gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
October 29/30 Snowstorm Disco - II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You want to make love to the 18z NAM and/or the SREFS...

18z NAM has 0.82" QPF for Montpelier and 0.77" for Saint Johnsbury. Those are the two sites closest to you and that would be warning criteria snow in less than 12 hours.

Solid snow growth too with max UVVs spiking through -16C to -20C air.

Thanks. Just trying to learn...using the area I'm in as a tool. I really don't care if we snow or not in Oct, I just wan t to know the MET aspects of it, since I am going to school for it. I can make my own assessments to how much I'll get, I just want to know the MET behind it before I go ahead and forecast.

Thanks. Just trying to learn...using the area I'm in as a tool. I really don't care if we snow or not in Oct, I just wan t to know the MET aspects of it, since I am going to school for it. I can make my own assessments to how much I'll get, I just want to know the MET behind it before I go ahead and forecast.

Well man I'd bet that even if the main part of the show is far from you you'll get some bands. You might not have constant snow but you will most definitely have some strong bands coming through your way. It's hard though, that's a lot more of a nowcast thing usually.

Well man I'd bet that even if the main part of the show is far from you you'll get some bands. You might not have constant snow but you will most definitely have some strong bands coming through your way. It's hard though, that's a lot more of a nowcast thing usually.

Thanks bud. Just wanting to know how others go about it. No hard feelings.

Thanks bud. Just wanting to know how others go about it. No hard feelings.

No it's not like that...I learned the same thing you're learning right now the hard way. Lots of questions of "what will happen here" and all that. I'm only a couple of years older than you, I'm trying to learn too. You can never learn all there is to learn about met. However, when we're in preparation for a storm on here, people just don't like to sift through a lot of IMBY posts. Try to read, try to get the general gist...and PM a met if you want. That's what I've done, and a lot of them actually LOVE helping out (and teaching at the same time). This site is an amazing resource, you just have to figure out how to use it correctly.

:thumbsup:

No it's not like that...I learned the same thing you're learning right now the hard way. Lots of questions of "what will happen here" and all that. I'm only a couple of years older than you, I'm trying to learn too. You can never learn all there is to learn about met. However, when we're in preparation for a storm on here, people just don't like to sift through a lot of IMBY posts. Try to read, try to get the general gist...and PM a met if you want. That's what I've done, and a lot of them actually LOVE helping out (and teaching at the same time). This site is an amazing resource, you just have to figure out how to use it correctly.

So you're back in Harwinton now? If the GFS somehow scores a coup you'll be like ground zero for heavy snow up near 1000'. Even if it doesn't still going to be a solid amount.

Typically some portions of this low track are great for us... getting something to track close to Cape Cod is ideal but you want the storm moving north from there, not ENE like it is progged to. If you can get a low over say Portland, ME you can get excited. In general, the closer you can get it to the SNE mainland, the better and you want it hooking almost due north or negatively tilted like NNW from Cape Cod. That's when we get crushed.

Also if we can get this to creep any further north (doesn't necessarily have to be west, but that's good too) there are some subtle signs of orographic enhancement towards the end of the system when the 850mb winds go NNW with cyclonic moisture in the flow. The models will usually under-estimate QPF when it is aided by orographics. You can see it on the QPF charts and RH/wind fields...

Note the subtle arm of 0.1-0.25" QPF curling around N.VT and down the Spine of the Greens... likely that is our tail end orographic assist where we can get a nice burst of enhanced ratios as the lift happens lower in the atmosphere closer to the -12C isotherm in this case.

gfs_namer_045_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif

Also it can be seen well on the RH maps as that sliver that lingers back across N.VT on a NNW flow.

gfs_namer_045_850_rh_ht.gif

If we can get into the upper 20s with some orographic snow at the tail end, we might do ok as far as totals go... relative to October, not what falls in SNE, haha.

My juju cup hath runeth ova. I may not see any snow out of this but I don't care. Seriously, just sit back and take this all in. Unreal to believe that it is still October and we have what may verify as a "blizzard" for some. I love it! Euro/NAM still gives me some wrap around love but I'm not holding my breath. I'm going to just sit back any enjoy an historical event. :wub:

I drove from Uconn to Torrington today...amazing how many more leaves are still on the trees toward Tolland on 84 all the way through the CT valley. The trees are mostly bare up here but good God...if that part of the state gets even 6" it's going to be a disaster. At least it seems like places which will get more snow also have less leaves, for the most part.

Yup......even at the higher elevations in E CT there are a LOT of leaves on trees.....still some green too. This is gonna be nasty.

Yeah I haven't used the PM a lot..I should. Thanks dude. Best wishes with the snow...! Feet upon feet!

My juju cup hath runeth ova. I may not see any snow out of this but I don't care. Seriously, just sit back and take this all in. Unreal to believe that it is still October and we have what may verify as a "blizzard" for some. I love it! Euro/NAM still gives me some wrap around love but I'm not holding my breath. I'm going to just sit back any enjoy an historical event. :wub:

Not a lot of snow for me either but the wind is going to crank. My buddy from CL&P is saying that they're hoping that the wind will help keep much of the snow/ice off of the trees for the the interior folks.

Just brought in extra wood and will hope cable television stays on for the games tomorrow night! Good luck everybody!

It's regional juju Bob. Not running over at all, in fact, at its highest point ever!! Most of the people on here will see more snow in this one storm than they will see ever again in any October. You will get yours this winter, I promise. You have shared your juju with the rest of us, and the good karma will come back to you!

It's interesting that GFS held steady with a further W warmer track in contrast to NAM/Euro at 48 hours out, and increasingly looks like it will have been the superior model.

Mets correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this happened similarly on the Boxer's Day Blizzard and several other SECS last year.

Euro is not always king, and EE rule is not a guarantee within 48 hrs ---- that being said, let's see the 0Z suites take back those titles!!

Archived