joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 6-8 storm discussion thread

Cheeznado

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snow reported last hour in Shreveport, LA. Interesting.

The 0c line is right over top of them right now.

post-6441-0-35437000-1323224195.gif

The precip started to fill in quickly this evening over AL/MS/TN and is spreading north pretty quick.

And the thickness is crashing right now, plus 925 temps are well below zero. This will translate east northeast tomorrow for far north Alabama and most of Tennessee and northwest GA eventually briefly. If you really want to see it snow , northeast TN into most of West Va is looking pretty good by tomorrow night.

And the thickness is crashing right now, plus 925 temps are well below zero. This will translate east northeast tomorrow for far north Alabama and most of Tennessee and northwest GA eventually briefly. If you really want to see it snow , northeast TN into most of West Va is looking pretty good by tomorrow night.

I will be going right through west va on the way to pittsburgh. May leave tomorrow night to get a head start on the snow. Guys on the PA forum said rough drive through west va?

That's been quite an explosion of moisture over the past 6 hours moving out of LA toward E TN. Don't normally see the precip advance that rapidly. Chattanooga gets it again.

And NW GA! lol dude no joke this rain moved and expanded from LA to GA in like an hour this evening. Got back into moderate rain by 7 this evening. Prob looking at over another inch. This makes almost 3 inches in the past two days on top of the 7"+ last week. Just bringing me some flakes tomorrow and I will be happy!

A lot of rain here too. It just seems like its non stop. Almost like being in a Nino again.

And NW GA! lol dude no joke this rain moved and expanded from LA to GA in like an hour this evening. Got back into moderate rain by 7 this evening. Prob looking at over another inch. This makes almost 3 inches in the past two days on top of the 7"+ last week. Just bringing me some flakes tomorrow and I will be happy!

Wow FFC actually did an evening text update:

FFC:

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PEACHTREE CITY GA

1003 PM EST TUE DEC 6 2011

.UPDATE...

RAIN CONTINUES ACROSS THE FORECAST AREA THIS EVENING...AND OVERALL

FORECAST LOOKS TO BE ON TRACK. HAVE MADE A FEW MINOR ADJUSTMENTS

TO HOURLY TEMPERATURES. BIG QUESTION WILL BE POTENTIAL FOR SNOW

ACROSS EXTREME NORTH GEORGIA TOMORROW WITH THE INFLUENCE OF THE

FRONT AS THE SYSTEM LIFTS TO THE NORTH. NAM AND GFS MORE GUNG-HO

ABOUT THE POTENTIAL FOR SNOW...BRINGING MODEL ACCUMULATIONS AS FAR

SOUTH AS THE ATLANTA METRO AREA. SREF MORE RESERVED WITH BEST SNOW

CHANCES AFTER 21Z WED AND ONLY ACROSS NE AL AND THE TN-GA BORDER.

BUFFER SOUNDINGS SHOWING THE INFLUENCE OF THE COLD AIR MORE

PROMINENT IN THE CHATTANOOGA AREA...AND NOT INDICATIVE OF SNOWY

PRECIPITATION FURTHER SOUTH. THE EXTENT OF THE COLD AIR WILL BE

THE THING TO WATCH. FOR NOW...LOOKS LIKE SYSTEM WILL LIFT OUT OF

THE AREA BEFORE WE SEE THE COLDER TEMPERATURES. HAVE OPTED TO WAIT

ON UPDATING THE FORECAST FOR SNOW OR RAIN-SNOW POSSIBILITY...AND

ALLOW THE MIDNIGHT SHIFT TO FURTHER INVESTIGATE THE MODEL DATA AND

MAKE THE CALL.

Wow, I can't believe how well you are doing! And I looked at my gauge a while ago and was tickled to see almost .2 in there, lol. At least these thing are packing the juice if you are in the right place. Sooner or later one will swing by Columbus or Valdosta. Or Tampa. T

This thing is moving quickly, much more quick than I thought. It should be ending by midnight in the southern Apps region, and not nearly as much throwback of moisture into ne Tn as I thought. Now I'm thinking a few hours of snow then clearing. A few inches in West Va and into Pa as well where moisture meets the colder for longer. With the clearing tonight black ice is going to be a problem with temps below freezing.

Yeah, only looking at about 2 hours of snow on the backside. Good thing this is mostly a rain event and I never got excited about it.

This thing is moving quickly, much more quick than I thought. It should be ending by midnight in the southern Apps region, and not nearly as much throwback of moisture into ne Tn as I thought. Now I'm thinking a few hours of snow then clearing. A few inches in West Va and into Pa as well where moisture meets the colder for longer. With the clearing tonight black ice is going to be a problem with temps below freezing.

I'm up to .4 now. And it is still raining. Heck, I might make half an inch :thumbsup: Tony

I had 1.5" when I left this morning at 6:15. Probably got another .2" or so. I'm creeping up on 50" for the year so not bad considering how my neighbors to the south and southwest are doing. That snow in MS and AL is teasing me on the radar.

FXUS62 KFFC 071610 AAC

AFDFFC

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION...UPDATED

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PEACHTREE CITY GA

1110 AM EST WED DEC 7 2011

.UPDATE...

WILL BE ISSUING WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR PORTIONS OF NORTHWEST

GEORGIA. RAIN ALREADY CHANGING OVER TO SNOW IN NORTH CENTRAL

ALABAMA...AND LOOKING AT FRONTOGENESIS FIELDS AND SATURATED

POTENTIAL VORTICITY...AM SEEING INDICATIONS OF POSSIBLE BANDING EARLY THIS AFTERNOON ACROSS NORTHWEST GEORGIA. ENOUGH SATURATION FOR DENDRITIC GROWTH ALOFT AND EVEN THOUGH SURFACE TEMPERATURES

MIGHT BE JUST ABOVE FREEZING IT WILL PROBABLY BE MOSTLY SNOW AT

THE SURFACE ONCE IT STARTS CHANGING OVER...IT WILL JUST MELT

FAIRLY QUICKLY. COMPARING BUFR SOUNDINGS FOR BRASSTOWN AND

CHATTANOOGA...DRY AIR REALLY SURGES IN THIS AFTERNOON SO DO NOT

EXPECT THE NORTHEAST GEORGIA MOUNTAINS TO GET MUCH...SO HAVE NO

PLANS TO ISSUE ADVISORY FOR THAT AREA. HAVE KEPT SNOW GRIDS TO

AROUND ONE HALF INCH ACROSS NORTHWEST GEORGIA AND EVEN AT THAT

EXPECT THAT IT WILL REMAIN AT THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS.

HAVE MADE SOME MINOR TWEAKS TO HOURLY TEMPS...WE HAVE ALREADY

REACHED THE HIGH FOR THE DAY ACROSS MOST OF THE AREA...SO HAVE

JUST SPED UP THE DOWNWARD TREND IN TEMPS. LOTS OF TWEAKS TO

WEATHER GRIDS TO ADJUST THE SNOW AND MIX WORDING...BUT OTHERWISE

NO SIGNIFICANT CHANGES.

WILL ALSO PLAN TO ISSUE SPS FOR THE REMAINDER OF NORTH GEORGIA...

INCLUDING METRO ATLANTA...TO COVER THE POTENTIAL FOR BLACK ICE

TONIGHT. WITH STRONG WINDS /SEE WIND ADVISORY/ TODAY...AM HOPING

THAT MOST MOISTURE EVAPORATES BEFORE TEMPS DROP TO FREEZING BUT

NOT OUT OF THE QUESTION THAT SOME AREAS COULD STILL SEE PROBLEMS.

UPDATED PRODUCTS WILL BE OUT SHORTLY.

My forecast changed to Rain/Snow today and Snow Showers tonight. I know it won't accumulate but seeing flakes again would make me happy.

MRX has taken snow completely out of the forecast for the central/southern valley.....................................yeah. wow.

From Knox south...this valley is death to most closed lows aside from the most potent dynamic events...Been watching this for 10 years now...if you have no elevation...No Snow for You! BL temps are always just a hair too warm...

Archived