MidwestChaser

• Replies 974
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT  
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE INDIANAPOLIS IN  
605 PM EST TUE FEB 01 2011     

.TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON     
.DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.                
..REMARKS..    

0540 PM     ICE STORM        7 SE INDIANAPOLIS       39.70N 86.05W   
02/01/2011                   MARION             IN   TRAINED SPOTTER                 

1.5 INCHES OF SLEET. 1/4 - 1/2 INCHES OF ICE.  

Just got home, usual 20 min tops commute took 1.5 hrs. Sounds like a severe thunderstorm warning outside. BARE GRASS. Winds probably sustained 35, gusting to 50. It's absolutely nuts. Going to wait for heavy returns to the south then i'll go out snapping pics and such. But this wind, wow.

Just made it home after one HELL of a drive. Whiteout conditions at times in the open country out here. I have no idea how much snow we've picked up so far, but just guessing it's 3-4". Haven't looked at models yet, but judging by the radar the heaviest snow may hit even closer to the QC,.

KWQC saying 9-13" (stubborn...since they said it a day and two ago they are sticking with it)....NWS Moline saying 21 inches Moline...that is a huge difference...I think the NWS is more accurate

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT  
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE INDIANAPOLIS IN  
609 PM EST TUE FEB 01 2011     

.TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON     
.DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.                
..REMARKS..    

0557 PM     ICE STORM        4 S INDIANAPOLIS        39.72N 86.15W   
02/01/2011                   MARION             IN   NWS EMPLOYEE                    

POWER LINES DOWN.    

KWQC saying 9-13" (stubborn...since they said it a day and two ago they are sticking with it)....NWS Moline saying 21 inches Moline...that is a huge difference...I think the NWS is more accurate

Agree that they are being stubborn and that the NWS is more accurate. KCRG is saying Ottumwa already has 8 inches of snow and thats just going to move up to QC.

uploading a quick vid now, we were under only 10-15 dbz when it was taken but it gives you a good idea of the wind, sustained and strong. Once we get a few more inches down, all hell will break loose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_GHhkoViLQ

That is AWESOME. I love wind. My favorite meteorological phenomenon.

Im this blizzard, how do you measure? You just try your best not to over or underdo it. A snowboard is useless, not to mention there is all the old snow on the ground. I took some extra precautions for trying to get as accurate a measurment as possible by clearing extra spots, but its really going to be hard for all in this storm!

Archived