• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Give up on an encore

Typhoon Tip

me and my dad went out for breakfast that day and everyone was talking about it and could not believe it we had a solid coating here in the valley now thats insane for april 18 nevermind it being may 18th probley will never see that again :snowman:

It was May 18th actually....but yeah, incredible for so late. Its not like it was May 1st even. The snow was accumulating in the daylight hours here. Between about 9am and noontime we picked up an inch or so. Temp never got below freezing though. 33F was as low as it got.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Big big spring.

I can't wait to see a non-windy 70 degrees

As much as I love winter and snow, last spring was amazing (other than the devastating flooding).

We were looking at pics from last April (early) and were shocked at how green everything was even up in the craggy peaks of N ORH county.

Very unusual. Most years there is either snow on the ground or at least flattened, dead brown grass and twigs.

Still 8" of snow OTG at my house

As much as I love winter and snow, last spring was amazing (other than the devastating flooding).

We were looking at pics from last April (early) and were shocked at how green everything was even up in the craggy peaks of N ORH county.

Very unusual. Most years there is either snow on the ground or at least flattened, dead brown grass and twigs.

Still 8" of snow OTG at my house

Last spring was extremely rare. I've never seen anything close to that.

Still one straggly pile left here with a patch of snow out back. Everything looks dead and sh*tty. Ugly. My folks still have snow in their yard somehow..lol. Tolland of the south shore.

How much have they received for totals?

Maybe 66" or so?? I had over 81" and almost nothing to show. Go figure. Being somewhat protected and some of those radiational cooling nights may have helped. That, and almost every snow event was wet. 5-6" of wet snow vs 8" of fluff probably takes longer to melt.

Last spring was extremely rare. I've never seen anything close to that.

Still one straggly pile left here with a patch of snow out back. Everything looks dead and sh*tty. Ugly. My folks still have snow in their yard somehow..lol. Tolland of the south shore.

It certainly was rare, but ... the spring of 1999 (I believe it was) was outrageous and very like that where I lived at the time, Waltham Mass. It might have been 2000, though. Anyway, we had days in the 90's in April that year as well.

Spring '98??

Yeah, it was one those, 98 through 2001... Anyway, I recall on April 26th it was like in the mid 90s at the tennis courts with my buddies after work, and remarking in my mind how amazing that was... What really made it over the top is that a backdoor boundary came through while we were there, and the temp only fell 10F. It was just hell bent on being a hot spring at any imaginable means. Other years it seems if you even suggest an excuse to drill a BD boundary through, you can't get summer for another month!

I think 1998 was an El Nino winter leading, right... Last year...wasnt' that warm ENSO leading, too??

It certainly was rare, but ... the spring of 1999 (I believe it was) was outrageous and very like that where I lived at the time, Waltham Mass. It might have been 2000, though. Anyway, we had days in the 90's in April that year as well.

Both 1999 and 2010 had early warmth and subsequent budbreak, then a hard freeze IMBY during the 2nd week of May. 2010 was both warmer (early) and colder (May freeze, 22F vs 25 in '99), but in both years all the new growth on oak and ash got toasted and the trees had to set a new crop of buds/leaves. 2010 fried a few maples as well, and destroyed about 99% of my apple blossoms - 3 trees, 6 apples, phooey! One year of such shenanigans is hard on the trees, 2-3 can kill the weaker ones. (And 1999 killed a peach tree I'd purchased/planted a week earlier. The one planted in 1998 survived until all the -20s in Jan-Mar 2003 took it out.)

Yeah, it was one those, 98 through 2001... Anyway, I recall on April 26th it was like in the mid 90s at the tennis courts with my buddies after work, and remarking in my mind how amazing that was... What really made it over the top is that a backdoor boundary came through while we were there, and the temp only fell 10F. It was just hell bent on being a hot spring at any imaginable means. Other years it seems if you even suggest an excuse to drill a BD boundary through, you can't get summer for another month!

I think 1998 was an El Nino winter leading, right... Last year...wasnt' that warm ENSO leading, too??

Yep, El Nino winter leading right into a Nina.

I still think we somehow scrap together another event btwn now and May, but I honestly don't care whether or not we do....I'd like to, but this winter satisfied me regardless.

shut out in March will detract from the grade a bit, though.

La Nina Marches are really starting to get a bad name :lol:

I know Will is going to be quick to respond with 2001 and 1996, but those were weak Ninas.

I'm sure you can find some good ones, but recent Nina winters have had great beginnings and middles but awful endings.

I still think we somehow scrap together another event btwn now and May, but I honestly don't care whether or not we do....I'd like to, but this winter satisfied me regardless.

shut out in May will detract from the grade a bit, though.

I'm resigned to it. If a fluke happens, great, but it was a good winter.

Currently, It's a raw 36F out with ocean stratocumulus. I hope we don't have another 2 months of this, because it blows.

I'm resigned to it. If a fluke happens, great, but it was a good winter.

Currently, It's a raw 36F out with ocean stratocumulus. I hope we don't have another 2 months of this, because it blows.

Nasty wind and dank here at 2k. Wall to wall snowpack albeit a bit stale. Ice fisherman out on the lake. Decidedly Winter-like.

Why would you hope so...

Well some people were itching for Spring. Here you go.

Deep down I hope for a nice Spring, because I find crappy wx in April and May bothers me more and more. I'm just worried that April and May will not be the nicest wx, that's why a nice and snowy March would be great. By the time April and May comes...it makes for any potential sh*tty weather seem not as bad. Now, we may have to endure a dull and boring March which is completely useless. I just hope April and May are ok..otherwise it will be a long Spring.

We've had some really tough Springs, so perhaps climo throws us a bone and gives us a nice season. Spring 2008 was nice too. Maybe we are due for a stretch of nice Springs for once.

But for now, everyone can let their kids play in the mud, and throw frisbees and ride their bikes with scarfs, hats, and mittens.

Archived