joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 31-February 2 Historic Winter Storm part 9

MidwestChaser

• Replies 974
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Things have really really picked up on the west side of Joliet. Visibility is less than 300 feet. Windows are shaking big time. The dog is having a blast. Of course, she's 16" tall at the shoulders so I don't know how much longer that will last LOL.

I have near-the fence drifts in excess of 18" already and that was an hour ago. We had trace-2" on the ground depending on the spot before this started.

First post here, I'm an air traffic controller at TOL and we in the last hour had a PIREP from an aircraft at 9000' over Hillsdale MI reporting a temp of 5C/41F. Is that warmth farther north than forecast?

Hello TolWx28....I am an observer at DTW....per bufkit at your station at 9000 ft temp should be -4.1C so yes much warmer.

No way you'll make it through this storm sober?

Just kidding. Enjoy it BowMe. :thumbsup:

Yeah this is a storm where staying sober is a must.. Going to have to go out every 3 or 4 hrs and attack the drive and sidewalk or it will just be silly tomorrow.

Thanks, Bro.. I'm really sad You and Hoosier are not getting this as all snow.. You guys bring so much to the board and deserve it way more than me.

Its funny I'll probably have less snowpack in a few areas that had a even 7-8" before the storm.. I can't stand wind during snow - Yea, I know, poor me.

Im this blizzard, how do you measure? You just try your best not to over or underdo it. A snowboard is useless, not to mention there is all the old snow on the ground. I took some extra precautions for trying to get as accurate a measurment as possible by clearing extra spots, but its really going to be hard for all in this storm!

Josh, I put an extra snowboard out so I have extra spots to take my measurements. I figure increasing the sample size will increase the accuracy. Do you think my efforts are futile?

Im this blizzard, how do you measure? You just try your best not to over or underdo it. A snowboard is useless, not to mention there is all the old snow on the ground. I took some extra precautions for trying to get as accurate a measurment as possible by clearing extra spots, but its really going to be hard for all in this storm!

I would just pick 6 spots and average the amounts. DTX will know the amounts may be higher if not for the wind.

One thing I'm noticing is the flake size is pretty small, even when we had the heavier snows. Hopefully these bands about to rotate up thru here will start increasing flake size or we might have some trouble making the middle of the road NWS accumulations. That said, I hope its on my point and click is 17-22" total. I do believe the QC will be in an area that see some of the heaviest totals. The pivot point is going to be very near or over us I think.

For folks worrying about the dry radar hole it should fill in quick--it does seem the PV max is continuing to deepen with continued height falls as it propagates eastward. With that dry mid-level region I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes unstable and rapidly fills in with convection as height continue to fall aloft. You can see that beginning to show on WV.

Yeah this is a storm where staying sober is a must.. Going to have to go out every 3 or 4 hrs and attack the drive and sidewalk or it will just be silly tomorrow.

Thanks, Bro.. I'm really sad You and Hoosier are not getting this as all snow.. You guys bring so much to the board and deserve it way more than me.

Its funny I'll probably have less snowpack in a few areas that had a even 7-8" before the storm.. I can't stand wind during snow - Yea, I know, poor me.

Nah dude, you deserve it just as much anyone else does. Except for a few on here. :whistle::lol:

Hoosier and I will be cool. It's an epic sleet storm...like none other I've ever seen personally. Take care, enjoy, and make sure to take pics and post 'em. :thumbsup:

Basically a whiteout in the gust and its not even really snowing all that much. No way they're going to keep some roads open. No way they're going to see when it really starts snowing.

Can you confirm that the northeast half of the county is a snow hole right now? I'm looking at the NWS Doppler Radar, and we are in the dark blue shading, while west of us is the heavier green shading. I'm not sure it is even snowing here, as all the snow in the air is the already fallen snow being blown around.

0530 PM SNOW 2 SW NORTH WEBSTER 41.31N 85.72W

02/01/2011 M4.7 INCH KOSCIUSKO IN NWS EMPLOYEE

4.7 INCHES IS STORM TOTAL SO FAR WITH 2.7 INCHES

FALLING THIS AFTERNOON THROUGH 530PM. MODERATE SNOW

FALLING WITH BLOWING AND DRIFTING.

0614 PM SNOW SOUTH BEND 41.68N 86.25W

02/01/2011 M4.0 INCH ST. JOSEPH IN TRAINED SPOTTER

4.0 INCHES OF NEW SNOW OVER THE PAST 2 HOURS. SNOW IS

BLOWING AND DRIFTING.

For folks worrying about the dry radar hole it should fill in quick--it does seem the PV max is continuing to deepen with continued height falls as it propagates eastward. With that dry mid-level region I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes unstable and rapidly fills in with convection as height continue to fall aloft. You can see that beginning to show on WV.

I was about to say that it appears this dry slot will destroy snow totals for up here... :(

Archived