Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
October 29/30 Snowstorm Disco - II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Todd Gutner (sp?) was suggesting up to 12" (or more) near ORH/hills on his radio WBZ thing

And he hardly ever says things like that...

i honestly don't get the conservatism thing at this point out...at least every model is a lock for at least a foot for worcester west (and that, in and of itself, is conservative given 2"+ QPF)

Lol. Seriously considering it. Of course then I need an electrician to make sure I don't burn the place down. 50% oaks here. Loaded with leaves

You are welcome to have any you want for cordwood

You might be able to get an electrician out tomorrow morning though. If you've got the cash, you might want to run out and get a generator, the wiring and gas cans just in case then return the whole lot if you're spared.

Our neighborhood had only the light tree trimming crew come by this summer. The large branch/tree removal trucks never made it due to Irene. Since our power goes out so often, I'm pretty much planning on it. Generator's already full, 7.5 gallons extra.

-monadnocks

He's gonna get smacked. Cold enough, high enough, north enough, west enough (but not too far west or north)

14" for Tubes

Yes, NWS does have a WSW for 6-12" for the Monadnocks. I could see Dobbs doing almost as well in this storm, though. Having 350' of elevation on the NW side of that intense deformation band as the upper lows close off NYC could be a good thing. I'd obviously be nervous about temperatures looking at the 12z GFS, but I still tend to side with the colder Euro and NAM. It looks as if 700mb really tightens up with the trough going negative as the storm approaches NYC, so that could be a sweet spot. I remember in the Boxing Day blizzard, everyone thought the jackpot would be in New England and it ended up in NJ.

Check my pics..Are those Oaks at risk lol?

Look mostly like reds - strong wood but bad branch angles and any narrow forks would be vulnerable to splitting. (And do you have any idea how much consulting foresters charge per hr? jk - and it's chump change compared to computer techs, anyway.)

The only trees near my house still holding many leaves include a 70' red oak (easily the nicest oak on my 80 acre woodlot), and my 3 apple trees. Might have a chance to shake off the apple limbs (assuming they don't shatter during Sat-Sun overnight), but the oak starts branching at about 40' off the ground. Maybe it starts late and dry (for October, anyway) up here? Can hope, anyway.

NW CT and GC up through Socks seems the "best" right now, but it will depend on where local bands set up.

There's probably going to be multiple bands too in this setup...with the 700 low tracking south and staying fairly compact...we will see continuous regeneration of the bands most likely...kind of like 1/12.

Any suggestions on good meteorologists to follow?

BarryWBZ Barry Burbank ddreyeron7 Dylan Dreyer HarveyWCVB Harvey Leonard Henry_Margusity Henry Margusity JoeJoyceWBZ Joe Joyce jreineron7 Jeremy Reiner klemanowicz Kevin Lemanowicz MackWBZ Melissa Mack MattNoyesNECN Matt Noyes MetMikeWCVB Mike Wankum pbouchardon7 Pete Bouchard ryanhanrahan Ryan Hanrahan TerryWBZ Terry Eliasen ToddWBZ Todd Gutner

Okay, the 18z NAM is veering more... We got an 07 at BOS and that is no good at this time of year, whatsoever for snow on the coastal communities.

My personal feeling is that the NAM may be ok with the storm track but that we end up more compact with the thermal gradients - perhas even inside the grid of the NAM.

Those euro weenie maps crush nw CT to TOL and up to Will and socks..points nw. I think best banding potential (just a guess at this point) may be a bit more west, but when everything comes back east...I could see it moving further east and then one last hurrah across ern mass. Maybe secondary max west of coastal front?

That also brings up the idea of any weird subsidence zones, but those are difficult to pin point. I mean, giving the banding, all the warmth and moisture thrown into this....I don't think it's ludicrous to think 15"+ for someone. Potentially. I still can't believe this.

Do you feel that the Monadnocks are in a prime spot for this storm, Will? I notice we're over 1" QPF on the 18z NAM, but it seems as if we might not get quite as much as the NW CT hills and the Berkshires. Do you think the heavy banding will make it this far north as the NAM shows?

As a reference poitn--Albany's forecast for eastern Windham County is calling for 2-4 tomorrow and additioanl 5-10 tomorrow night.

Archived