• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Post Pics, Thoughts, Recollections, Models, Maps, Links, etc of Overlooked or Underrated Winter Events

Deck Pic

Beside the big one in Jan 2000 and the under forecast snow of Jan. 29, 2010, I really don't remember that many forecasts around here that way under-estimated a snowstorm.

But on March 1-2, 2009, I was near Richmond and remember NO ONE was expecting snow down there. But it started snowing one evening, I think a Saturday, and kept going all night. By morning, most areas in city of Richmond had about 6 inches of wet snow while suburbs had up to 10. At that time, it was like the biggest snow Richmond had seen in years.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Beside the big one in Jan 2000 and the under forecast snow of Jan. 29, 2010, I really don't remember that many forecasts around here that way under-estimated a snowstorm.

But on March 1-2, 2009, I was near Richmond and remember NO ONE was expecting snow down there. But it started snowing one evening, I think a Saturday, and kept going all night. By morning, most areas in city of Richmond had about 6 inches of wet snow while suburbs had up to 10. At that time, it was like the biggest snow Richmond had seen in years.

It was Richmond's biggest storm since January 2002 (I think).

As for DC, I do recall some smaller storms that have overproduced, like the clippers of 1/5/03 and 12/5/07. In each of them, 1" of snow was expected, but they overperformed nicely and brought 3-5". Another overproducer which was mentioned in this thread was 2/25/07. And I think it's fair to say that even 2/10/10 overperformed in some places.

Who else remembers the ice storms of '94 and the massive cold outbreaks afterwards? I remember the media called it "The Big Chill of '94" at the time. Many people don't seem to remember this when I bring it up. I don't remember if it was January or February, but there was one big one where I had off school for an entire week and it was highs in the single digits after the storm. I just remember all the ice and how cold it was.

I was a freshman in college in central PA, and we had a good snow winter that year. I do remember driving through Philly when heading back to school for second semester, and seeing the Delaware and Schuylkill Rivers both frozen solid and all kinds of steam rising out of the buildings all through the city. If I recall corrently, they actually had icebreakers go up and down the Delaware.

Not DC-area recollections, but I remember sitting around the house all day watching the Northridge tv coverage because the governor in MN has shut down all of the schools due to the cold weather. We had a 6 day stretch where the lows were -24 or lower 5 of the days, and highs -6 or lower 4 times. Of course, that was trumped in '96, with a streak of lows: -26, -26, -35, -35, -32, -26. Mind you, this is in the very southern part of the state. cold.gif

Miserable.

Archived