• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Give up on an encore

Typhoon Tip

Big block over western Canada/AK develops, right? That sends in a transient cold shot and snow chance, Will??

Its really just a kink in the flow...W Canada and AK continue to see below avg heights for the most part...though there is a little EPO ridging in the D8-9 time frame. The D6 threat might be a little stronger since there's a much more defined ridge in the center of the country that could help it amplify.

But neither looks overly great right now.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snow cover and depth are missing from your equation, F to you for incomplete.

No, they don't matter - it's how much snowed for the season. That's Meteorology. If you grade any other way it is subjective and therefore, less useful. Which is not to say you can't have your personal druthers of course....

OT but Mike Starr, original bassist for Alice in Chains was found dead today. One of the best bands in recent memory. Too bad.

[media][/media]

It's a sad commentary on the state of popular music that "one of the best bands in recent memory" had their heyday almost 20 years ago.

RIP to the Rock and Roll era.

No, they don't matter - it's how much snowed for the season. That's Meteorology. If you grade any other way it is subjective and therefore, less useful. Which is not to say you can't have your personal druthers of course....

Snow depth days, pure meteorology from a meteorologist Jim Corbin, a meteorologist from Rhode Island, proposed the concept of both snow depth days and the persistence quotient.

http://www.wermenh.com/sdd/index.html

Snow depth days, pure meteorology from a meteorologist Jim Corbin, a meteorologist from Rhode Island, proposed the concept of both snow depth days and the persistence quotient.

http://www.wermenh.com/sdd/index.html

Yeah snow depth and snow depth days are stuff that is easily measured and can be compared.

The whole "grading" of winter though is often subjective. If people have a snow cover fetish over big storms then they might grade winter differently. Same with someone who has a cold fetish over snow. They would love '03-'04.

I personally grade it mostly for the snow and snow pack...temps are a distant 3rd behind those two, though they are someone related to snow pack retention. I also give bonus points for a white Christmas. I cannot stand a brown Christmas.

DJF this year gets an A from me...but I don't stop with DJF. We average more snow in March than we do in December. Its an important month to me and it matters in my book. So I'll wait until we are totally done before the final winter grade. Or the "cold season" grade I should call it if you want to get nitpicky about "meteorological winter".

obs in the nyc thread says it is

Made a new thread for any weenie flakes or winter wx reported over the next 12 hours or so from this system....so we don't turn this one into an obs thread. We'll keep this thread mostly for next weeks threats.

I was wondering if any of that stuff was reaching the ground, but none of it is being reported at the ASOS stations.

It is reaching the ground...I've had a moderate burst. Here is my 11:10 observation from Dobbs Ferry, NY (Southern Westchester):

-SN

35.2/32

coating on cartops...

EDIT: Wind is absolutely roaring here...getting some gusts well over 20mph, especially a few feet off the deck. The woods behind my house are on an exposed mini-plateau at like 400' however, so high winds are always much more noticeable here than downtown.

It is reaching the ground...I've had a moderate burst. Here is my 11:10 observation from Dobbs Ferry, NY (Southern Westchester):

-SN

35.2/32

coating on cartops...

EDIT: Wind is absolutely roaring here...getting some gusts well over 20mph, especially a few feet off the deck. The woods behind my house are on an exposed mini-plateau at like 400' however, so high winds are always much more noticeable here than downtown.

Watch out... those 20mph winds might send some dirt airbourne.. baha ;)

Watch out... those 20mph winds might send some dirt airbourne.. baha ;)

LOL. Maybe I'm exaggerating as I'm in the mood to chat serious weather tonight...Some interesting stuff happening though.

I am just worried about the combination of heavy rain and wind as I'm a delivery driver and have to work tomorrow evening from 6-10pm. Conditions could be pretty miserable if we get 2-3" rain in an already soggy area with winds in the 30mph range, I would assume they pick up a bit from here. I've had a tough time this year as I drive a very small Mazda and roads have been bad from all the snow/ice/rain and now the potholes from near constant salting in January and early February. We had a lot of highway closures on Monday due to flooding, and that would certainly impact my business if it were to repeat tomorrow. Definitely not the greatest situation to be driving in a hurry, but I do what I can to bring in a little extra money besides teaching.

It's coming

I'd like to see it. But the chances imho are quite remote at this point. HOWEVER, if it happens, it would appear that early next week is our chance.

Ensembles...H5 and temps, D5,10,15.

D5 has the temps that would support it

Further out it appears too warm despite the OP runs insanity...

Wish there was more for you to savor from the overnight runs but ...eh, enjoy your face smackages...

Maybe the 12z will turn things around and bring back the fragile shimmer of hope from yesterday's GGEM, added by the ECM tease that maybe that was on to something... all of which was pretty much dashed by the 00z.

The teleconnectors still support that middle latitude "buckle" as described though, so mid month could still get interesting in furture runs.

I go with a 3 grade average method for winter report cards, using DJF. March is an extra-credit month, which can make or break. But the pith of the season's G.P.A. is based DJF. If you get to an A+ by Feb 28/29, it's over. Meteorological winter is where it should count as scientists. If you get a 50% - or F - out of DJF, and then a 30" jaugernaut event takes place in March, then you're grade gets bumped into passing because your dad bought a new wing addition to some hall for the University.

Having said that, I grade for cold and snow, here's the logic.

Temperature:

Warm departure days = +1 pt; cold departure days also = +1 pt. At the end of the month, subtract the warm total from the cool total, divide by the total number of days in that month, then multiply by 100. That is the grade for cold for that given month.

Snow:

Easier, total the given months snow total, divide it by the 30-year average for that month, multiply by 100.

Once you have December, do the same for Jan and Feb. Then sum them up and divide by 3. That is the grade for the winter, with as said, an opportunity to make up with extra-credit in March.

I take the FIT-LWM-BOS-PVD-HFD-PSF for the approximate regional report card, where the above logic is calculated at each site, then the average is taken. For indivuals, just do the same analysis for the point location/site.

This is the fairest way to do it that removes personal insanity biases like ..."I didn't get 200", F!" bullschit. Take it or leave it.

LOL, nice. I definitely value March, but the last few Decembers have been nice.

Wish there was more for you to savor from the overnight runs but ...eh, enjoy your face smackages...

Maybe the 12z will turn things around and bring back the fragile shimmer of hope from yesterday's GGEM, added by the ECM tease that maybe that was on to something... all of which was pretty much dashed by the 00z.

The teleconnectors still support that middle latitude "buckle" as described though, so mid month could still get interesting in furture runs.

Yeah they weren't the greatest, that's for sure. There still may be a couple of opportunities if this one doesn't pan out, but certainly nothing concrete.

Archived