joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 6-8 storm discussion thread

Cheeznado

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ended up with 2.72 inches of rain with a 2 inch white topper. Cold this morning, 19.7 wind a little breeze. Now, to get those snow guns blowing on the slopes !!

Nice pickup from both ends. The guns were turned on yesterday around 3 - 4pm for all major slopes in NC. It's so amazing how with their gun infrastructure and recent upgrades (millions of dollars spent) they can go from notta to a 5' base in only 12 hrs with normal conditions. Now, add in this stiff wind and it will def take longer. I would love to read up on their operational cost for a season.

Nice pickup from both ends. The guns were turned on yesterday around 3 - 4pm for all major slopes in NC. It's so amazing how with their gun infrastructure and recent upgrades (millions of dollars spent) they can go from notta to a 5' base in only 12 hrs with normal conditions. Now, add in this stiff wind and it will def take longer. I would love to read up on their operational cost for a season.

It is amazing how much snow they can make if the weather is just right. I have also noticed that there is some skill involved in the "strategy" as well, where you locate the guns, how you push the snow, etc. Some resorts are better at it than others. I ski at Wolf alot since it's just down the road and they aren't very good. Seems like they're always playing catch up.

It is amazing how much snow they can make if the weather is just right. I have also noticed that there is some skill involved in the "strategy" as well, where you locate the guns, how you push the snow, etc. Some resorts are better at it than others. I ski at Wolf alot since it's just down the road and they aren't very good. Seems like they're always playing catch up.

I make snow using a home scale snowgun and I tell ya you are so right in that it takes experience and know how to make it efficent. Talking with some guys at Cat, they say anywhere from 40 - 60% can be lost just due to wind; talk about a pain.

My conditions have to be super perfect for me to make snow; little to no wind, lower humidity (below 94%) and of course temps around 27 or lower. Ive made snow for four seasons now and every time I learn something new. Im thankful for my notebook as I would have made the same mistake a dozen times over, lol. But as much as this is a science based around ideal conditions, its an art too, just like forecasting. They a gut feeling for a reason!

Archived