joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Give up on an encore

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well some people were itching for Spring. Here you go.

Deep down I hope for a nice Spring, because I find crappy wx in April and May bothers me more and more. I'm just worried that April and May will not be the nicest wx, that's why a nice and snowy March would be great. By the time April and May comes...it makes for any potential sh*tty weather seem not as bad. Now, we may have to endure a dull and boring March which is completely useless. I just hope April and May are ok..otherwise it will be a long Spring.

We've had some really tough Springs, so perhaps climo throws us a bone and gives us a nice season. Spring 2008 was nice too. Maybe we are due for a stretch of nice Springs for once.

But for now, everyone can let their kids play in the mud, and throw frisbees and ride their bikes with scarfs, hats, and mittens.

?

58 here friday

51 saturday

sounds good to me!:P

South of Anchorage/Alyeska, though; their pattern is being controlled by the dry Aleutian ridge as lows track into the AK/BC coast. Looks good for areas near Juneau in SE AK, pretty cold/clear to the NW.

Just looking at the ensembles, there is a pretty good trough in the area which should trigger some snows. However, it looks like there should be a ridge moving in after St Patty's day.

I still think we somehow scrap together another event btwn now and May, but I honestly don't care whether or not we do....I'd like to, but this winter satisfied me regardless.

shut out in March will detract from the grade a bit, though.

La Nina Marches are really starting to get a bad name :lol:

I know Will is going to be quick to respond with 2001 and 1996, but those were weak Ninas.

I'm sure you can find some good ones, but recent Nina winters have had great beginnings and middles but awful endings.

I'd much rather have early winters starting here pre-Christmas and ending in early March. This one blows because it pretty much ended for big snows 2-3 weeks early to make it anywhere near comparable to 95-96 IMO.

I'm resigned to it. If a fluke happens, great, but it was a good winter.

Currently, It's a raw 36F out with ocean stratocumulus. I hope we don't have another 2 months of this, because it blows.

I've been resigned to it since about 2/10. 39 here...seasonable. We've had plenty of warm days already....a few AoJB normal..no big deal.

Deep down I hope for a nice Spring, because I find crappy wx in April and May bothers me more and more. I'm just worried that April and May will not be the nicest wx, that's why a nice and snowy March would be great. By the time April and May comes...it makes for any potential sh*tty weather seem not as bad. Now, we may have to endure a dull and boring March which is completely useless. I just hope April and May are ok..otherwise it will be a long Spring.

We've had some really tough Springs, so perhaps climo throws us a bone and gives us a nice season. Spring 2008 was nice too. Maybe we are due for a stretch of nice Springs for once.

But for now, everyone can let their kids play in the mud, and throw frisbees and ride their bikes with scarfs, hats, and mittens.

It's funny that those of us on the extreme...I'm heat miser, Skimrg (cold miser) up in the mountains...we're both happy. It's the people in the middle complaining like the three little bears "this ones too cold, this ones too muddy..this one is JUUUUSTT right"..... he's enjoying his cold and as soon as we hit 50-60 without wind we'll be down having fires on the beach. Next ski trip in a week....perfect spring as far as I'm concerned. No mud, no snowbanks...just vegetation starting to wake up.

Winter is over on the CP of SNE. Sucks. Just shoveled pure trash leaves and sand from the remainders of the snowpiles. Gross outside

Winter was over a month ago in the CP aside of a few fluff flukes.

?

58 here friday

51 saturday

sounds good to me!:P

P&C here 45 Thursday, 55 Friday, 51 Sunday, 46 Monday, 43 Tuesday....seems pretty good to me.

The 12z GGEM took a pretty good stride in availing of the PNA ridge potential... now carving out a pretty impressive albeit slow deepener up along the NE Coast ... and it would be a slam dunk snow p-type, too.

fwiw -

Yeah wouldn't that be nice. The GFS does show a low traversing the south, but it's squished to the se. I'm still watching that, but I'd like to see a little more agreement other than the GEM.

I'd much rather have early winters starting here pre-Christmas and ending in early March. This one blows because it pretty much ended for big snows 2-3 weeks early to make it anywhere near comparable to 95-96 IMO.

I've been resigned to it since about 2/10. 39 here...seasonable. We've had plenty of warm days already....a few AoJB normal..no big deal.

It's funny that those of us on the extreme...I'm heat miser, Skimrg (cold miser) up in the mountains...we're both happy. It's the people in the middle complaining like the three little bears "this ones too cold, this ones too muddy..this one is JUUUUSTT right"..... he's enjoying his cold and as soon as we hit 50-60 without wind we'll be down having fires on the beach. Next ski trip in a week....perfect spring as far as I'm concerned. No mud, no snowbanks...just vegetation starting to wake up.

Winter was over a month ago in the CP aside of a few fluff flukes.

P&C here 45 Thursday, 55 Friday, 51 Sunday, 46 Monday, 43 Tuesday....seems pretty good to me.

I like the cold, and I like nice mild conditions. I think even you can agree that cold raw conditions in April and May are not fun. Hopefully we can escape it.

Yeah wouldn't that be nice. The GFS does show a low traversing the south, but it's squished to the se. I'm still watching that, but I'd like to see a little more agreement other than the GEM.

Yeah all the models seem to have some s/w coming into the picture right after the clipper thing brings in the cold...that might be our last chance this season for a significant snow down to the CP. We have a bit of a temporary 50/50 low and N Atl ridge so something to take a look at. GFS sort of squashes it in a zonal flow but we know how these things go at 168 hours.

March is making you so bitter.....it's like you and I have switched personas. lol

Yeah all the models seem to have some s/w coming into the picture right after the clipper thing brings in the cold...that might be our last chance this season for a significant snow down to the CP. We have a bit of a temporary 50/50 low and N Atl ridge so something to take a look at. GFS sort of squashes it in a zonal flow but we know how these things go at 168 hours.

Certainly no shortage of these 1035+ highs...that's for sure.

The Canadian takes a piece of energy and really dives it on the backside of the Midwest trough, thus causing a low to form off the coast. The GFS has this same piece of energy, but just doesn't quite phase it with the s/w over the south. The PV to our northeast also helps keep the flow more zonal overhead.

BOS had double normal snowfall in February.....so dropped down several notches but far from over...exceded most years.

was mainly crap though after the first week....and it's continued to spiral the toilet. We were up near the rim of the pisser a month ago at this time but still swirling....now we're just about out of view.

March is making you so bitter.....it's like you and I have switched personas. lol

It's just useless. If I knew we could have an April and May like folks from NY state on south have..I'd feel fine. I accept some crappy days...that's a given and I'm fine with that, but those days with the BD front stuck over Joe's fanny down in Fairfield..just aren't fun. Hopefully we can limit those days this year.

If we don't see another flake, this will have been my 2nd fav winter......sure, 93 had 9" more and 2005 had 19" more, but the cold\snowpack combo propels this one ahead of them, desite it's relative deficiency with regard to seasonal tally.

I'd still have to rank 1996 ahead, though.....the cold\snowpack combo compensates for alot, but not a 40" defecit and a Feb truncation.

If we don't see another flake, this will have been my 2nd fav winter......sure, 93 had 9" more and 2005 had 19" more, but the cold\snowpack combo propels this one ahead of them, desite it's relative deficiency with regard to seasonal tally.

I'd still have to rank 1996 ahead, though.....the cold snowpack combo compensates for alot, but not a 40" defecit and a Feb truncation,

This would probably be #3 for me. It's very close... extremely close to number 2. '95-'96 and '04-'05 are still tops..even with the torch. This is mainly due to wintry conditions into late season.

I have nothing to show for this winter right now, except for a small patch of snow out back. I had to go back home this morning, and the snow is very patchy and relegated to protected spots, but at least there are some big piles and parts of yards covered.

I'd still have to rank 1996 ahead, though.....the cold\snowpack combo compensates for alot, but not a 40" defecit and a Feb truncation,

This wnter had the consistent deep snowpack that previous great winters lacked...but 1993-1994, 1995-1996, and 2004-2005 had a never ending parade of events to track that made it a lot of fun. This winter had a great 6 week run, but it was only an event per week. In these previous winters there were a lot of torches and not many snow pack preserving wet snow bombs, but the volume of events made these winters more fun to track than this one.

This would probably be #3 for me. It's very close... extremely close to number 2. '95-'96 and '04-'05 are still tops..even with the torch. This is mainly due to wintry conditions into late season.

I have nothing to show for this winter right now, except for a small patch of snow out back. I had to go back home this morning, and the snow is very patchy and relegated to protected spots, but at least there are some big piles and parts of yards covered.

Everyone has their slight nuances with respect to grading......that epic one month period really satiated my fetish.

2005 was more impressive where you were, so I can understand.

The only thing that this winter is missing relative to mby is a true, blue snow-bomb....haven't had a real, heavy, wet dump.

I even finally managed some glaze towards the end of Feb....

I had two legit blizzards with one blue tip bomb, so that to me is extremely impressive. TSSN too.

This wnter had the consistent deep snowpack that previous great winters lacked...but 1993-1994, 1995-1996, and 2004-2005 had a never ending parade of events to track that made it a lot of fun. This winter had a great 6 week run, but it was only an event per week. In these previous winters there were a lot of torches and not many snow pack preserving wet snow bombs, but the volume of events made these winters more fun to track than this one.

You're more in the Kev school of thought...I'd rather amass an epic pack.

Everyone has their slight nuances with respect to grading......that epic one month period really satiated my fetish.

2005 was more impressive where you were, so I can understand.

It wasn't just that...2005 went into March.

I've never seen such a deep snowpack persist like I did this year, but it torched away and March will determine the final grade. If March stinks, those two seasons will be tops around here, unless you have a strong snowpack fetish. I can see how it's #2 up your way. I think it also may be #2 in places to my sw..say near Brockton and up through Canton/Sharon..where they got destroyed this year.

was mainly crap though after the first week....and it's continued to spiral the toilet. We were up near the rim of the pisser a month ago at this time but still swirling....now we're just about out of view.

More like the first three days and it was over. The guys in the other camp continue to hammer home the narrative that February produced slightly above normal snowfall....statistically speaking this is true...but take away the first three days of the month and the last 5 weeks have been horrible. Those two fluff jobs that lacked staying power sucked even for northern areas. And the worst part of all is that for the past 5 weeks there haven't been any viable major threats. The anticipation of tracking a big event is almost as fun as the actual event...but everyone can agree since February 2nd there hasn't been even the threat of a major event and this is why the natives got so wrestless last week and tempers started flaring....As for spring....I remember 1991 and last year as being warmer down here...But even in the warm years it still sucks down here. On warm days if you don't head out here by 11am in the end of march through most of May those cold South breezes really put a damper on everything while temps in the afternoon farther inland and farther north are at times 15-30 degrees warmer.

Archived