joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 31-February 2 Historic Winter Storm part 9

MidwestChaser

• Replies 974
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For folks worrying about the dry radar hole it should fill in quick--it does seem the PV max is continuing to deepen with continued height falls as it propagates eastward. With that dry mid-level region I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes unstable and rapidly fills in with convection as height continue to fall aloft. You can see that beginning to show on WV.

I agree and if you loop the Multi-parm MUCAPE on SPC analysis it shows it developing east of Beau....but I suspect more will develop in the deformation zone as expected.

One thing I'm noticing is the flake size is pretty small, even when we had the heavier snows. Hopefully these bands about to rotate up thru here will start increasing flake size or we might have some trouble making the middle of the road NWS accumulations. That said, I hope its on my point and click is 17-22" total. I do believe the QC will be in an area that see some of the heaviest totals. The pivot point is going to be very near or over us I think.

I think this is where the winds are messing up the snow growth. We're probably getting shattered dendrites here, I'll definitely be curious to see what they can measure up at DVN this 6 hours.

One thing I'm noticing is the flake size is pretty small, even when we had the heavier snows. Hopefully these bands about to rotate up thru here will start increasing flake size or we might have some trouble making the middle of the road NWS accumulations. That said, I hope its on my point and click is 17-22" total. I do believe the QC will be in an area that see some of the heaviest totals. The pivot point is going to be very near or over us I think.

The flake size is quite small here. I'm really hoping the darker green band approaching I-80 near Iowa City will make it up here. Might be some better size with those flakes.

I was 9 yo living in Ft Wayne for the '78 blizzard, which I believe set my love for weather and forecasting/obs....climbing on our roof from drifts. In fact, a "weather kit" for Christmas beforehand, and the barometer fluid rushing up and into the jar - old school. I digress, I have never seen this much sleet in my life. It is at least 6" deep on my deck and drive, and still going. As Hoosier said, a "bucket list" to do - I have no complaints with this winter - at all!! A fill in this weekend, and more Mon-Wed next week - happy camper.

:P

Just got home, usual 20 min tops commute took 1.5 hrs. Sounds like a severe thunderstorm warning outside. BARE GRASS. Winds probably sustained 35, gusting to 50. It's absolutely nuts. Going to wait for heavy returns to the south then i'll go out snapping pics and such. But this wind, wow.

I finally made it home, my 45-60 minute commute totaled a whopping 3.5 hours. Lake Shore Drive was the most exhilarating part of the trip. At time I couldn't see the car in front of me due to the wind-whipped snow off the lakefront. There was already about 4" or 6" of snow accumulated on the drive due to it being thrown by the wind. Between North Avenue and Irving Park I passed 3 stalled cars stuck in the snow. Wild out there.

i really can't imagine any large dendrites surviving with these winds, no matter how ridiculous the returns, it's like a sandblaster out there.

yep and that will likely knock down accumulations by at least 4-6" I think. Large dendrites just can't survive this kind of wind, no matter how intense the echoes or available moisture. It's just pouring small tiny flakes here.

I finally made it home, my 45-60 minute commute totaled a whopping 3.5 hours. Lake Shore Drive was the most exhilarating part of the trip. At time I couldn't see the car in front of me due to the wind-whipped snow off the lakefront. There was already about 4" or 6" of snow accumulated on the drive due to it being thrown by the wind. Between North Avenue and Irving Park I passed 3 stalled cars stuck in the snow. Wild out there.

just tried to go rooftop.....yeah not happening. Hard to standup straight.

i really can't imagine any large dendrites surviving with these winds, no matter how ridiculous the returns, it's like a sandblaster out there.

we had all small flakes today, except for a period of 20 to 30min this morning around 530, then it was very large flakes(probably when we got most of our acculation)

snowfall 3.5 inches total here (approx, hard to tell with 25-35mph winds all night last night and today)

-current avitar is of this storm not that long ago

The flake size is quite small here. I'm really hoping the darker green band approaching I-80 near Iowa City will make it up here. Might be some better size with those flakes.

Small flakes continue here, but very intense. Visibilty has fallen even more , now less than 250 yards. I went out to plow our road and travel is almost impossible now.15" is almost a certainty looking at the radar. I kinda doubt that 7.7" in Ottumwa because I'm south of town and had only about 5" at that same time at most.

Congrats Bowme!!!!!

See i told ya.....MKE in the snow, its money back here :thumbsup:

Thanks much bro! I've been a nervous, negative nellie for the past 6 days. I just cant believe this is going to happen.. I hate like crazy and kinna takes some away from the storm that folks to the SE and S have to deal with missing out on the snow or have to deal with the dangerous ice storm situation.. I never thought from the 1st day this thread was made I had a chance... now look where I am..

Dinner time.. its ice cold... wifes pissed lol. cya all later.

Archived