• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Give up on an encore

Typhoon Tip

I'm 34" ahead of last year and managed a peak depth of about 23" greater.

His area is an anomaly though. He got a lucky 10" storm where most people got an 1" and got some elevation storms last year. This year he made out not as well because of being too far north in Jan, and too far south in Feb.

Areas just south of him last year had around 60", and even Will came in under 70".

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe it. The hostas start early and stay late. The snow can actually help plants/grass I think by insulating the ground a bit. I am unused to being in a relative screwzone wrt total snowfall. This area up to SNH usually does quite well.

Not saying its done, but getting late.

I have snow envy of folks in many directions. Boston? WTF?!?

LOL, well it happens...but you can retain it. I'm sure you manage somehow to surpass Logan..or even me.

I can't believe people are still arguing that winter died in early Feb. Winter went back to regular SNE conditions, some warmth, mostly cold, a little snow. We don't live on Jay Peak guys.

35F, cold and cloudy now. Its funny that Messenger claims this to be "seasonable". His average this time of year is mid-upper 40s and his temps is 38 right now, but for sure if it was anything above 50, it would be a torch.

Average high is 45 or 46 here, we hit 42 on a little break in the clouds late morning..it's about 38 now. New Bedford is still 42. Average low is about 27, I hit 29.4 last night just prior to 11 then it warmed. Epic cold.

Yes when it was 55 during the day and 50 at night, that was a different story...not hard to understand.

We don't all live in Worcester either. In the last month how much snow has Providence had, Harftord, falmouth, eastham, Nantucket versus what fell prior to 2/10?

Average high is 45 or 46 here, we hit 42 on a little break in the clouds late morning..it's about 38 now. New Bedford is still 42. Average low is about 27, I hit 29.4 last night just prior to 11 then it warmed. Epic cold.

Yes when it was 55 during the day and 50 at night, that was a different story...not hard to understand.

We don't all live in Worcester either. In the last month how much snow has Providence had, Harftord, falmouth, eastham, Nantucket versus what fell prior to 2/10?

Fair enough. I didn't say epic cold, but if this is seasonable, then Saturday is also seasonable when its 50 and sunny, because both are about 5 on either side of average.

As for the bold, a lot less obviously, lol. Just saying it was nothing abnormal. Slightly above north of Boston and slightly below south of it.

Fair enough. I didn't say epic cold, but if this is seasonable, then Saturday is also seasonable when its 50 and sunny, because both are about 5 on either side of average.

As for the bold, a lot less obviously, lol. Just saying it was nothing abnormal. Slightly above north of Boston and slightly below south of it.

True but keep in mind after midnight it was about 33-34 here the instant the NE winds started. That's not what happened just a few miles to my west as it took longer for it to warm...but the technical low here was 32 right at midnight..high of 42 would actually put it near a positive departure for the day.

If this weekend is 50 and 28 sure...if it's 50-55 during the day and 45 at night, that's a huge positive departure...way different than today.

This from NCEP makes me giggle :

"....AN AMPLIFYING NORTH STREAM SHORTWAVE MAY INTERACT

WITH THIS POTENTIAL SOUTHERN STREAM WAVE BY TUE/D6 NEAR THE SE

COAST OR MAY REMAIN SEPARATE... OR SOMETHING IN BETWEEN....."

That about clears it up for me -

It was a terrible month in Plymouth MA...it was a decent month in the interior...esp from metro west BOS and north of the pike.

Nice to see the Euro and GGEm offer up some nice snow potential early next week,

Euro still is too far south, but the Canadian was nice. The euro did eventually come north, but temps warmed. It's still got the potential look to it..but we need a little work.

It's a classic late season cutoff. H5 closes off to the south, as ridging develops in se Canada. Just classic cutoff right there.

I believe it. The hostas start early and stay late. The snow can actually help plants/grass I think by insulating the ground a bit. I am unused to being in a relative screwzone wrt total snowfall. This area up to SNH usually does quite well.

Not saying its done, but getting late.

I have snow envy of folks in many directions. Boston? WTF?!?

Hey, you're still an eentsy bit ahead of my Maine foothills location. ORH has topped Farmington, Maine snowfall 11 times in 57 yr, so it's not earthshaking, neither is it all that common

Euro still is too far south, but the Canadian was nice. The euro did eventually come north, but temps warmed. It's still got the potential look to it..but we need a little work.

It's a classic late season cutoff. H5 closes off to the south, as ridging develops in se Canada. Just classic cutoff right there.

Yeah even though the Euro is south..the pattern says there's no reason why it should be..no blocking..SE ridge to some degree. it'll be north of that depiction

If it phases more...it would probably draw in colder air (or keep it around) and be further north.

I'm semi-optimistic for this threat. Given that its still 6 days out, a ton of stuff can happen. Its really too bad that this current system is going to screw with the weekend shortwave because that one definitely had some potential if it had room to amplify.

It was a terrible month in Plymouth MA...it was a decent month in the interior...esp from metro west BOS and north of the pike.

I'd consider it a good month here too...just that three week stretch put a damper on things.

It is what it is though...we can't always have storms at our beckoning call. They'll come when they want to come.

If it phases more...it would probably draw in colder air (or keep it around) and be further north.

I'm semi-optimistic for this threat. Given that its still 6 days out, a ton of stuff can happen. Its really too bad that this current system is going to screw with the weekend shortwave because that one definitely had some potential if it had room to amplify.

Yeah this weekend went right into the shredder like you were saying.

I was somewhat intrigued by today's runs. The Canadian would be a dandy..lol. There does seem to be some weenie solutions in the euro ensemble runs. I have 546 height and 576 height contour spaghetti to look at so clearly we are missing 552 or 558 but there are a few to several 546 contour plots near sne. That's pretty intense given the euro op had 552 closed contour down south. We'll see.

I'd consider it a good month here too...just that three week stretch put a damper on things.

It is what it is though...we can't always have storms at our beckoning call. They'll come when they want to come.

I don't get why some are saying it was a good month north of the Pike only. It was an above normal snow month for all of SNE away from the s coast..with wire to wire snow cover and below normal temps...along with several icing events

I don't get why some are saying it was a good month north of the Pike only. It was an above normal snow month for all of SNE away from the s coast..with wire to wire snow cover and below normal...along with several icing events

The final 3 weeks were mostly north of the pike which is the period being debated by some.

Boston had 7.6" of snow and a temp anomaly of -0.3F from Feb 10-28. Thats slightly above avg snow and slightly below normal temps. Its unfortunate we had that terrible torch in the middle...but we knew it was coming from pretty far out.

The final 3 weeks were mostly north of the pike which is the period being debated by some.

Boston had 7.6" of snow and a temp anomaly of -0.3F from Feb 10-28. Thats slightly above avg snow and slightly below normal temps. Its unfortunate we had that terrible torch in the middle...but we knew it was coming from pretty far out.

I had at least 8 inches the 2nd half of the month..and it was a below normal temp pattern. DT couldn't have been more wrong about that. What he was correct about was the extremely snowy pattern shifting to one that was less snowy, but still wintry

Wasn't terrible here at all, just not the epic triumphant return to the brutality of winter that was often heralded for the post 2/18 period. Since then all the prognostications of a return to snowier weather whether it be 3/1 or 3/5 or 3/10 have failed.

The three, now 4-5 week stretch has been tough.

I don't get why some are saying it was a good month north of the Pike only. It was an above normal snow month for all of SNE away from the s coast..with wire to wire snow cover and below normal temps...along with several icing events

I'm thinking the last 30 days have not been above normal, but then again I didn't look, just a hunch that the 2/8 to 3/xx period lacked.

--

Pulled the first tick off the pet. I can't believe they're already out.

You had that nice 4" wet snow on 2/8 as well. The one you took pics of, and it looked like you were in the middle of a fog bank..lol.

Anyways, yeah it was a decent month. Most of the snow was on 2/2, but we had a nice snow to finish it off. The torch sucked, but at least we still had some snow OTG. We had a couple of 1 to 1.5" or mood snows if you will..to help lighten up the spirits. My complaint would be the three week meh stretch that torched a good deal of snow away, but it wasn't a shocker. I think what makes it suck for some...especially those further south..is that we never got back into a snowier pattern.

I'd feel a lot better...even if I had a 3-6" wet snow. That would complete the winter, and I wouldn't be left with somewhat of an empty feeling. I know I have no right to complain about a winter that gave me over 80", but if it were to just basically end on 2/28..then I think you'd understand if people were left hanging.

You had that nice 4" wet snow on 2/8 as well. The one you took pics of, and it looked like you were in the middle of a fog bank..lol.

Anyways, yeah it was a decent month. Most of the snow was on 2/2, but we had a nice snow to finish it off. The torch sucked, but at least we still had some snow OTG. We had a couple of 1 to 1.5" or mood snows if you will..to help lighten up the spirits. My complaint would be the three week meh stretch that torched a good deal of snow away, but it wasn't a shocker. I think what makes it suck for some...especially those further south..is that we never got back into a snowier pattern.

I'd feel a lot better...even if I had a 3-6" wet snow. That would complete the winter, and I wouldn't be left with somewhat of an empty feeling. I know I have no right to complain about a winter that gave me over 80", but if it were to just basically end on 2/28..then I think you'd understand if people were left hanging.

I've said many times that I can't give this winter anything above a B+ unless we get a decent March event. If I was down in CT, I could because their snowfall anomaly is already so high and they had unprecedented snow pack. For here, the snow pack was great but not totally unprecedented and the seasonal total is still only something like 16th.

Yeah that wet snow pasting was nice. That was a nice 4 inch job.

I feel left hanging to a degree in the sense that March has sucked. If we can just get a few light-mod events between now and April 15th that would the cherry on top

Archived