amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
October 29/30 Snowstorm Disco - II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 940
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I normally don't copy and paste these but here's a good one from NWS in Albany.

POWERFUL WINTER LIKE STORM WILL DEVELOP ALONG THE MID ATLANTIC COAST ON SATURDAY AND AFFECT THE REGION THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT AS IT MOVES QUICKLY NORTHEAST. MODELS ARE GENERALLY IN AGREEMENT THAT THIS WILL BE A HISTORIC OCTOBER SNOWSTORM FOR MUCH OF THE REGION. THE HEAVY WET SNOW WILL LIKELY PRODUCE MAJOR TO CATASTROPHIC DAMAGE TO TREES AND POWER LINES IN THE AREAS WHERE WARNINGS HAVE BEEN ISSUED AND EXTENSIVE FOLLIAGE REMAINS ON THE TREES. FOR MANY VALLEY LOCATIONS WINTER STORM WARNINGS HAVE BEEN ISSUED EVEN THOUGH THE 7 INCH SNOW CRITERIA MAY NOT BE MET...BECAUSE OF THE HIGH POTENTIAL FOR DAMAGE TO TREES AND POWER LINES. IN MANY WAYS THIS EVENT WILL BE SIMILAR TO THE OCTOBER 4 1987 STORM...BUT BECAUSE THIS STORM IS OCCURRING MORE THAN THREE WEEKS LATER...TREES ACROSS MANY HIGH TERRAIN AND NORTHERN AREAS HAVE ALREADY LOST THEIR LEAVES...AND THE POTENTIAL FOR TREE DAMAGE AND POWER OUTAGES MAY ACTUALLY BE LESS IN HIGH TERRAIN AREAS THAN IN VALLEY AND SOUTHERN LOCATIONS WHERE MOST OF THE FOLIAGE REMAINS ON THE TREES.

Wow...pretty strong wording from a normally conservative NWS Office. We have about 30-40% of the leaves still on the trees, mostly oaks and Norway maples. I'd imagine the CT and Hudson Valleys still have at least 60-70% of their leaves still on...recipe for disaster!

Wow...pretty strong wording from a normally conservative NWS Office. We have about 30-40% of the leaves still on the trees, mostly oaks and Norway maples. I'd imagine the CT and Hudson Valleys still have at least 60-70% of their leaves still on...recipe for disaster!

Probably more than that to be honest. I barely have any leaves on my yard. Hell some of the trees are completely green!

Its a simple question...wondering how why and it occurs...calm down bro..sorry i want a different outcome than you...I want everyone to get snow, though so..

depends on the dynamics of the storm i guess...compact precip shields can happen, this is not the case though....typically when we have a nor'easter over the bm, NVT, NNH get screwed...when there's an CT river valley runner, I'm in flooding and you're going to be digging out from 2 feet

There's probably going to be multiple bands too in this setup...with the 700 low tracking south and staying fairly compact...we will see continuous regeneration of the bands most likely...kind of like 1/12.

That sounds delicious.

Someone could get a lolli to 18 or perhaps an inch or two more. I agree. Might be near GC.

Nice. All set to hunker down here at the Ranch and watch it pile up. Best thing is it'll be snow on snow. Immediate accumulation.

I was down near Hudson, NY last weekend and I'd say that yor estimate is spot on.

Its a simple question...wondering how why and it occurs...calm down bro..sorry i want a different outcome than you...I want everyone to get snow, though so..

You want to make love to the 18z NAM and/or the SREFS...

18z NAM has 0.82" QPF for Montpelier and 0.77" for Saint Johnsbury. Those are the two sites closest to you and that would be warning criteria snow in less than 12 hours.

Solid snow growth too with max UVVs spiking through -16C to -20C air.

I drove from Uconn to Torrington today...amazing how many more leaves are still on the trees toward Tolland on 84 all the way through the CT valley. The trees are mostly bare up here but good God...if that part of the state gets even 6" it's going to be a disaster. At least it seems like places which will get more snow also have less leaves, for the most part.

Archived