed all sleet. Our car couldn't get out of the neighborhood on 2/11, and had to be pushed back to the driveway, since driving on the 3" of sleet was like driving on tiny ball bearings.

There were three periods of extended school closings that winter-- ...

That winter was one of my most frustrating ever. Mid-level warming and trapped cold air at the surface for just about every storm translated to 20 degrees and rain. For the MLK storm you described, even the University of MD canceled the first week of classes.

There were three periods of extended school closings that winter-- the first one in January was during the week of MLK Day. The snow to freezing rain storm happened on the same day as the Northridge Earthquake, and froze into a solid mess in the cold wave that followed. DCA fell below 0F that Thursday morning (hasn't happened since). It was an extraordinary scenario where the three area airports all were about the same in the their lows, with the cold continually pumped in on stiff winds (so not dependent on radiational cooling at all). That week, I heard the Emergency Broadcast System used for the first time for a real emergency, as Prince Georges county declared some sort of emergency about rolling brownouts/conserving power. DCA also had set the lowest daytime high for DC in the 20th century on that day (either 6 or 7 F), but clouds/WAA moving in ahead of an overnight clipper actually bumped the temp up before midnight to just tie the record (to 8F, IIRC). Friday morning, the area woke up to 1-3" of powder.

The second period of school closings was shorter, two to three days, and happened centered around 1/28. That was freezing rain which was forecast to switch to plain rain with highs in the 50's, but the switch never happened for the suburbs, and even parts of DC proper. That was the ice storm where windshield wipers were freezing onto the windshields half-pass during evening rush hour. PHL broke into the 50's while IAD's temperature actually dropped through the low 20's.

The third period of extended school closings came during the two-part 2/8-11 sequence. The first couple of days in that sequence was the spritz of snow to an extended period of ZR that the area had became used to. Then, what was supposed to be a 6-12" snowstorm instead stayed all sleet. Our car couldn't get out of the neighborhood on 2/11, and had to be pushed back to the driveway, since driving on the 3" of sleet was like driving on tiny ball bearings.

Not DC-area recollections, but I remember sitting around the house all day watching the Northridge tv coverage because the governor in MN has shut down all of the schools due to the cold weather. We had a 6 day stretch where the lows were -24 or lower 5 of the days, and highs -6 or lower 4 times. Of course, that was trumped in '96, with a streak of lows: -26, -26, -35, -35, -32, -26. Mind you, this is in the very southern part of the state. cold.gif

Archived