amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
I have an idea - let's start a new talking points thread

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The ensembles actually look similar to 06z, but there seems to be a lot of spread east of BOS. The large spacing of isobars seems to suggest some members like developing the low further se.

GEFS mean is like ACY-PVC. Not bad. Probably some snowy solutions in there for like Litchfield County through the Berkshires.

If it tracks over Cape Cod versus cutting inland over SNE or up Hudson Valley...yeah it would produce snow for most of the interior. But I think it may be another tough jump to get this that far east. I can see a situation where its being a coastal hugger south of us, but it just comes straight north into SNE which would be mostly rain for us and snow for NY State. Hopefully we see it more east than that. Sounds like the Ukie wants to see a bit east.

High res actually shows a track from just a smidge inside Cape May to south of Long Island to halfway between the benchmark and Nantucket-976mb.

The lack of high to the north with the convoluted evolution appears to keep the major snow over Northwest Massachusetts and Eastern NY...but most cash in at some point.

I don't know if you recall this Will, but you and I were discussiong G numerical model scores ...somewhere recently, and it was noted that the UKMET actually as a higher correlation coefficients (i.e. better) than the GFS.

Again, I am beginning to really want to stress that the UKMET is over-coming its own native on-going bias of too much N-S component to its middle range depiction in getting a solution that is coastal-ward.

I don't have a problem with going closer to some of those original GFS notions of 5 days ago or whenever this first came on a radar, for heretofore hammered reasons.

The UKMET consistently has the second best model score wise in the medium range for a couple years now...with the ECMWF 1st, the GFS 3rd, and the GEM 4th.

High res actually shows a track from just a smidge inside Cape May to south of Long Island to halfway between the benchmark and Nantucket-976mb.

The lack of high to the north with the convoluted evolution appears to keep the major snow over Northwest Massachusetts and Eastern NY...but most cash in at some point.

Yeah we need it bombing pretty quick to stay mostly snow over the interior. But I imagine as you said that most eventually go over to a good snow at some point with it passing that lat/lon....the "clipper" really screws us badly in those whole synoptic setup...its strong enough initially to produce a lot of WAA to get rid of our very cold airmass all while producing minimal precip as a reward....then it weakens as it heads east to a point where it has literally no CAA behind it to refresh the airmass before the big low comes in....its a perfect screw job.

Hopefully the track is good enough to try and make up for the marginal airmass.

Yeah we need it bombing pretty quick to stay mostly snow over the interior. But I imagine as you said that most eventually go over to a good snow at some point with it passing that lat/lon....the "clipper" really screws us badly in those whole synoptic setup...its strong enough initially to produce a lot of WAA to get rid of our very cold airmass all while producing minimal precip as a reward....then it weakens as it heads east to a point where it has literally no CAA behind it to refresh the airmass before the big low comes in....its a perfect screw job.

It's certainly a bomb alright. GFS is 975mb over DXR basically lol.

Just gotta get that bomb over FMH or better yet CHH.

It's going to take a lot because we're not getting any help up north but maybe we can thread the needle.

Right even in the UKMET scenario...it doesn't really change over for central Mass and Western CT until the low is about due south of Montauk..when when winds turn more northerly at the surface between 18z Monday and 00z Tuesday. That southeasterly push of warm air early in the storm evolution is pretty strong.

Looking past whatever happens Sunday, it seems models want another storm chance around the 19-21 or so...give or take. Beyond that, I think we may see the Pacific relax a bit and heights rise, allowing for the cold in western Canada to come southeast. The difference between this year and last year, is that we have cold air in western Canada this time around.

It's interesting that people were initially hoping for the clipper to cause more CAA and lower heights in the east, but the weaker/north trend of this first system actaully washes out the -15C 850mb temperatures that are currently in the Northeast.

Right even in the UKMET scenario...it doesn't really change over for central Mass and Western CT until the low is about due south of Montauk..when when winds turn more northerly at the surface between 18z Monday and 00z Tuesday. That southeasterly push of warm air early in the storm evolution is pretty strong.

How much QPF after that point, any idea?

wow...it's slow

Archived