joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 6-8 storm discussion thread

Cheeznado

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lt. rain snow mix here now as the back edge of the solid area of precip has drifted back west some. Heavy snow falling in eastern Lee and throughout Wise county now. here's a cam from Wise showing it beginning to stick :

http://www.mcs.uvawise.edu/webcam/

Yeah it was snowing up in Big Stone Gap and on the way back to Gate City it turned to rain.

FFC is on drugs, as usual. Nobody south of the mountains or maybe Rome will see snow....and "black ice" in ATL- LOL.

Definate fail. It's funny how they jump the gun on situations like this but other times they wait until there's 3" of snow on the ground. BTW I have a black ice story in ATL. In December of 2005 I was taking my last final at Georgia Tech before graduating. I reckon this was after the ice storm. Anyways, it took me over 2 hours to get to Atlanta from Acworth because of the black ice. Once I got there I had to shuffle across the parking lots. It was scaring me to death since I was almost failing the class and needed a C (Advanced Micro-economics - big mistake) However, that is the only time in my years of driving that I've encountered something that bad.

It's been a pretty steady light rain for the past 20 minutes here in Marietta. Temp down to 42, not a flake mixed in. The radar shows nothing yet it is raining pretty good right now. I guess Dacula is right when he said yesterday that the surrounding sites are not picking up on everything.

edit : just tapered to a drizzle.

35F at home with rain/snow mix, 37F in town with moderate rain. Drove to Beauty Spot on the state line and witnessed the changeover from rain to snow. While I was on the trail, the temperature dropped four degrees (15-20 minutes). I'll post pictures later. The story here may be minor flooding from swollen creeks and streams. The Main St bridge over Rock Creek is about a foot from being overtaken.

More when I get home.

Sent from Tapatalk

Boy by the look of the twc radar, north Georgia is shafted again sad.png the loop showed as soon as it crossed the border is disappated?

Remember, KFFC is down for Dual Pole upgrades,and this moisture is so low, the surrounding radars can't pick it up. I have the Atlanta Terminal Doppler though

tatl_07.png

Still a ways away from me, but this is headed in my general direction.

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RALEIGH NC

450 PM EST WED DEC 7 2011

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN RALEIGH HAS ISSUED A

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR...

HOKE COUNTY IN CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA

CUMBERLAND COUNTY IN CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA

HARNETT COUNTY IN CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA

* UNTIL 530 PM EST

* AT 445 PM EST...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM ALONG A LINE EXTENDING FROM 11 MILES WEST OF

PINEVIEW TO ANTIOCH TO 21 MILES SOUTH OF ANTIOCH...OR ALONG A LINE

EXTENDING FROM 10 MILES SOUTHEAST OF CARTHAGE TO 5 MILES SOUTH OF

RAEFORD TO 8 MILES NORTHEAST OF SOUTH OF THE BORDER...MOVING EAST

AT 50 MPH. WINDS IN EXCESS OF 58 MPH ARE LIKELY WITH THIS STORM.

Archived