• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 6-8 storm discussion thread

Cheeznado

From Knox south...this valley is death to most closed lows aside from the most potent dynamic events...Been watching this for 10 years now...if you have no elevation...No Snow for You! BL temps are always just a hair too warm...

Not a WHOLE lot different for the northern valleys either. We may score the occasional victory but BL temps are usually a concern here too! It just is what it is.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From Knox south...this valley is death to most closed lows aside from the most potent dynamic events...Been watching this for 10 years now...if you have no elevation...No Snow for You! BL temps are always just a hair too warm...

I witnessed this firsthand back in the March (I think) of 2002 or 2003. I left my house at 37 and pouring rain. It was 35 and rain by Dalton. When I crested the hill on 75 just south of Cleveland it went from pouring rain to silence and heavy snow. It was rain from Cleveland all the way to Maryville. I had picked up a friend in Cleveland to visit another friend at Maryville College. We left about midnight and there was an inch or so in Maryville. We got back to Cleveland and there was nothing but rain. The next day was beautiful though. Lookout and Signal mountain were white capped. Sorry to ramble but I always thought that was a cool storm.

My forecast changed to Rain/Snow today and Snow Showers tonight. I know it won't accumulate but seeing flakes again would make me happy.

Wow, they just did the same for mby. That would be a pleasant surprise.

This Afternoon: Rain showers before 5pm, then rain and snow showers. High near 51. West wind between 15 and 20 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.

Tonight: Snow showers before 7pm. Low around 29. Northwest wind 15 to 20 mph decreasing to between 5 and 10 mph. Winds could gust as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.

Winter Storm Warning for the mountains of NE Alabama too just east of Huntsville, AL.

Not a WHOLE lot different for the northern valleys either. We may score the occasional victory but BL temps are usually a concern here too! It just is what it is.

At least you guys do get involved in NW flow events...so I did not want to lump you in...

It's funny how FFC adds advisories right up to our doorstep while MRX pulls back...HUN added WSW for NE Alabama...meanwhile Ft Payne is sitting at 48 degrees. I imagine someone on Sand Mtn will get something but WSWs seem a little extreme...I suppose criteria is low but still...

At least you guys do get involved in NW flow events...so I did not want to lump you in...

It's funny how FFC adds advisories right up to our doorstep while MRX pulls back...HUN added WSW for NE Alabama...meanwhile Ft Payne is sitting at 48 degrees. I imagine someone on Sand Mtn will get something but WSWs seem a little extreme...I suppose criteria is low but still...

Yeah, apparently the southern offices are banking on that area of snow to the west coming over later while KMRX is either thinking it will remain too warm or that said area will go south.

The agony and woes to snow lovers living within the great valley between the Cumberlands and the Smokies.

I've lived in the northern edge of it my entire life and all I can say is if it weren't for those mountains to the east and west the area would have more snowfall. Down sloping from pretty much every direction other than the southwest!

I witnessed this firsthand back in the March (I think) of 2002 or 2003. I left my house at 37 and pouring rain. It was 35 and rain by Dalton. When I crested the hill on 75 just south of Cleveland it went from pouring rain to silence and heavy snow. It was rain from Cleveland all the way to Maryville. I had picked up a friend in Cleveland to visit another friend at Maryville College. We left about midnight and there was an inch or so in Maryville. We got back to Cleveland and there was nothing but rain. The next day was beautiful though. Lookout and Signal mountain were white capped. Sorry to ramble but I always thought that was a cool storm.

Good story. Glad you posted it. Yeah on those mornings Chattanooga almost has that Denver look with snowcaps west of town. Well, if you imagine. The Smokies sometimes look great from Knoxville too.

Appears the WRF got carried away initializing the comma head. Sell Mortimer Sell! CAA at 850 already decimating the comma head. Breaking up on radar and vis. MRX using pattern recognition for the win!

Of course it'll pan out in the Apps above 2,000 FT and the Plateau is getting some snow now. Otherwise this is the South: Think of reasons not to forecast snow. Plenty of those from Chattanooga to Knoxville. Happy to see more for the NC mountains though. See you on the ski slopes!

Wow, they just did the same for mby. That would be a pleasant surprise.

This Afternoon: Rain showers before 5pm, then rain and snow showers. High near 51. West wind between 15 and 20 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.

Tonight: Snow showers before 7pm. Low around 29. Northwest wind 15 to 20 mph decreasing to between 5 and 10 mph. Winds could gust as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. Little or no snow accumulation expected.

Winter Storm Warning for the mountains of NE Alabama too just east of Huntsville, AL.

IMHO...I think they are being a little ambitious with that snow forecast. Maybe I'm wrong but I just don't see it like they do.

Sometimes I don't understand GSP's thinking. My forecast:

Tonight: Snow showers, mainly before 2am. The snow could be heavy at times. Patchy fog between 11pm and 1am. Patchy freezing fog before 11pm. Low around 20. Blustery, with a northwest wind between 15 and 23 mph, with gusts as high as 38 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

Anyhow, I'm at 2.42 for the storm. They just let out schools here for some reason. Enough rain already, SNOW !

Sometimes I don't understand GSP's thinking. My forecast:

Tonight: Snow showers, mainly before 2am. The snow could be heavy at times. Patchy fog between 11pm and 1am. Patchy freezing fog before 11pm. Low around 20. Blustery, with a northwest wind between 15 and 23 mph, with gusts as high as 38 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

Anyhow, I'm at 2.42 for the storm. They just let out schools here for some reason. Enough rain already, SNOW !

It's very heavy - light snow. :arrowhead:

Looking at the radar, I don't see how anyone south of Rome is going to see much.

The rule of thumb here may apply in this situation and that is when the FFC puts out something like this, you can usually count on the opposite.

I don't see with the radar and the wind how black ice is going to be an issue, but never the less....

Nothing to see here folks... move along... move along. :)

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PEACHTREE CITY GA

145 PM EST WED DEC 7 2011

.SHORT TERM /TONIGHT THROUGH FRIDAY/...

FOR THIS EVENING...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR

PORTIONS OF NORTHWEST GEORGIA FOR THE POTENTIAL FOR LIGHT

ACCUMULATIONS /LESS THAN 1 INCH/ ON GRASSY SURFACES ESPECIALLY AT

HIGHER ELEVATIONS. FLURRIES AND LIGHT SNOW WILL BE POSSIBLE ACROSS

THE REST OF EXTREME NORTH GEORGIA...BUT IF ANY ACCUMULATIONS OCCUR

THEY WOULD BE VERY LIGHT AND ONLY ON GRASSY SURFACES. BUFR

SOUNDINGS FOR CHATTANOOGA AND BRASSTOWN BALD CONTINUE TO INDICATE

A CHANGEOVER FROM RAIN TO SNOW THIS AFTERNOON...WITH SATURATION AT

-10C ENOUGH FOR DENDRITIC SNOW GROWTH...PLUS WITH THE UPPER

SHORTWAVE/LOW MOVING ACROSS LAPSE RATES INCREASE ALOFT AND ENOUGH

SYMMETRIC INSTABILITY MOVES OVER THE AREA TO ALLOW FOR BRIEF SNOW

BANDING. OVERALL..EXPECT A VERY MINOR EVENT. PERHAPS MORE

SIGNIFICANTLY WOULD BE THE POTENTIAL FOR BLACK ICE OVERNIGHT AND

EARLY THURSDAY MORNING AS TEMPERATURES DROP INTO THE UPPER 20S

ACROSS A GOOD PORTION OF THE AREA. WIND ADVISORY THIS AFTERNOON IS

STILL IN EFFECT SO IT IS POSSIBLE THAT THE STRONG WINDS WILL BE

ENOUGH TO EVAPORATE MOISTURE OFF THE ROADS...BUT JUST IN CASE WILL

CONTINUE THE SPS ALREADY OUT MENTIONING THE POSSIBILITY OF BLACK

ICE. MAY SEE SOME LINGERING LIGHT SNOW OR FLURRIES ACROSS THE

NORTHEAST MOUNTAINS OVERNIGHT BUT IT SHOULD MOVE OUT QUITE

QUICKLY.

STRONG UPPER SYSTEM MOVING ACROSS THE TENNESSEE VALLEY WILL ZIP ON

OUT OF THE AREA OVERNIGHT...WITH SURFACE HIGH PRESSURE MOVING INTO

THE REGION OVERNIGHT AND EARLY THURSDAY. NEARLY ZONAL FLOW ALOFT

IN THE WAKE OF THE SHORTWAVE WILL TRANSITION TO WEAK SOUTHWEST

FLOW ALOFT BY FRIDAY AS ANOTHER STRONG UPPER LOW PUSHES ACROSS

CANADA...WITH A SHORTWAVE WORKING INTO THE UPPER MISSISSIPPI

VALLEY. THIS WILL BRING A REINFORCING DRY FRONT THROUGH THE AREA

FRIDAY NIGHT INTO SATURDAY. AHEAD OF THE FRONT ON FRIDAY...SHOULD

SEE JUST A LITTLE BIT OF A WARMUP THOUGH ONLY A FEW DEGREES.

OVERALL...AFTER TONIGHT EXPECT DRY THROUGH THE SHORT TERM WITH

TEMPS NEAR NORMAL FOR THIS TIME OF YEAR. OVERALL TOOK A BIAS-

ADJUSTED MAV/MET BLEND.

2.64" storm total thus far with moderate rain falling at the moment. I don't doubt a 3"+ liquid total when all is said and done. Temperature has been steady at 50ºF all day, and is only now beginning to fall.

Crossville is 34ºF with light snow: SPECI KCSV 071839Z AUTO 32008G18KT 3/4SM -SN BR BKN006 OVC010 01/M01 A2988 RMK AO2 P0001

Huntsville is 37ºF with a rain/snow mix: METAR KHSV 071753Z 31013G21KT 5SM -RASN BR BKN009 OVC014 03/02 A3005 RMK AO2 SNB46 SLP176 P0004 60012 T00280017 10061 20028 50018 $

Archived