• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
October 29/30 Snowstorm Disco - II

Baroclinic Zone

I was thinking that, too. The winds on the SE coast should be phenomenol.

This is gonna fook some places up. We still have 75% oak leaves out at my house 1000 feet up. Add snow (maybe pasty 6-8"? Maybe more?) and decent wind... = trouble.... make that Trouble

There are still a lot of trees with leafs still on here even though we are past peak, I'm thinking power outages are going to be of great concern..

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This will be one of the more dynamic storms we can remember...esp in terms of impact.

I suspect it will be one of the more challenging ones to forecast as well. To what degree (no pun intended) do you anticipate front end rain to impact things? It seems that BOX is expecting it to be a fairly siginficant factor for most areas. What a fun thing for those in ORH/NE CT--anticpation of the change to snow, subsequent paste, and a decent breeze to boot. Shift the focus of that combination to the left of the continuum as you head west and the east as you go right.

Meanwhile, lugged the snowblower to the end of the drive. Will put the barn doors on at lunch. Prep will be done.

33.4/29

There are still a lot of trees with leafs still on here even though we are past peak, I'm thinking power outages are going to be of great concern..

Leaves are no longer an issue here. I think the impact in GC will be limited to whether we can get heavy snow. The winds wil certainly be manageable. I'd feel good from points in western Hampshire County south. North of there expect an enjoyable albeit more modest event. Of cousre, we'll know more in a few hours. :popcorn:

Waking up and looking at the BOX snow map is a huge blow...wow.

Well people have been complaining about them being conservative. If the WFOs were following the strict warning criteria, I figured advisories for all of CT except for maybe the southern southern county zones. Guess they are all using the early season snowfall as a reason to bend the rules a bit as OKX and BOX have mentioned it in their AFDs.

I have a really hard time believing we will get even a couple inches here on the valley floor no matter what the track, while there is a good cool air mass in place, it isnt like dewpoints are going to fall into the teens or anything later today and tonight.

For the record we had some wet snowflakes here in se forest park with no accum and there was always at least a little rain mixed in...but first flakes did fly last night.

I do believe the higher elevations someplace in sne might see one to two feet of snow and that has happened several times before in early and late season events...while the lowlands or valley floors just see a slushy inch or less or just a few mangled flakes. April 87, Oct 87, there was one in the early 90s too. same drill all the time...only the really higher elevations where in some places the amounts were staggering.

Waking up and looking at the BOX snow map is a huge blow...wow.

Toss it.

The weenie in me sees the dynamic flip happening down south even to the mid atlantic, busting all the conservative climo forecasts, and foreshadowing the historic storm as it deepens and heads up to the coast. I don't fault the forecasters for going so conservative since even with 2-5" call it puts it among the top October storms in the last 120 years. I like Will and Ryan's calls from the other thread and think there's good upside for lolli's to 18"+ in the elevated terrain where the best banding sets up. This obviously assumes the NAM/Euro hold their tracks.

I'm just a weenie though so take it FWIW.

I have a really hard time believing we will get even a couple inches here on the valley floor no matter what the track, while there is a good cool air mass in place, it isnt like dewpoints are going to fall into the teens or anything later today and tonight.

For the record we had some wet snowflakes here in se forest park with no accum and there was always at least a little rain mixed in...but first flakes did fly last night.

I do believe the higher elevations someplace in sne might see one to two feet of snow and that has happened several times before in early and late season events...while the lowlands or valley floors just see a slushy inch or less or just a few mangled flakes. April 87, Oct 87, there was one in the early 90s too. same drill all the time...only the really higher elevations where in some places the amounts were staggering.

It flipped last night here in metro boston and nearly immediately started accumulating on cars and non-paved surfaces FWIW at a temp of 33-34 and the rates were not that heavy at all.

Wow, the NAM is tucked in close @ 30h.

Torcha roosky

You're right. It's ugly. .

If you overlay last nights GFS at 0z for the NAM it's a dead ringer. Same exact location. So either the american models are smoking the same crack, or the others will cave west and warmer.

Still looks good for all of those that could expect such an early season snow!

Archived