Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
October 29/30 Snowstorm Disco - II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well there will be some surprises. be interesting to me to see how much qpf gets wasted on the front end. probably more in sne than up here, but we'll see.

That's a good point and will play into totals obviously. I'm happy to see that the call for western Franklin is for "snow likely with a chance of rain in the afternoon". So, I guess they have the odds on having a snow-start or at least minimal rain involvment.

Albany's AFD is a very good read--I expect they will expand their watches this afternoon. Of note, they have this little tidbit:

"WILL TILT MORE TWRD THE GFS AS THE 00UTC ECMWF JOINED THAT CAMP".

Sorry, been away for a while. Getting back up to speed.

Looks like a monster of a storm incoming.

Yes indeedy. By the way--there's a title your supposed to use for this courtesy of Mike's GYX AFD (I think that's where it's from). I think it has something to do with "pumpkin thrasher" or something liek that.

95-96 had an early start....snow in November in Philly. And an early established pattern of coastal storms. We have a late summer early fall pattern of high impact high qpf events. How many of them have been coastals? I know we have had a lot of closed lows coming out of the midwest.

This could be our pattern for a while until we get a midwinter break, then back into it.

Box snowfall map

Can't get 2 inches 2 1 mile east of 95.nice little start to winter for the western areas though.

My enthusiasm will spike if/when Albany honks this afternoon.

HWO

THERE IS A CHANCE OF A MODERATE TO HEAVY ACCUMULATING SNOWFALL ON

SATURDAY. IF CONFIDENCE INCREASES...THEN A WINTER STORM

WATCH. WILL BE ISSUED LATER TODAY

From AFD

THE GFS DUMB GUY SNOW OUTPUT IS 1-4 INCHES NORTH...10-15 IN HIGHER

TRRN OF VT/MA/NY AND 6-8 ON VLY FLOORS. YES THESE ARE WINTER EQ

AND THURSDAYS EVENT IT WAS ADVERTISING 4-8 INCHES AND MOST AREAS

SAW 1-3. ITS NAM COUNTER PART IS MUCH FURTHER SOUTH...WITH 1-2 IN

CATSKILLS AND 8 IN LITCHFIELD

I think I'm the "dumb guy". :arrowhead:

coastal is there truth that GFS has probs accounting for dynamic cooling induced BL cooling

Well the GFS doesn't have as good a resolution as the euro or nam so sometimes it does not account for mesoscale things like dynamic cooling.

But, I don't think you'll see much over se mass. It's just way too early in the season for this. Maybe in the final 3-4 hrs you will. perhaps a slushy inch or two then, but this is late October. Just way too early to have substantial snow down there. Also, the GFS creeping closer is something to think about too. Still good to have the euro on your side, but the fact the even the ensembles are so amped up is interesting.

To the person that asked about Plymouth to Brockton. Brockton over to Easton and Foxboro could see some good accumulations. Plymouth on the water nothing, back towards the airport some slush etc. I'm thinking today we see some of the more outlandish areas fall from the good graces of the models. IE, the areas that would be super duper historic like Plymouth, Brockton etc. IE< the storm gets more west in future runs or something else changes. It's really tough S & E of Boston to Providence this early.

Re Rina. That's the m/l decoupling from the lower levels. The low level center was still over land. What you see on the satellites is the mid level center detaching and moving NE. fairly well predicting but Rina is going to be a factor in later model runs I'd bet. Now that it is coming apart at the seams and the m/l ejecting NE I'm betting whatever influence it has on the east coast we see now in the next 1-2 model runs today.

Archived