• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter 2011-12 Forecast

RaleighWx

Very nice forecast there Allan. Can't wait to see how our blocking behaves this go around. It would be nice if it came out stronger and longer-lasting than expected but that's just wishful thinking on my part. We'll see. If we somehow manage 3 great winters in a row this time, it would be something to remember.

Seems a lot like last winter, with December and January being cold, and February being warmer. I bet we'll get a big snow the end of December/beginning of January, one more good event in January, and nothing in February like last winter. And there will be multiple events where weenies like myself will jump off cliffs because of the models showing a big snow and then taking it away less than 24 hours before it was supposed to hit.

Seems a lot like last winter, with December and January being cold, and February being warmer. I bet we'll get a big snow the end of December/beginning of January, one more good event in January, and nothing in February like last winter. And there will be multiple events where weenies like myself will jump off cliffs because of the models showing a big snow and then taking it away less than 24 hours before it was supposed to hit.

That's what we call "winter in the south". Get used to it.

That's what we call "winter in the south". Get used to it.

I don't believe you can always rely on the goodole' standby "this is the South" so it doesn't snow much. Of course it's relative to each location, but patterns occur. Just because the bulk of your life has probably been shown to have less than 6" or 8" a year, doesn't mean it was always so. The folks who lived through the 60's and 70's were probably a little surprised at how much it snowed. If we'd have a period of several years in a row of say double the "normal" snow, folks would probably take notice. But even beyond that, what if we headed to the late 1800's standards, or the 1500's, when most likely snowfall was a heck of a lot more common than now in the South? And pattern changes occurred quickly. We may be in one now. But yeah there will always be more "threats" than actual bonafide Winter storms. But believe it or not, the day may come in our lifetimes that "getting used to it" may mean more Wintry mess , year after year, after year. Hard to imagine, I know.

Archived