northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Thursday Wintry Threat

CT Rain

• Replies 889
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's pretty cool to live at 3500 feet. :thumbsup: I used to fantasize about living at like 3500' in the Catskills ...buying a mountain summit. :santa: Up here 3500' would be like living in a sub arctic climate in the winter.....

Ya it is beautiful! I live on the side of a mountain on the TN/NC boarder. There is nothing but mountains all the way around. We get a LOT of tourist year round. I like it until you get two feet of snow and can't get off the mountain! Take care guys!

The only interesting weather that has occured in Wilmington, MA for the last 20 years has been snow.

-Sorry, dude.

That could be construed as an imby bias, too. When I was a youngin' I used to skip school in Junior High, so I could go down to the public library and read about hurricanes - I grew up in Michigan. ;)

John loves to tout himself as "purely a scientist", as though he is some sort of supreme, ever objective being, but he can melt down with the best of them lol.

Case en point, Boxing day 2010...Ryan and I were right there with him.

Yes, but that was relative to THAT storm - it had nothing to do with my general outlook on things. Seriously. I'm not saying I am not an emotional, envious, flawed being - I'm just saying that it is more evenly distributed. hhhahaha

Well I think it also makes the snow more rewarding when it isn't "too easy". 556" in places like Tahoe I think would cheapen it for me. But of course I don't want to be in JI's shoes.

Thanks for the comp. I don't think it is untrue which is why I wrote it. We all love snow. I think something gets lost in all of it though...we all love the chase of snow and the board population has grown so much that now we have posters telling others they are pathetic because they average less snow. That is embarrassing when it comes to the scientific community which is what meteorology should be about.

I know this isn't all about science...its mostly about snow...but it still should be about snow for everyone and not some sort of pissing contest about snow unless its in a slightly ribbing nature like we do to Kevin sometimes....but I could honestly move out to my Aunt's house in Alpine Meadows ski resort near Lake Tahoe and tell people how pathetic they are because I am getting 556" of snow that winter. It adds nothing. It only tells everyone what a narcissist I am about frozen water.

That could be construed as an imby bias, too. When I was a youngin' I used to skip school in Junior High, so I could go down to the public library and read about hurricanes - I grew up in Michigan. ;)

I am heavily IMBY biased with regard to all facets of weather, BUT the tropics.

The tropical guys will vouch for that....I live in that thread when there is a viable threat to the US, which seemingly hasn't happened since Haley's commet.

John loves to tout himself as "purely a scientist", as though he is some sort of supreme, ever objective being, but he can melt down with the best of them lol.

Case en point, Boxing day 2010...Ryan and I were right there with him.

Oh no doubt. It's the little events that mean nothing to me. 3" or 4" or whatever are pretty meaningless to me... and I'm definitely in the minority. The only time when I would want something like that would be when I'm either going skiing or trying to get some record snowpack.

The big storms bring out the weenie in me like you've all seen. Even a couple meltdowns.

I am heavily IMBY biased with regard to all facets of weather, BUT the tropics.

The tropical guys will vouch for that....I live in that thread when there is a viable threat to the US, which seemingly hasn't happened since Haley's commet.

The hysteria after Katrina, Rita, and Wilma looks so funny now..."US will be getting hit all the time now!!.

How many times have we seen "experts" completely sh*t the bed after an active hurricane season? I'm so sick of hearing about it on climate crap...but that is OT.

I should focus back on snowstorms. Tip made an amazing call with yours truly on Dec 9, 2005 in my first inception to Easternuswx.com. I remember it was me and Tip bantering back and forth about that 80kts at 850mb which is almost unheard of in a winter storm.

The hysteria after Katrina, Rita, and Wilma looks so funny now..."US will be getting hit all the time now!!.

How many times have we seen "experts" completely sh*t the bed after an active hurricane season? I'm so sick of hearing about it on climate crap...but that is OT.

I should focus back on snowstorms. Tip made an amazing call with yours truly on Dec 9, 2005 in my first inception to Easternuswx.com. I remember it was me and Tip bantering back and forth about that 80kts at 850mb which is almost unheard of in a winter storm.

Unfortunately, like everything else, folks will use weather to champion their own personal agendas in an effort to line their pockets at every opportunity.

Capitalism consumes all.

Everyone is seemingly a stakeholder in everything, today and stakeholders are inherently advesarial to objectivity.

Uh, with that said ...

I'm out.. Have a great night! work looms -

In closing I'll say that the Euro run will be most interesting upon dawn's early light. ...for me anyway. I recall, speaking of Dec 05, the GFS also plastered the storm SE and the NAM held serve, and the GFS came back violently in the last 18 to 12 hours.

One thing different here as Will also mentioned ...some other thread long time ago, far, far away, the PV is strong and seemingly more invasive than '05. IN '05, that event's dynamics were allowed to play out with a bit more stream separation in the NAM - lots of plausible error correcting here.

I totally understand this....I really do. But when snowflakes fall my 65 yo personna immediate transforms to age 9.

When I lived in LA, I had a serious relationship with a woman in Seattle. I used to visit her and stay sometimes for weeks. Once we went to Bellingham,WA for a weekend. On the way back to town, we hit a convergence zone of heavy snow in Everett, WA north of Seattle. Concurrently, the car needed gas. I pulled into the station and was laughing uncontrollably with glee while slowly walking to the guy to unlock the pumps (this was before it was possible pump side). I realized at that moment I had to move back and I was in boston within 18 months.

I know there is a regular bunch of them living near where NY/MA/VT come together so they are never that away. That bunch wanders west into greater ALB on occasion looking for girlfriends or something. LOL Of course they also live about 40 miles NNW of ALB around Lake Desolation in nw Saratoga County and they wander down into surburban ALB occasionally and get transported back to the Dacks by DEC guys.

I had one in my yard over the summer, scared the crap out of me when I startled it and it took off running into the woods.

Yes track just se of benchmark and all snow, but nw areas fringed.

It did trend well west/north from the last run....so stay tuned I guess and wait for Will to awaken and analyze it. :)

Thanks. I could not see the 850 and 540 lines at the time of it's closest pass. eWall jumped from 74 to 96 hours. It started with 540 NW of here and when it was near Nova Scotia, the 540 line was well SE of here. I'm in extreme northern Worcester county. I'm also seeing the timing is a night event as well.

Archived