amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Dec 6-8 storm discussion thread

Cheeznado

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm still getting what I think is flow snow. Small dandruff type stuff. Look at the radar loop for the past hour. I can't remember another time when the echos went poof so quickly.

Getting colder, already down to 27.1. Things are freezing up quick. The black ice up here is going to be bad. There are some spots of ice on my drive and walkway.

For AL, GA this looks like a cold chasing the moisture type of scenario. The moisture is rocketing along tomorrow afternoon and IMHO I think it will exit quicker than the models are showing. I think Crossville TN eastward in TN would see a change over with and inch or so possible depending on elevation. Now I'm not all that familiar with the topo and plateaus of eastern TN so lower elevations could just be flakes. I think the best chance of higher accumulation in TN, outside of the mountains, will be the far NE corner near TRI. Regarding WNC I think 1-2" will be common above 2,000 ft in elevation with more in the Banner Elk higher elevation areas. The best spot for snow looks to be SW VA and the mountains along the WV/VA line.

Maybe the models can trend colder and create some surprises. The 12z GFS now has a 546 contour down into GA while the previous runs did not.

I figured the moisture was going to be quicker to exit than the models were showing but I was a little ambitious on the amounts. Oh well....next!

Picked up over 2 inches of rain since yesterday, creeks and rivers are running over their banks. Maybe had a couple of flakes mixed in with the rain but not much. The precip exited faster than I thought it would, I figured it would end around 10 p.m. or so. Like Robert said this thing is getting it.

Friend up at UNC-A said they were getting flurries

Getting really cold here. I could hear the wind howling outside at the library(UNC-C), had to walk through buildings to my bike because of cold. The wind knocked down some construction fences on campus, and that's all the damage I could see.

Drizzle, sleet, graupel, mixed with a few flakes here in Marietta! I'm hearing the pings and seeing a few flakes! 36.9 imby

Good to know that Dobbins heat island/rain hole can't defeat determined snow!

It sure is windy outside tonight. CAE's highest reported gust was 43 with several gusts between 35-39. I ended up with .07 in the bucket, so just shy of the .10 I wanted to see. laugh.png

Dang, you are way worse than we are, and we're real bad! One of these days a deep runner will slam us bothsled.gif

37.5 at 2am...don't know if I'm making 27 tonight. Tony

Avery County Schools will be closed today. It’s an optional work day for teachers.

Madison County Schools are operating on a three-hour delay.

Mitchell, Swain and Yancey county schools are on a two-hour delay.

Just got back from taking the kids to school. The North Buncombe district should have been on a 2 hr delay. Multiple icy patches on the secondary roads. Only 2 days that have been worse with no delay since 2003. Not a good call by school adm. this am.

Archived