• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Give up on an encore

Typhoon Tip

I've said many times that I can't give this winter anything above a B+ unless we get a decent March event. If I was down in CT, I could because their snowfall anomaly is already so high and they had unprecedented snow pack. For here, the snow pack was great but not totally unprecedented and the seasonal total is still only something like 16th.

I'd still probably give it an A-, but despite the snowfall and snow pack duration...it seems tough to give an A or even an A- when March is a dud. I always feel like March should be a winter month, so if it's crap, then maybe that changes things.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The final 3 weeks were mostly north of the pike which is the period being debated by some.

Boston had 7.6" of snow and a temp anomaly of -0.3F from Feb 10-28. Thats slightly above avg snow and slightly below normal temps. Its unfortunate we had that terrible torch in the middle...but we knew it was coming from pretty far out.

Good characterization.

I have absolutely 0 to complain about, but I realize that there some who do.

I'd still probably give it an A-, but despite the snowfall and snow pack duration...it seems tough to give an A or even an A- when March is a dud. I always feel like March should be a winter month, so if it's crap, then maybe that changes things.

I guess you can argue that we had a good December with snow around Christmas. That's fair, but March is important to me, because this can be an extremely useless month with little to no snow. If March has a great run..then let April be 38F and drizzle..fine by me since I'm satisfied in the snow dept.

Euro ensembles have a decent signal for something in the D10 time frame too...it would likely be a miller B if it panned out. It could end up too far west too, but there's a strong depiction of a clipper type system coming through the lakes that might want to redevelop along the coast.

What was the date of the first snowfall after the NYE NYD torch? Was it Jan 3rd and then we had the two, 4 inch Norlun events..or were the Norlun events the first snowfalls of the NY?

I think the Norluns were the first meaningful snow. Remember the first one, smoked areas down by Southbury. The second one had a nice band that extended from ctrl mass into your area and down by Ginx. That was the one that gave Phil 5" and Scott was driving around the Cape to measure snow.

These are just what if scenarios. I'll be happy even with a nice advisory snow.

Thanks for the reply on the AK question earlier. I'll be primarily in the Chugach and Talkeetna Mtns. Hoping for the perfect combo of stormy days and good flying weather.

It'll be a drag if we're grounded.

I think the Norluns were the first meaningful snow. Remember the first one, smoked areas down by Southbury. The second one had a nice band that extended from ctrl mass into your area and down by Ginx. That was the one that gave Phil 5" and Scott was driving around the Cape to measure snow.

Yeah I couldn't recall if there was one snowfall before the 1st norlun here. I had 4 in each event.

Just trying to figure out how many days i've had of continuous snowcover.

I think the date was Jan 4th or 5th of the first norlun.

So if that's correct..today is 65 days in a row of not seeing the grass..tomorrow will be 66..It will end on Friday I guess :(

The impetus for now peering into next week is that the PNA spike at CDC, and maintenance at CPC is timeing-wise concurrent with ridge genesis out west ...more so then priors, and this may very well be "the emergent" system in the models as discussed.

It may very well also be the last system for this year. Can we make the last hurrah more than a haha?

The impetus for now peering into next week is that the PNA spike at CDC, and maintenance at CPC is timeing-wise concurrent with ridge genesis out west ...more so then priors, and this may very well be "the emergent" system in the models as discussed.

It may very well also be the last system for this year. Can we make the last hurrah more than a haha?

:weenie:

Good characterization.

I have absolutely 0 to complain about, but I realize that there some who do.

It's the freaking weather. If this is what people have to complain about they need to get a life. There's no droughts, the ski resorts had epic years in terms of snow AND business even at Blue Hill..it was a good winter it's just a shame it bailed early again but thats what just about every single forecast I read back in November called for. The thing is most were saying it would end by the end of January...they were just off by a few weeks.

Or picking up my daughter....you'll understand when you have kids...they get a little angry if you make them walk 35 miles home. The gradients on that storm were amazing all around.

It's the freaking weather. If this is what people have to complain about they need to get a life. There's no droughts, the ski resorts had epic years in terms of snow AND business even at Blue Hill..it was a good winter it's just a shame it bailed early again but thats what just about every single forecast I read back in November called for. The thing is most were saying it would end by the end of January...they were just off by a few weeks.

Most people predicted a blowtorch January.

:weenie:

I'm so hungry too... ooph.

There's a small babbling brook that runs by my place ...oh, some 200 foot over yonder. Normally flaps of water tumble over small stones and boulders to a depth of maybe 6" at nomimal flow rates. Right now it is flowing at 6 feet and has come up into the backyard of the dope who bought a house that was completely inundated last year. That place was a flood obvious and should be torn out of there. Anyway, 2" of rain and all that response...

I don't think the area is out of the woods, and if that MA QPF wall gets up here more prolifically we got a major problems. Rememeber, last year's floods did not have the benefit of a 7" liq stowing snow pack over frozen Earth leading in...

Or picking up my daughter....you'll understand when you have kids...they get a little angry if you make them walk 35 miles home. The gradients on that storm were amazing all around.

He's getting a minivan soon!

There's a small babbling brook that runs by my place ...oh, some 200 foot over yonder. Normally flaps of water tumble over small stones and boulders to a depth of maybe 6" at nomimal flow rates. Right now it is flowing at 6 feet and has come up into the backyard of the dope who bought a house that was completely inundated last year. That place was a flood obvious and should be torn out of there. Anyway, 2" of rain and all that response...

I don't think the area is out of the woods, and if that MA QPF wall gets up here more prolifically we got a major problems. Rememeber, last year's floods did not have the benefit of a 7" liq stowing snow pack over frozen Earth leading in...

I am actually using the grill for the first time this season... steak tips FTW

If the Euro was slightly deeper with its phasing, we'd have a blue snow bomb on our hands.

There's some issues that need to be ironed out to get that to happen, but at least its plausible right now.

If the Euro was slightly deeper with its phasing, we'd have a blue snow bomb on our hands.

There's some issues that need to be ironed out to get that to happen, but at least its plausible right now.

R u talking about a different storm, I think Tip is talking about tomorrow

Euro ensembles have a decent signal for something in the D10 time frame too...it would likely be a miller B if it panned out. It could end up too far west too, but there's a strong depiction of a clipper type system coming through the lakes that might want to redevelop along the coast.

Make sure its at least day 11 please. smile.gif

Isn't there a warm period modeled around this time though?

Archived