• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Post Pics, Thoughts, Recollections, Models, Maps, Links, etc of Overlooked or Underrated Winter Events

Deck Pic

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

here's one of my favorites that gets lost in 1/25/00 fame

I mentioned it in the other thread, 1/20/00

4" at DCA and 5" at BWI

here are the Wunderground links to DCA and BWI respectively for the day showing obs

http://www.wundergro...eq_statename=NA

http://www.wundergro...ilyHistory.html

what made this storm so great was it was a "dead ratter" of a winter, as Jerry would say, and it started a great 3 weeks of winter weather

unfortunately, those 3 weeks were winter that year, but still, a decent storm

January 30, 2010

Overshadowed by the double HECS a few days later. Broke a terrible January pattern. I remember tracking this one for what seemed like two weeks. ORH_wxman called it from really far out, as I recall. Very cold. "Cold snow" etc.

I landed back at IAD the evening of 1/29 from a week overseas...drove back to RIC late and back up early on 1/30 due to time change arriving back west. Snow started around sunrise on bare frozen ground...didn't stop until well after sunset. Peak snowfall in C VA of 2"-3" per hour. Accumulations of around 15" after settling. The elusive daytime storm with temps consistently in the teens, coldest storm I can can remember since Feb 2003. Outstanding daytime photos of the kids playing outside at the height of the event. In terms of accumulating snow, the most I saw in C VA in a single event since 1/1996...

This storm was an appetizer for DC metro but the main course in a blockbuster season for metro RIC...although the next Saturday I managed a disappointing 4" snow, then ice and rain with another 4" of powder on the back end. This is a pittance to the stories my present day JYO neighbors tell about the Feb 6 2010 event...with snow blowers getting lost in drifts, just crazy talk. I hope to hang around long enough to see another one of those some day.

Before the Dulles corridor started to get really developed, IAD got into the negative teens with some frequency. This stretch you mentioned yielded a -16F and -18F night at IAD (!!). But, I disagree that winter was over that week. 3/84 was one of the wintriest Marches we've had since 1960. A great thundersnow clipper-bomb paralyzed all traffic on 3/8 (5" at IAD), followed by a snow-to-ZR storm on 3/13 that actually managed to never break freezing at IAD with 1.01" of precip. And of course, the <970 mb low on the Delmarva dumped 3-6" of snow in the suburbs on 3/29.

I don't recall 3/84 being that great where I was: College Park with elevation <400. I know it was snowier north and west 'burbs.

3/16/07, I picked up an even 6" here; my best snow, after moving to the eastern panhandle the previous summer, until 12/09.

12/5/02?

And we have a winner thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

It was the second winter that I followed weather, and what made that storm so special was not just the fact that I got 8" of snow, but also it was the drastic change from the previous lame winter, and the fact that it was so early in the season (compared to what I expected). The snow lasted pretty long, and from then, I knew that we'd have a great winter.

And we have a winner thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

It was the second winter that I followed weather, and what made that storm so special was not just the fact that I got 8" of snow, but also it was the drastic change from the previous lame winter, and the fact that it was so early in the season (compared to what I expected). The snow lasted pretty long, and from then, I knew that we'd have a great winter.

No doubt it was a great storm after the long drought. I'm not sure it was overlooked or underrated, though-- that storm is one of the regularly mentioned great memories.

No doubt it was a great storm after the long drought. I'm not sure it was overlooked or underrated, though-- that storm is one of the regularly mentioned great memories.

Really? My impression was that PDII and the Christmas storm get much more attention, as well as the more recent Dec 5 storms.

lol...from that classic thread on eastern

zwyts

• av-2720.jpg
  • Members
  • member.png
  • 54,472 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 09:32 PM

This is a board for snow lovers 1st and foremost...I dont care that somebody's aunt's party might be cancelled...I hope fgor anyone that doesnt like snow that their weekend is ruined...I hope people slip and slide and crash into guard rails...I hope teh streets are an icy mess....

Really? My impression was that PDII and the Christmas storm get much more attention, as well as the more recent Dec 5 storms.

Well the Christmas storm got tons of attention because of CAT5's way-TMI memories of that day. But, I think at least for this area, 12/5/02 was BIG deal....especially since the last decent snowstorm was all the way back in 1/00.

I landed back at IAD the evening of 1/29 from a week overseas...drove back to RIC late and back up early on 1/30 due to time change arriving back west. Snow started around sunrise on bare frozen ground...didn't stop until well after sunset. Peak snowfall in C VA of 2"-3" per hour. Accumulations of around 15" after settling. The elusive daytime storm with temps consistently in the teens, coldest storm I can can remember since Feb 2003. Outstanding daytime photos of the kids playing outside at the height of the event. In terms of accumulating snow, the most I saw in C VA in a single event since 1/1996...

This storm was an appetizer for DC metro but the main course in a blockbuster season for metro RIC...although the next Saturday I managed a disappointing 4" snow, then ice and rain with another 4" of powder on the back end. This is a pittance to the stories my present day JYO neighbors tell about the Feb 6 2010 event...with snow blowers getting lost in drifts, just crazy talk. I hope to hang around long enough to see another one of those some day.

A great event... one of my favorites of all time for the reasons mentioned above. It was also the day before my birthday, so, a great present for me!

post-127-0-07106600-1323744298.jpg

The March '09 event was a great one, too, for me because it broke such a long snow drought here in RIC. The first real accumulations since the December '05 storm.

definitely not overlooked but certainily underrated in the Northern MA, game time decision as far as being an all snow event, thundersnow, PM rush hr disaster, great rates......

more notoriety down in the DC area because of the follow-up storm a couple of days later??

that was a wonderful storm

14"+ mby

the second storm was not quite as good around BWI, but further south really got clobbered

that winter is a perfect example of 3 storms lasting a total of about 5-6 days of snow = 30"+ snow

the rest of the winter was uneventful outside those 5-6 days

definitely not overlooked but certainily underrated in the Northern MA, game time decision as far as being an all snow event, thundersnow, PM rush hr disaster, great rates......

more notoriety down in the DC area because of the follow-up storm a couple of days later??

Well, this storm did plenty enough by itself. It was one of those awful commutes of history (3/84 and 1/11 are similar) where everything went wrong. The Fed Gov't dismissed at 10 am, right into the midst of the heavy snow. Snow had already started in the morning by the time of morning rush, so rush hour cars were still on the road for the release. Metro closed by 4 pm, so all traffic was stuck.

Then again, the DC area hadn't had a storm of this magnitude since 1983.

Well, this storm did plenty enough by itself. It was one of those awful commutes of history (3/84 and 1/11 are similar) where everything went wrong. The Fed Gov't dismissed at 10 am, right into the midst of the heavy snow. Snow had already started in the morning by the time of morning rush, so rush hour cars were still on the road for the release. Metro closed by 4 pm, so all traffic was stuck.

Then again, the DC area hadn't had a storm of this magnitude since 1983.

the first storm since 2/83 that Bob Ryan actually looked excited about

2/24/05. Probably the only event that winter that didnt underperform. We kind of got sun angled and it was mostly light/moderate but it was long duration. Snow just wouldn't shut off. 4.5" IMBY and the biggest event that winter. That night was a very wintry scene with flurries continuing. The event a few days later was a definite underperformer with the wimpy gulf low as was 1/22 and 3/8.

This was one of my favorites that is probably relevant for the M.A. area too....1/9-10/96. 1-3" was forecast here and we got about 6" with areas near BOS getting closer to 10"...but I think even there it was forecast as just flurries or a coating and you got 2-5" depending on exact location.

This was one of my favorites that is probably relevant for the M.A. area too....1/9-10/96. 1-3" was forecast here and we got about 6" with areas near BOS getting closer to 10"...but I think even there it was forecast as just flurries or a coating and you got 2-5" depending on exact location.

It actually really hampered the digging out process since most of us waited until then.

2/24/05. Probably the only event that winter that didnt underperform. We kind of got sun angled and it was mostly light/moderate but it was long duration. Snow just wouldn't shut off. 4.5" IMBY and the biggest event that winter. That night was a very wintry scene with flurries continuing. The event a few days later was a definite underperformer with the wimpy gulf low as was 1/22 and 3/8.

Snow started sticking on roads after the sun went down- one of those storms- and it one of the first EasternWx "backbuilding" snowstorms. The models eventually verified their QPF, but the storm took a different route by lingering on the tail end instead of what was literally depicted. 3/09 and 2/10-11/10 did the same thing.

2/28 was lame in the city but pretty decent in the NW suburbs, outside of the beltway. It was pretty much a copy of 2/24-25, with minimal daytime road accumulations, but a good accumulation everywhere after the sun went down.

Jan 30th 2003

THE CMC had an event for days and the GFS had a glimpse of it. No other model had it until the evening runs of Jan 29th-- the snow via model was NOT to make it north of CHO, but close to .5 qpf would happen. I posted it on WWBB and called a few friends. This ended up being my biggest event of the year- I pushed 3-6 and had close to 7 at my house. (pd2 was a sleet fest down here)

Archived