Newest Member
    joxey
January 31-February 2 Historic Winter Storm part 9

MidwestChaser

• Replies 974
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Evidence of the warm air moving on up..

520 PM...More and more reports of sleet changing over to freezing rain over the central sections of the area. We expect this trend to continue. Moderate to heavy freezing rain expected. The warm air has moved into the southern sections with temperatures at or above freezing from Lawrenceville Illinois to Seymour Indiana.

I'm guessing they like the Woodstock-Sarnia corridor because the flat terrain will make it ideal grounds for blowing snow. But then the question is, why not upgrade Huron, Perth, and maybe Waterloo as well. Hamilton/Niagara got included because of the big amounts they're forecasting there, although they likely won't verify.

btw, where did you get the text of the warning like you posted in the other thread?

Snowstormcanuck, I did see the blizzard warning for Hamilton. It’s funny how that word conjures up images of the storms from the late 70s. I understand Environment Canada changed the requirements though. It looks like you only need 4 hours of 40KM winds with visibility less than 400 meters to acheive the warning. That criteria is way easier to achieve, I don’t think these warnings will be quite so rare in the future. I hope they don’t lose their mystique. Anyway I’ll enjoy the warning for now, hopefully the storm doesn’t bust, especially with the increase expectations. The last time I checked the high res models were still pushing 12"+ snows. Hopefully the dry slot does not cut into those totals too much. I think the winds will make or break this storm. A 10” to 12” snowfall is a completely different beast when accompanied with 70KM winds.

Snowstormcanuck, I did see the blizzard warning for Hamilton. It’s funny how that word conjures up images of the storms from the late 70s. I understand Environment Canada changed the requirements though. It looks like you only need 4 hours of 40KM winds with visibility less than 400 meters to acheive the warning. That criteria is way easier to achieve, I don’t think these warnings will be quite so rare in the future. I hope they don’t lose their mystique. Anyway I’ll enjoy the warning for now, hopefully the storm doesn’t bust, especially with the increase expectations. The last time I checked the high res models were still pushing 12"+ snows. Hopefully the dry slot does not cut into those totals too much. I think the winds will make or break this storm. A 10” to 12” snowfall is a completely different beast when accompanied with 70KM winds.

Yeah, I think we'll all enjoy this storm because of its crippling effects, even though the snow isn't going to be quite as impressive as it looked a couple of days ago. And I'm glad the criteria for a blizzard warning was lowered. It's pretty stupid to have a warning that can never be issued because the criteria are essentially beyond what is climotologically possible.

Archived