joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Give up on an encore

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It wasn't just that...2005 went into March.

I've never seen such a deep snowpack persist like I did this year, but it torched away and March will determine the final grade. If March stinks, those two seasons will be tops around here, unless you have a strong snowpack fetish. I can see how it's #2 up your way. I think it also may be #2 in places to my sw..say near Brockton and up through Canton/Sharon..where they got destroyed this year.

:lol:

I'm pretty certain that this year has the record from logest stretch over 2', in my hood.....the longevity of that anomalous a pack was unprecedented in recorded history.

It wasn't just that...2005 went into March.

I've never seen such a deep snowpack persist like I did this year, but it torched away and March will determine the final grade. If March stinks, those two seasons will be tops around here, unless you have a strong snowpack fetish. I can see how it's #2 up your way. I think it also may be #2 in places to my sw..say near Brockton and up through Canton/Sharon..where they got destroyed this year.

I think we're in close competition with 95-96 and 09-10 here; I'm missing the monster event with greatest snowfall of 14.5" this season and we haven't had a great continuity of threats like 95-96, but the impressive winter atmosphere with frigid December/cold+snowy January really improved my mood this year...nice to see a consistent foot plus on the ground, ponds and lakes frozen for two months consistently and have temperatures that actually make it feel harsh and severe. The 82" snowfall in 95-96 here with constant threats every month and one historic blizzard makes it a bit more memorable than 10-11, but I'm reasonably confident this was a better winter than last year. 02-03 and 03-04 are also close calls here for my favorites. If I'd done better in Boxing Day like NJ, I'd rank 10-11 ahead...

:lol:

I'm pretty certain that this year has the record from logest stretch over 2', in my hood.....the longevity of that anomalous a pack was unprecedented in recorded history.

LOL, well it did. Piles are gone. There is no question it's the longest stretch of deep snowpack that I've seen. Dec 20 until just the other day.

LOL, well it did. Piles are gone. There is no question it's the longest stretch of deep snowpack that I've seen. Dec 20 until just the other day.

I still have a few inches.....it's going to torch, eventually.....it's our hood, not vim toot's playhouse.

We are never going to go wall-to-wall deep pack...Will could, but not us.

More like the first three days and it was over. The guys in the other camp continue to hammer home the narrative that February produced slightly above normal snowfall....statistically speaking this is true...but take away the first three days of the month and the last 5 weeks have been horrible. Those two fluff jobs that lacked staying power sucked even for northern areas. And the worst part of all is that for the past 5 weeks there haven't been any viable major threats. The anticipation of tracking a big event is almost as fun as the actual event...but everyone can agree since February 2nd there hasn't been even the threat of a major event and this is why the natives got so wrestless last week and tempers started flaring....As for spring....I remember 1991 and last year as being warmer down here...But even in the warm years it still sucks down here. On warm days if you don't head out here by 11am in the end of march through most of May those cold South breezes really put a damper on everything while temps in the afternoon farther inland and farther north are at times 15-30 degrees warmer.

Actually we did that for only the final 3 weeks of February...if you took the entire month, it was well above avg snowfall. And yes, we did put the caveat in that if you were in SE MA/RI/S CT, it was worse.

I think we're in close competition with 95-96 and 09-10 here; I'm missing the monster event with greatest snowfall of 14.5" this season and we haven't had a great continuity of threats like 95-96, but the impressive winter atmosphere with frigid December/cold+snowy January really improved my mood this year...nice to see a consistent foot plus on the ground, ponds and lakes frozen for two months consistently and have temperatures that actually make it feel harsh and severe. The 82" snowfall in 95-96 here with constant threats every month and one historic blizzard makes it a bit more memorable than 10-11, but I'm reasonably confident this was a better winter than last year. 02-03 and 03-04 are also close calls here for my favorites. If I'd done better in Boxing Day like NJ, I'd rank 10-11 ahead...

Well if we could get something in March, it would go to at least #2. The two blizzards, TSSN, and the best wet snow bomb since 4/1/97 make it one of the most memorable winters around here. I missed 12/26 here, but I think this area was the jackpot believe it or not. We got buried with 6' drifts right in my yard. 1/12 actually verified blizzard at 33F. That's almost unheard of. I wish I didn't have to work during both storms, but I did. It actually may have made me think differently, but I think I'm being pretty objective.

I still have a few inches.....it's going to torch, eventually.....it's our hood, not vim toot's playhouse.

We are never going to go wall-to-wall deep pack...Will could, but not us.

Of course it will. Like I said, I'll wait until winter is over for an official grade. Truncated February and a potential sh*tty March will hurt..no matter the snowpack.

Man the euro is a tease.

Of course it will. Like I said, I'll wait until winter is over for an official grade. Truncated February and a potential sh*tty March will hurt..no matter the snowpack.

Man the euro is a tease.

Feb was a good month in my hood....not epic, but that clipper near month's end really solidified the month.

March blows, so far...yes.

Figures, my seasonal outlook had a good winter mainly because of March, but it ends up as a good winter DESPITE March. :lol:

Man the euro is a tease.

I can see it now high cirrus atop mt Tolland, while DC and ACY get 3-6 of pow pow...............oh the irony, you have to be kidding me with this stuff!!!

Well if we could get something in March, it would go to at least #2. The two blizzards, TSSN, and the best wet snow bomb since 4/1/97 make it one of the most memorable winters around here. I missed 12/26 here, but I think this area was the jackpot believe it or not. We got buried with 6' drifts right in my yard. 1/12 actually verified blizzard at 33F. That's almost unheard of. I wish I didn't have to work during both storms, but I did. It actually may have made me think differently, but I think I'm being pretty objective.

If we can get the threat on the ECM/GFS ENS up the coast as a major storm, this might be the best winter I've ever seen. We'd be approaching 80" on the season with very consistent cold and snowpack from December 26th to late February. Getting 8" in 2/21 definitely helped break up the bad stretch some of you in coastal SNE have endured. It would be basically the equal of 60-61 and 47-48, the two best winters Westchester has ever seen in modern times.

We also verified a blizzard on 12/26 here Snowman.gif

Euro has this storm off HSE....temps should be cold enough after this super clipper moves out with the trough temporarily dipping down from the PV anchored in NE Canada. 12z GFS/GFS ENS have a warm look towards Day 10 as well as Euro, so that may be the last real threat for those without elevation. We need the storm to amplify fast with the cold air retreating however...if it drifts around like the 12z GFS/ECM show verbatim, we'll be moving towards that milder period when it happens.

Feb was a good month in my hood....not epic, but that clipper near month's end really solidified the month.

March blows, so far...yes.

Figures, my seasonal outlook had a good winter mainly because of March, but it ends up as a good winter DESPITE March. :lol:

Yeah the last event saved it. I had an above avg February, but we had that quiet period that torched which was a bummer. It was good, but it was too bad we wasted those three weeks around here.

A few of the GFS ensemble members have a decent snow event here for that D6 system...though some of the timing differs...one of them brings it in a day later. The Euro is pretty close to being something significant...its a little too pinched off to the south but that could easily change given the time frame.

I can't believe people are still arguing that winter died in early Feb. Winter went back to regular SNE conditions, some warmth, mostly cold, a little snow. We don't live on Jay Peak guys.

35F, cold and cloudy now. Its funny that Messenger claims this to be "seasonable". His average this time of year is mid-upper 40s and his temps is 38 right now, but for sure if it was anything above 50, it would be a torch.

I still can't believe I might wind up within 1" of last year's totals. That would be quite the kick in the nuts since I was joking about that a month ago...

Scott, did you lose most of your snowpack with the early Jan torch?

We lost most, but not all of it with that.

C'mon March! You can do it!

We lost a good deal, but still had decent snowpack away from full sun areas. I was bored so I cleaned up around the area..just to get a head start, and there are pieces of crap from December lying around. Old newspapers...parts of my NY party..you name it. What a disaster. There are some green stems from my hosta flush with the ground..ready to come up, believe it or not.

I can't believe people are still arguing that winter died in early Feb. Winter went back to regular SNE conditions, some warmth, mostly cold, a little snow. We don't live on Jay Peak guys.

35F, cold and cloudy now. Its funny that Messenger claims this to be "seasonable". His average this year is mid-upper 40s and his temps is 38 right now, but for sure if it was anything above 50, it would be a torch.

Well in parts of that area..it did. I can agree with that. However, I don't think it applies for areas just to the north. It's all subjective. Of course we weren't gonna keep up that pace that we had in January. We were bound to have a crap period like every other good winter. The question remains..does March come back like all the other good winters? If it doesn't, then you can say winter fell off the cliff after early Feb for most areas.

Edit: but if you have the 2-3' snowpack....that could be debatable.

I still can't believe I might wind up within 1" of last year's totals. That would be quite the kick in the nuts since I was joking about that a month ago...

Scott, did you lose most of your snowpack with the early Jan torch?

We lost most, but not all of it with that.

C'mon March! You can do it!

I'm 34" ahead of last year and managed a peak depth of about 23" greater.

THE MAIN QUESTION FOR THURSDAY WILL BE THE FORM OF THEPRECIPITATION. MODEL SOUNDINGS INDICATE THAT THE AIRMASS SHOULD BECOLD/DRY ENOUGH TO SUPPORT SNOW ACROSS MUCH OF THE INTERIOR FOR ABRIEF TIME. IN FACT...EVEN A BRIEF PERIOD OF LIGHT SNOW IS POSSIBLEALONG THE BOSTON TO PROVIDENCE CORRIDOR. HOWEVER...WITH MARGINALTEMPERATURES AND THE HIGH MARCH SUN ANGLE LITTLE IF ANYACCUMULATIONS ARE EXPECTED ACROSS THE LOWER ELEVATIONS AS INTENSITYDOES NOT LOOK THAT IMPRESSIVE. THE HIGHER TERRAIN OFNORTHWEST/NORTH CENTRAL MA INTO SOUTHERN NH MAY SEE AN INCH OR TWOOF SNOW.

Any snow is good snow?

We lost a good deal, but still had decent snowpack away from full sun areas. I was bored so I cleaned up around the area..just to get a head start, and there are pieces of crap from December lying around. Old newspapers...parts of my NY party..you name it. What a disaster. There are some green stems from my hosta flush with the ground..ready to come up, believe it or not.

I believe it. The hostas start early and stay late. The snow can actually help plants/grass I think by insulating the ground a bit. I am unused to being in a relative screwzone wrt total snowfall. This area up to SNH usually does quite well.

Not saying its done, but getting late.

I have snow envy of folks in many directions. Boston? WTF?!?

Archived