• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter 2011-12 Forecast

RaleighWx

i think a lot think we are suppose to average 30 inches a year here in NC but anything we get is a bonus

It'd just be nice to have a storm where it actually snows at or below 32 degrees for more than 15 minutes at a time. I have to think back to I think January 2004 for such a storm.

December 2010. Don't try and weasel out of this one!

Chapel Hill was in a relative minimum for that storm. It had the same problem we always seem to have:

* Snowing above 32 degrees, so accumulation very limited

* Lack of solid precip shield here, so snow comes in short batches, with melting in between due to marginal temps

Edit: just confirmed with December 26 data for KIGX. It's certainly happened since 2004.

We got, at best, 4" here. The first third of the storm was above freezing.

Chapel Hill was in a relative minimum for that storm. It had the same problem we always seem to have:

* Snowing above 32 degrees, so accumulation very limited

* Lack of solid precip shield here, so snow comes in short batches, with melting in between due to marginal temps

We got, at best, 4" here. The first third of the storm was above freezing.

And the last two-thirds weren't. That's still more than 15 minutes. :)

If you're going to complain, don't rely on hyperbole.

And the last two-thirds weren't. That's still more than 15 minutes. :)

If you're going to complain, don't rely on hyperbole.

You don't get less than 4" of snow over 12 hours unless what I said was true. I saw the radar. I was sick that night, so I checked it at various times during the night. It was crap here except for a little while in the morning.

You don't get less than 4" of snow over 12 hours unless what I said was true. I saw the radar. I was sick that night, so I checked it at various times during the night. It was crap here except for a little while in the morning.

"15 minutes." I do understand your complaint; just being pedantic.

Seriously, it is weird how your backyard seems to have a lot less than mine. Even in that Dec 4 clipper.... And you live near Estes Hills, right? I guess it must be elevation or something. I was closing in on my sixth inch by the time all was said and done with the Xmas storm. We were still a relative minimum, and it melted really fast.

Let's see if we can get a Jan 30 repeat this year! Even you did well on that one, right? Turning to sleet really helped lock in the snow cover.

"15 minutes." I do understand your complaint; just being pedantic.

Seriously, it is weird how your backyard seems to have a lot less than mine. Even in that Dec 4 clipper.... And you live near Estes Hills, right? I guess it must be elevation or something. I was closing in on my sixth inch by the time all was said and done with the Xmas storm. We were still a relative minimum, and it melted really fast.

Let's see if we can get a Jan 30 repeat this year! Even you did well on that one, right? Turning to sleet really helped lock in the snow cover.

Yeah that storm ended up being decent, although it had many of the same problems we usually face.

I don't believe you can always rely on the goodole' standby "this is the South" so it doesn't snow much. Of course it's relative to each location, but patterns occur. Just because the bulk of your life has probably been shown to have less than 6" or 8" a year, doesn't mean it was always so. The folks who lived through the 60's and 70's were probably a little surprised at how much it snowed. If we'd have a period of several years in a row of say double the "normal" snow, folks would probably take notice. But even beyond that, what if we headed to the late 1800's standards, or the 1500's, when most likely snowfall was a heck of a lot more common than now in the South? And pattern changes occurred quickly. We may be in one now. But yeah there will always be more "threats" than actual bonafide Winter storms. But believe it or not, the day may come in our lifetimes that "getting used to it" may mean more Wintry mess , year after year, after year. Hard to imagine, I know.

I can definitely attest to what you said about the 60's and 70's FoothillsNC. I was born in 1955 and I remember a lot more snow and colder winters back then. I've lived in Greenwood, SC all of my life and we could ALWAYS expect at least one big snowstorm each winter and usually ice storms too. Seems big sleetstorms were more common back then as well. I can associate at least one big snowstorm with every year I was in school from about the 4th grade through the 12th which was 1973, and recall others as well that I can't exactly pinpoint the year. One of those I remember and can't remember the exact year, but I'm pretty sure I was in Jr High School, there was a deep snow that came on a Saturday, and on Sunday morning it had cleared out and was down to 2 degrees that morning. The record low in Greenwood they say was 2 below zero during an ice and snowstorm, but now sure what year that was.

It'd just be nice to have a storm where it actually snows at or below 32 degrees for more than 15 minutes at a time. I have to think back to I think January 2004 for such a storm.

I agree with you on that. I remember back in the 60's and 70's we used to get more snowstorms where the temps were in the 20's. That's the kind I really like as well. I can recall a few back then when the temp would drop down to the low to mid 20's and sometimes even into the upper teens, and I mean during the day too.

Archived