Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Give up on an encore

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Temps giving the groomers some headaches...

What's your thought on SR the last weekend in March? Good spring skiing or too late?

The big factor in late March is surface conditions.. There will still be plenty of snow, but once the freeze/thaw kicks in it either needs to be mild to soften the snow, or have natural snowfall to return to winter conditions or else you're looking at hardpack.

Cold nights in the 10's and 20's and mild sunny days in the 40's make me happy.

One nice thing about SR specifically is they have slopes on many exposures and elevations, so you have a better chance of finding good conditions there.

nice...triple bunner. LOL

i know. but it's the truth. especially with the winter. refuse to go down to the islands or whatnot during the winter. the chances of missing something are very low but the chances of missing something in the fall or spring are much lower. LOL.

I don't think going to the islands would cause you to miss a cane, but I suppose that you'd like to hunker down at your own pad.

I'm sure we'll see measurable snowfall again away from the immediate coast, but I'm starting to worry now that it will just be a garbage 2" of slop or something rather than a more robust event. We probably have about 4 weeks left to realistically expect a 6" snowfall...with odds decreasing steadily over that span....but they really drop off a cliff after the first week of April.

When will you be in full worry mode, June?

The big factor in late March is surface conditions.. There will still be plenty of snow, but once the freeze/thaw kicks in it either needs to be mild to soften the snow, or have natural snowfall to return to winter conditions or else you're looking at hardpack.

The only big question left in my mind is what the rest of March brings ski country. A few days/weeks ago I thought for sure they would be fine. I'm starting to have some concerns now.

The only big question left in my mind is what the rest of March brings ski country. A few days/weeks ago I thought for sure they would be fine. I'm starting to have some concerns now.

Let's hope the huge base saves them. Vermont may very well end up being the place to go for good late season (Killington / Okemo northward. ) although I never discount Sugarloaf / Saddleback in Maine. Guarantee Suagarloaf has the most terrain open come mid April.

Just too far for me to go from here.

When will you be in full worry mode, June?

Yeah, but remember that you are talking about several feet of man-made snowpack. It can take an incredible amount of abuse compared to the natural stuff. Even it's a complete disaster non-stop this month they'll be covered still at the end of it.

Temps giving the groomers some headaches...

What's your thought on SR the last weekend in March? Good spring skiing or too late?

I go the week before every year but have gone multiple times in April, they are the best at snow harvesting. Been there when 6 inches of rain fell and the next day things were awesome. Highly recommend it.

:lol:

he only complains about busted flood warnings and the creation of sub-forums.

:lol: True.....I only saw him flip that one timem when he was drugged out and got heated over sw RI flooding, last spring.

:lol: well there was also that time that he made like 17 threads one morning just to be an azz.

:lol: He was making fun of me because I was campaining for a seperate LES\upslope thread.

True dat

What in the hell is that? The chair where you get your haircuts once a year?

Kevin, carpenters refer to those as SAWHORSES. That is a rough PLANK that is resting on them. (think of the scene in Trading Places when the Dukes are teaching Valentine about the stock market, that's the tone I have with you right now)lol

Kevin, carpenters refer to those as SAWHORSES. That is a rough PLANK that is resting on them. (think of the scene in Trading Places when the Dukes are teaching Valentine about the stock market, that's the tone I have with you right now)lol

He is too young to know that movie.

LOL at the bolded... but those are fugly sawhorses

What do you have otg?

The fog is mega thick here tonight and over in Gardner it is drive by feel

Let's hope the huge base saves them. Vermont may very well end up being the place to go for good late season (Killington / Okemo northward. ) although I never discount Sugarloaf / Saddleback in Maine. Guarantee Suagarloaf has the most terrain open come mid April.

Just too far for me to go from here.

Where is Saddleback?

I dunno, I'll probably check the RUC in a couple weeks.

Boreas, the RUC could show the sun going super nova and you'd still see a snow threat at days 6-10.

Yeah, but remember that you are talking about several feet of man-made snowpack. It can take an incredible amount of abuse compared to the natural stuff. Even it's a complete disaster non-stop this month they'll be covered still at the end of it.

Very true.

I go the week before every year but have gone multiple times in April, they are the best at snow harvesting. Been there when 6 inches of rain fell and the next day things were awesome. Highly recommend it.

I think they do some fun stuff in April too. I loved skiing the mashed potatoes Saturday at Bretton.

Goes to show how pandy dandy some are here that they don't know what a sawhorse is...ROFL.

Rangely

66 trails, 2000' vert

Decent mountain (went once a million hears ago)

No kidding, never heard of it. Looks like about an hour from SR?

---

It's heading to 3/11, since 2/2 in Boston only about 8.3 or so inches has fallen. 5.3" of that came in a single day. That's roughly 3" scattered over 35+ days.....ouch.

Like that storm you said you could never see dropping more than an inch that gave us all a white christmas? You're the median strip of weather...right in the middle of the road, non-committal until even Helen Keller can see what's coming.

Hey we all have busts...I just normally choose not to act like a total A-hole about it like you do.

If we got a dollar for every storm that you tried to turn into a SE MA jackpot, we'd have no need for a donation drive on here.

I'm also not the one who decided to insult the personal life of a professional met because he was posting on a meteorology forum...on a week night no less. What a novel concept! Then insulting him for taking pictures of snow pack when you were the one who drove halfway around Cape Cod after Phil posted pics of a busted snowfall forecast.

:lol:

I'm just poking fun, nothing else to talk about unless we want to discuss winds.

It is interesting to me though how people accept things at different times. Kev's come full way around and sees this for what it is....he'll be lucky to get an event that gets him to 100"....some saw this a month ago, some a few weeks ago, some last week, some still not yet.

I hope we have one last big event left, but it's a real reach at this point. Maybe next week.

I'm just poking fun, nothing else to talk about unless we want to discuss winds.

It is interesting to me though how people accept things at different times. Kev's come full way around and sees this for what it is....he'll be lucky to get an event that gets him to 100"....some saw this a month ago, some a few weeks ago, some last week, some still not yet.

I hope we have one last big event left, but it's a real reach at this point. Maybe next week.

Well, my thoughts regarding March haven't worked out and I admit that.....no equivocating or dodging the issue.

I still think we see another event, though.....maybe not you, but....

Hey we all have busts...I just normally choose not to act like a total A-hole about it like you do.

If we got a dollar for every storm that you tried to turn into a SE MA jackpot, we'd have no need for a donation drive on here.

I'm also not the one who decided to insult the personal life of a professional met because he was posting on a meteorology forum...on a week night no less. What a novel concept! Then insulting him for taking pictures of snow pack when you were the one who drove halfway around Cape Cod after Phil posted pics of a busted snowfall forecast.

Nobody insulted you Will it was like 2am in the morning and I thought for the most part it was understood it was a classic late night moment. One I rarely participate in. If you thought that was the case why didn't you PM or just delete it? I specifically told you in December if I wrote something that came across the wrong way to dump it first ask questions later.

You love to rag on people in your own little way, but hate it when it's done to you. Don't hide behind the red tag as some immunity clause to getting it back once in a blue moon from me. Nothing I said in the last hour here should have precipitated any of this....it was all in good humor and I thought that was pretty clear. You were the one that made the comment about storms 500 miles offshore, don't act like a baby because I turned it around on you in jest.

Archived