joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Give up on an encore

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't catch a break..Hopefully enough moisture to squeeze out 1-3 as we get closer.

Maybe the Baby Ruth in the pool won't rob all the moisture

I do have a bit more hope for after that storm. The time frame near or just before St. Pattys day could be interesting.

The system after this weekend flizzard threat has some opportunity to amplify into a decent threat. Verbatim right now its a bit too suppressed on a lot of guidance. But there should be some ample cold air in place and hopefully we can get that shortwave to amplify into it enough.

Found this map on accuweather

May 1977

Looks low for my area (where I grew up in Foxboro) but probably right

Then there was a heat wave around the 22nd of that month...

That was a fascinating event. The NAO was east based but popped west, and thus forced a closed SPV to form over James Bay. This sent a moderately intense cfropa off the Eastern Seaboard. But then the NAO continued to retrograde and the JB vortex then was pushed SE through Ontario... It sagged down over New England and intensified some, because of feed-back from cyclogenesis... Which actually was fairly impressive at 990mb as it pass between CC and the BM. The storm was a slow mover... Anyway, this vortex was very cold aloft - kind of obscene for that time of year actually. It didn't take much fall rates to punch wicked chill right down to sea level.

Then there was a heat wave around the 22nd of that month...

That was a fascinating event. The NAO was east based but popped west, and thus forced a closed SPV to form over James Bay. This sent a moderately intense cfropa off the Eastern Seaboard. But then the NAO continued to retrograde and the JB vortex then was pushed SE through Ontario... It sagged down over New England and intensified some, because of feed-back from cyclogenesis... Which actually was fairly impressive at 990mb as it pass between CC and the BM. The storm was a slow mover... Anyway, this vortex was very cold aloft - kind of obscene for that time of year actually. It didn't take much fall rates to punch wicked chill right down to sea level.

I think 850 temps once the ULL got directly overhead were down to about -8C. Pretty ridiculous for May.

The interesting part about that storm was that further north away from the good dynamics and cold pool aloft, it rained. You had the coastal plain of MA getting crushed under 8-10" of cement while Concord, NH got 1.3" of rain with only a trace of snow reported.

I think 850 temps once the ULL got directly overhead were down to about -8C. Pretty ridiculous for May.

The interesting part about that storm was that further north away from the good dynamics and cold pool aloft, it rained. You had the coastal plain of MA getting crushed under 8-10" of cement while Concord, NH got 1.3" of rain with only a trace of snow reported.

Yeah...good thing I wasn't alive yet to experience that disaster. ;)

May 2002 is my only experience with accumulating May snows. Even though the totals were much lower it was impressive in that it happened 2/3 into the month.

Yea .. almost a suggestion there that it was the collocation of the cold pool with the QP that was the trick.

On May 22nd 2002 I had noodles in Waltham Mass. The wind would blow in guet and then sheets of them would come down, only to flip back to cold rain when the wind wasn't gusting - kind of like what you described just prior to the '92 event up there in the hills. Alas, it never made the conversion, but I did hear that it was more substantial W of 95

Yea .. almost a suggestion there that it was the collocation of the cold pool with the QP that was the trick.

On May 22nd 2002 I had noodles in Waltham Mass. The wind would blow in guet and then sheets of them would come down, only to flip back to cold rain when the wind wasn't gusting - kind of like what you described just prior to the '92 event up there in the hills. Alas, it never made the conversion, but I did hear that it was more substantial W of 95

It was May 18th actually....but yeah, incredible for so late. Its not like it was May 1st even. The snow was accumulating in the daylight hours here. Between about 9am and noontime we picked up an inch or so. Temp never got below freezing though. 33F was as low as it got.

Bring on last March. At least it was relatively warm when it wasn't a monsoon. The way it is looking this year, we get to look forward to 2+ months of cut-off lows, Easterly winds, temps in the low 40s, and a general lack of sunshine. The flooding was pretty damn impressive as well last year. Winter is over in these parts until December. Enjoy the remainder of winter for you folks in the distant NW hinterlands. Gonna be a heavy mud season.

It could be worse. Last year at this time we were mired ina stretch of 50's and widespread 60's everyday. The high was 59 at BDL a yr ago. We had already seen our last flake, lawns were greening up, and buds were swelling on trees like swollen weenies

That week fo warmth was horrific. Its what ultimately cost us a HECS on Mar 14-15th when we got 4 inches of rain at 34F and 850 temps of +0.7C

LOL...you will never get over that one. what a bitter pill to swallow that disaster was

At least in the days leading up to it, it was 51F instead of 44F...really made all the outdoor activities much nicer...so it was worth it.

At least in the days leading up to it, it was 51F instead of 44F...really made all the outdoor activities much nicer...so it was worth it.

Yup the extra 7 degrees enabled the sun worshippers to get a few extra minutes of tube top tan lines..their tans were just a little bit darker..esp on the shoulder and upper arm areas

Yup the extra 7 degrees enabled the sun worshippers to get a few extra minutes of tube top tan lines..their tans were just a little bit darker..esp on the shoulder and upper arm areas

Hopefully we can get some 60F days in mid month and then a 35F rainstorm right after. Makes for great BBQ weather and sitting by the pool

Yeah...good thing I wasn't alive yet to experience that disaster. ;)

May 2002 is my only experience with accumulating May snows. Even though the totals were much lower it was impressive in that it happened 2/3 into the month.

Yeah that would be horrible...getting over an inch of rain while south of you is getting a blue snow bomb. :lol:

Kind of like what we went through last February with the retro storm that was giving NY and NJ huge snows and we were 40F and driving rain.

We may have to watch out for a period of freezing drizzle or light freezing rain thursday morning over the interior...could start as some snow too but unlikely enough for any accumulation...maybe an inch in northern spots near S NH.

Archived