Newest Member
    EWR757
Give up on an encore

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lawn thread time

I still think we'll get a late Mar or early Apr event....we're over due...but who knows. Its starting to look like the 4th consecutive dud March (and April). Its amazing that March has essentially turned into a snowless month the past few years. One of these days climo is going to catch up to it and drop a 40-50" month on us, but it certainly won't be this year.

Next week threat looks pretty dead now...the coastal plain is probably cooked for this season. Hills aren't that far behind.

C'mon. Still way too early to throw in the towel. Way too volatile a time of year. LR modeling leaves a lot to be desired, just because things look played today doesn't mean a threat won't emerge from out of the murck. Keep hope alive.lol

I still think we'll get a late Mar or early Apr event....we're over due...but who knows. Its starting to look like the 4th consecutive dud March (and April). Its amazing that March has essentially turned into a snowless month the past few years. One of these days climo is going to catch up to it and drop a 40-50" month on us, but it certainly won't be this year.

I remember thinking at the end of Feb that 9 inches for 100 YTD would be easy. My thinking was we'd have a few moderate events..Was sure we couldn't have our 4th snowless March in a row..but unless something sneakky sneaky pops up over the next 2 weeks..we're about cooked

Next week threat looks pretty dead now...the coastal plain is probably cooked for this season. Hills aren't that far behind.

Yea, this run of the GFS appears to be going out of its way to bi-pass any potential +PNA related western ridge, and rushes the whole medium back into that -PNA that is showing up beyond mid-month in the means. That's suspect. ....er, unless of course tonight's computation abruptly destroys that 3-5 days worth +PNA. If that happens, the whole amplitude "last chance" idea goes out the door in a heart beat.

Another thing this run does is completely ignores the rather strong ensemble signal for -NAO... Actually, it more precisely situates the whole positive anomaly associated with as an East biased one - big time too... In fact, completely neutralizing the D. Straight critical longitude teleconnector for the OV/NE.

Put simply, it is exactly wrong at all points for us to have any hope. That's about as eerie, as it is unlikely - now watch it succeed :arrowhead:

Yea, this run of the GFS appears to be going out of its way to bi-pass any potential +PNA related western ridge, and rushes the whole medium back into that -PNA that is showing up beyond mid-month in the means. That's suspect. ....er, unless of course tonight's computation abruptly destroys that 3-5 days worth +PNA. If that happens, the whole amplitude "last chance" idea goes out the door in a heart beat.

Another thing this run does is completely ignores the rather strong ensemble signal for -NAO... Actually, it more precisely situates the whole positive anomaly associated with as an East biased one - big time too... In fact, completely neutralizing the D. Straight critical longitude teleconnector for the OV/NE.

Put simply, it is exactly wrong at all points for us to have any hope. That's about as eerie, as it is unlikely - now watch it succeed :arrowhead:

Check out the final 48 hrs of the op run. Watch that be our fate this Spring.

Oh man, was that ever funny.

It's funny because it's true. lol

I believe, however, that springs in La Nina cool ENSO tend to be warmer than normal from the OV to NE.

That may seem oxymoronic comparative to the pattern, and how it is being modeled, but not quite on a deeper analysis. The fact that all those snow events and overall negative temperature departures across that 50 day's worth of winter then giving way to what we have recently had does still kind of fit with that. The difference may very well be that the cool ENSO is attempting to exert at the same time the hemispheric signal is cooler. In otherwords, one plus the other, divide by 2 = blase pattern where it seems muted solutions verify.

One way of looking at it... If I could have my druthers I'd rather it just be 70+ from here on out so there is no maddeningly tedius debate.

Messenger must be slumped over the keyboard, overcome by lawnmower fumes. Open the door Scott.

Endless winter in them thar hills. My highs forecast by the P&C are 55, 51 and 54 the next three days. That'll be three more days at 50+ with zero days of snow since?

Shocked.

Maybe next year...one of these years we'll have a full winter that doesn't end early.

If March fails like last year, it's akin to the Pats going 18-1. arrowheadsmiley.png

Wow, I was thinking that exact same analogy driving back to Greenfield today. The year they went 18 and NO. :rolleyes:

It's hard to buy into the "we're due" for a March snowstorm argument. Climo seems to argue that we are but it is climo based on 100's of years of obs not thousands.

Who knows, maybe it didn't snow in March in New England from 1300 - 1500.

If winter ended early the next 10 years in a row it's difficult to say if that is abnormal or not.

That being said I would probably have to grade the winter a B+ if we have a snow less March. 5 - 6 great weeks sandwiched between 2 poor months can never grade A in my book. Like the Sox winning 100 games and then losing in the first playoff series against the Angels or whoever. That is not a "great season".

Wow, I was thinking that exact same analogy driving back to Greenfield today. The year they went 18 and NO. :rolleyes:

It's hard to buy into the "we're due" for a March snowstorm argument. Climo seems to argue that we are but it is climo based on 100's of years of obs not thousands.

Who knows, maybe it didn't snow in March in New England from 1300 - 1500.

If winter ended early the next 10 years in a row it's difficult to say if that is abnormal or not.

That being said I would probably have to grade the winter a B+ if we have a snow less March. 5 - 6 great weeks sandwiched between 2 poor months can never grade A in my book. Like the Sox winning 100 games and then losing in the first playoff series against the Angels or whoever. That is not a "great season".

I think by climo the last 30-year normals period is meant. And by that argument most places in New England average at least six inches with many over a foot. Of course a lot of that is front loaded especially in southern, coastal, or low elevations of New England, so if you blow the first couple weeks of March you're pretty much screwed. It's not like having a bad first half of December where you can easily make up for it in the last couple weeks of the month.

I remember thinking at the end of Feb that 9 inches for 100 YTD would be easy. My thinking was we'd have a few moderate events..Was sure we couldn't have our 4th snowless March in a row..but unless something sneakky sneaky pops up over the next 2 weeks..we're about cooked

thats the problem ive noticed when it stops snowing in a very snowy pattern.

it really just goes into the ****ter all at once.

in 08-09, we had 80 inches by the end of jan. then the pattern shifted and we picked up about 8 inches in feb-mar-april lol.

never would have guessed based on the mid season totals.

thats the problem ive noticed when it stops snowing in a very snowy pattern.

it really just goes into the ****ter all at once.

in 08-09, we had 80 inches by the end of jan. then the pattern shifted and we picked up about 8 inches in feb-mar-april lol.

never would have guessed based on the mid season totals.

It happens a lot in my experience the last 20 or so years. The only thing that sometimes saves it is a big big low that usually drowns us before breaking up the pattern...and perhaps becoming the 50/50. Otherwise once it seems to roll it's as hard to break out of us as it was to break the snowy pattern in the first place.

Archived