e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Thursday Wintry Threat

CT Rain

• Replies 889
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea, mixed would have been better, but we are talking about a primative day 4 map on a weekend. :lol:

It never fails...tomorrow I will hear someone talk about a snow and/or ice storm for Thursday.

Somehow on that 11/17 storm where there was forecast for a coating of snow after rain...people were talking about a few inches. It's like they look for the highest snow forecast and triple it.

I guess it is if you want to be a technical douche and semantic someone to death, but the ORH hills are in no way climatologically akin to the cp...we all know that.

Well obviously...from a met standpoint...you go by where CAD sets up which is where the coastal influences gets overwhelmed by the land influence. But I wouldn't expect a weenie to know that...except the knowledgeagle amateurs like you and many others. But the average ignorant weenie won't get that impact line. But even most ignorant weenies know W 495 is the line because that is what our TV mets have always said which is correct....going back to the 1950s...they do it based on real climo patterns....so eventually over the years 495 became a distinct line for CAD and the CF a bit closer like 128 which was another line....before the detailed models, it was identified by the local mets from trial and error.

I don't understand the meaning of that West of 495 stuff I hear on forecasts out of BOS such as WBZ Accu-wx I get on the radio. 495 bends totally ...so whats west of one part is well east of another part of it. :)

Well obviously...from a met standpoint...you go by where CAD sets up which is where the coastal influences gets overwhelmed by the land influence. But I wouldn't expect a weenie to know that...except the knowledgeagle amateurs like you and many others. But the average ignorant weenie won't get that impact line. But even most ignorant weenies know W 495 is the line because that is what our TV mets have always said which is correct....going back to the 1950s...they do it based on real climo patterns....so eventually over the years 495 became a distinct line for CAD and the CF a bit closer like 128 which was another line....before the detailed models, it was identified by the local mets from trial and error.

I don't understand the meaning of that West of 495 stuff I hear on forecasts out of BOS such as WBZ Accu-wx I get on the radio. 495 bends totally ...so whats west of one part is well east of another part of it. :)

They usually say ":North and West of 495" which basically means anyone outside 495 from the pike northward. Maybe slightly south of the pike in S ORH county where there is still elevation.

They usually say ":North and West of 495" which basically means anyone outside 495 from the pike northward. Maybe slightly south of the pike in S ORH county where there is still elevation.

If you really want to be safe, go with west of the apex of the loop....often times being simply n...as in near Lowell, is not good enough.

If you really want to be safe, go with west of the apex of the loop....often times being simply n...as in near Lowell, is not good enough.

In some cases, saying ASH to ORH is a better line...but 495 is often good...but agreed. There are times when it matters. Sometimes like 2/24/10 when its more like AFN to ORH...but that wasn't even true in 12/7/96...in 12/7/96 the ASH to ORH line worked well...ASH got 13"...but Lowell got like 6" of slush...and you got like 3-4" of slop before the heavy rain.

In some cases, saying ASH to ORH is a better line...but 495 is often good...but agreed. There are times when it matters. Sometimes like 2/24/10 when its more like AFN to ORH...but that wasn't even true in 12/7/96...in 12/7/96 the ASH to ORH line worked well...ASH got 13"...but Lowell got like 6" of slush...and you got like 3-4" of slop before the heavy rain.

Try 2" :lol:

Nam is furthest west of the guidance but of course it's well outside of it's wheelhouse. I'm pretty confident of a significant event. I just don't know if it will be cold enough. My gut sways rain and plenty of it east and south of a PWM-ORH line and possibly good snows on the other side. I could pick up an inch of slop on either end to win my bet but I doubt it's anything more qt this point.

Nam is furthest west of the guidance but of course it's well outside of it's wheelhouse. I'm pretty confident of a significant event. I just don't know if it will be cold enough. My gut sways rain and plenty of it east and south of a PWM-ORH line and possibly good snows on the other side. I could pick up an inch of slop on either end to win my bet but I doubt it's anything more qt this point.

Where does it have to snow an inch? Logan?

Not sure that would happen, lol.

Agreed.

Need the EURO to cave to confirm, though.

Archived