• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
December moving forward...pattern disco

weathafella

The "torch" could end up being more N-C US than New England, given the amount of cold air that will exist in eastern Canada. Yes, the NAO will be positive but I agree with tip that the amount of cold air needs to be considered.

An annoying December for sure, especially for New England. At least in the Mid-Atlantic, we know we are screwed outside of CAD areas.

Once the cold gets into the interior...it's a b*tch to scour out. Will, Ryan, and I were hoping maybe hr 180-hr 240 or so will hold something for New England. I'm hoping the trough isn't too positively tilted like the euro and ensembles have and any low pressure is well out at sea. There is still plenty of time to wait and see on that.

Otherwise the next threat might be mid month, but then the more widespread cold may be missing.

It would be nice to get some action here regardless....what an awfully boring pattern so far.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah seems like late next week or weekend would be the timeframe for that..then hopefully the warmup is brief before the 20-23rd threat. Dec still comes in above normal but don;t think these calls of of +3 to +5 will verify

lol... this has to be a joke right?

I was just going to post that. I think we're seeing just how deep and strong that cold air over Canada is. This might be the best Euro run in weeks

What a horror show of a Euro run. Little storminess, a bout of near normal temperatures, and we emerge at D10 to a CONUS torch with a +EPO returning. What a nightmare.

LOL.

There is so much weenie fodder in here now.

The point is that while the pattern isn't very favorable, we may have a shot or two in the next couple of weeks....maybe a warm up, and then hopefully a cool down towards the end of the month. I'm certainly not impressed by what we have whatsoever, but I don't think climo snowfall is out of reach. It's going to depend on what the EPO does. If it stays flat even during mid month, than we may have to deal with a zonal flow regime and PAC taint. If it can gain any amplitude, we'll have a surge or two of colder air and possible threats.

It is what it is...not a terribly wintry pattern, but it could be worse for sure. Lets just hope the mid month warmer period doesn't last long, because there is a risk that it could.

The "torch" could end up being more N-C US than New England, given the amount of cold air that will exist in eastern Canada. Yes, the NAO will be positive but I agree with tip that the amount of cold air needs to be considered.

An annoying December for sure, especially for New England. At least in the Mid-Atlantic, we know we are screwed outside of CAD areas.

well this sounds encouraging, given the lack to date of any cold air in eastern canada.....so you see that the changes being advertised by the GFS / euro upcoming will be lingering....? good news.

i also read an outlook from Tornado Girl and she foresees a big pattern change coming shortly for the east, in her winter outlook. i dont know about her longterm forecasting, but she is excellent forecasting short term events several days out.

encouraged.

It seems like this MJO wave is going to have trouble advancing through the Pacific though. Between unfavorable MJO phases and an ice cold stratrosphere with little blocking I'm not sure how to get much long lasting cold in here.

Hey Ryan...just wondering what the correlation between the temperature in the strato. and our chances at a cold shot are, or if you could just point me at something I can read about it? Thanks!

Hey Ryan...just wondering what the correlation between the temperature in the strato. and our chances at a cold shot are, or if you could just point me at something I can read about it? Thanks!

A cold startosphere correlates to an undisturbed polar vortex\+AO.....warm stratosphere to a disturbred polar vortex\-AO.

Archived